'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
?: Aftermarket additions to new truck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-21 9:53 AM
6 replies, 3373 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-12-19 2:33 PM (#96292)
Subject: ?: Aftermarket additions to new truck

Regular

Hi gang,

I am looking at trading in my 2001 F-150 for a new 1/2 ton and need some advice.  I bought my F-150 used and it had all these accessories already on it: bug guard, siderails, tonneau cover, bedliner.

I will probably add bedliner, tonneau cover, and siderails (or some kind of step), and mudflaps instead of having them factory installed on the new truck, as economics dictate. It looks really expensive to have the dealer put these things on.   I am not handy, do not have handy friends or relatives to do these installations for me.  Furthermore, it is cold here in Minnesota and I do not have a garage (no place clean, dry, or warm to work in), even if it were possible to do the work myself. 

So, I've seen these accessories at FleetFarm.  Is that what I would do: buy these from a retailer (watching for a sale) and take them to a auto repair place to have them put in for me?  Or do I contact a body shop?  Or do I have the dealer do it? 

Looking forward to your advice,   Jean

Edited by Jean F. 2008-12-19 2:35 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 2:46 PM (#96293 - in reply to #96292)
Subject: RE: ?: Aftermarket additions to new truck

There are shops that specialize in sales and installation of aftermarket accessories. I'd probably look into a shop like that. I would also probably get a quote from your local dealer- who knows- they might not be as expensive as you think.

Good luck!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-19 4:09 PM (#96295 - in reply to #96292)

Expert

Originally written by Jean F. on 2008-12-19 3:33 PM

So, I've seen these accessories at FleetFarm.  Is that what I would do: buy these from a retailer (watching for a sale) and take them to a auto repair place to have them put in for me?  Or do I contact a body shop?  Or do I have the dealer do it? 

Looking forward to your advice,   Jean

With the exception of the bed liner, most of the accessories you've mentioned are available through mail order catalogues, Ebay, the internet, or automotive accessories/parts stores. I've found that mail order and the Internet are the least expensive source for parts, and that OEM dealers are the most expensive.

Running boards or rails, mud flaps etc are easily installed by anyone with minimal tools and a basic mechanical knowledge. With all the recent unemployment bad news, one only has to look for out of work dealership mechanics, looking for spare change. They can easily install what you are considering, in their's or your garage, at the wages they are paid, and not what the dealership charges.

The best bed liners are the sprayed in type. Also because of the economic downturn, the liner companies are willing to lower their actual installation costs from their advertised pricing.

One only has to ask, "Is this your best price?" By asking this way, you are not suggesting that his price is too high or insulting him in any way. However, you will give the impression that you are willing to shop, and that for the right price, you are ready to make a purchase. You will find that many businesses are now willing to "dicker" over their pricing.

Gard

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-12-20 10:50 AM (#96310 - in reply to #96292)

Elite Veteran

If you are getting a new truck, I would try to negotiate these items into the deal. Ford actually has factory installed step rails or running boards that are less expensive than most after market ones. A good friend just bought a new Dodge duelly CC and got his B & W hitch, running boards, mud flaps and P3 brake controller (all his choice) include in his deal for about $900. It's amazing what dealers can do when they want to make a deal. Especially in these economic times.
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-12-20 4:10 PM (#96328 - in reply to #96292)

Veteran

I'd sure go for Line-X rather than a bed liner if the budget will take it.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-12-20 10:42 PM (#96337 - in reply to #96292)

Expert

Ford usually offers a commercial upfit rebate.  I've collected that rebate on the last 3 trucks that I've bought.

You need to prove you are a business.  so if you can prove you own a small business ( maybe a farm?) you can collect the rebate.  Proof is usually a check book with your business name, business license from the city or state, business tax return etc.

It varies from quarter to quarter what Ford will offer, so the dealer wil have to fill you in. But usually $500 with out reciepts or $1000 to $1500 with reciepts. And it will vary on the trucks.  Sometimes its only on 1 ton and bigger trucks.

By reciepts, I mean you have to buy something that Ford factory doesn't offer as a factory option and have it installed on your new truck. examples will be Tool Boxes, Special racks for hauling stuff, special beds or bodies, speical paint to reflect your company image.  Things that don't count are fancy radios,  tires, wheels, lift kits  etc.

I usually get my spray in bed liner, gooseneck hitch, roll up tonneau cover.  The rebate is usually something like they will give you $1000 if you spend $1500.  It's not a $1 rebate for $1 spent.

Like I said check with your dealer for exactly what they offer now.  In my opinion every little bit helps.

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-12-21 9:53 AM (#96344 - in reply to #96292)

Veteran

The next time your at Fleet Farm, stop in to the auto shop and ask what they would charge to add the accessories purchased from them.  This may allow you to add them as your budget permits.

Turfa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)