'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
on buying a horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-13 4:43 PM
5 replies, 3548 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-01-12 8:50 PM (#97390)
Subject: on buying a horse

I imagine everyone here already knows this, but I post it in hopes that it will help some of us sellers of horses.  Recently I and some friends have had people try to negotiate a horse's selling price both before and after seeing the horse.  If a buyer really wants to deal on a horse (assuming the horse is suitable) then the buyer should show up with cash money and a trailer.  I will not negotiate except in person because it is an absolute waste of time, unless it is a relationship of long standing and I know that the person will hold up his/her bargain and come get the animal if we make an agreement.  An oral agreement is worth the paper it is written on and that also applies to negotiating via email. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-01-12 9:50 PM (#97393 - in reply to #97390)
Subject: RE: on buying a horse

Elite Veteran

I can't imagine anyone negotiating a price before looking at the horse! How does one know it's temperment, conformation and whether they even get along with the horse if is trained and broke to ride. And how about the vet check too. All these items are very imporant when considering purchasing a horse/mule.... at least they are to me. Even if the horse was very cheap or is free, I'd still get a vet check. Costs as much to feed a lame/ill tempered horse as a good one.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-01-13 9:34 AM (#97414 - in reply to #97390)

ponytammy.........thank you; you make me feel like I am not unreasonable.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-01-13 11:21 AM (#97426 - in reply to #97390)

Extreme Veteran

Better to be safe that sorry.  An unsuitable horse will be a big headache for a long time, unless you manage to pawn it off on some other unsuspecting buyer, and then you have to face yourself in the mirror every morning.  I always want to look the horse in the eye, get a vet check, and look at any vet records that might be available.

Marla

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-13 2:07 PM (#97435 - in reply to #97390)

Elite Veteran

Rose, you are taking a common sense approach to an age old problem and I admire your thinking.  The economy is bringing out the "vulture" in people in other areas too, not just the horse industry.  Because the economy is in the toilet, poeple think that everyone trying to sell something is in desperate need of cash, lightening their load or both.  To some people, this is "a license to steal" while you are watching.  Unfortunately, this brings out the vultures and that's when things start getting ugly.  I'm a contractor and if I have a potential customer start off working me over on the price, I know the whole job is going to be a pain in the butt!  Same thing applies to selling when you are the seller.  If the potential buyer tries to take control of the money right away, it's going to be a bad deal.  In the beginning the buyer has the money and rule is, "the one with the gold, rules." 

Next time a buyer tries to take control of the situation by working the price down prematurely, treat them like they are a tele-marketer...........hang up on them.

deranger

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-01-13 4:43 PM (#97446 - in reply to #97390)

Expert

I agree with Rose wholeheartedly. While i have discussed  horses I have for sale online I always suggest one come on out see the horse, ride them etc. Since distance can be a factor- I try to get video clips or dvd sent to a buyer so if the horse doesn't catch their eye, we can stop wasting each others time. I can usually tell if a buyer is serious or not- if the discussion stays around price and they are not willing to come and see the horse, then they are just fishing around.

Rose- you are not unreasonable

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)