'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another trailer danger area.This is a NEW one on me

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-13 8:08 AM
35 replies, 15650 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-22 6:09 AM (#93398 - in reply to #93299)
Subject: RE: Another trailer danger area.This is a NEW one on me

Expert

Links to the Exiss CX300 specifications. Looks like a pretty nice trailer, didn't realize they had a dressing/tack room. Empty weight 4460, bet it pulls good.

http://exiss.com/php/horse/products/product_detail.php?MODEL_ID=1710211

http://exiss.com/php/horse/products/spec.php?MODEL_ID=1710211

http://exiss.com/php/horse/products/product.floorplan.php?MODEL_ID=1710211

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-10-22 6:39 AM (#93399 - in reply to #93299)

Expert

Pulls good.Was the same sort of trailer as my CM Ranger was.I like a big rear door for colts,old mares with no manners and hauling trash,furniture etc.Beware that the rear divider doesn't fit into the trailer opened all the way or collapse poor design.Had to BUY a telescoping rear divider. That was STANDARD on the CM and on my neighbors Silver Star it fit's into the trailer and doesn't overhang the three inches or so that it did on this CX300.Had to make stainless and brass latches to fold dividers back and latch them.Between that and a new divider it took the fun out of buying new.Now a hole in the roof.Just NOW have sold the old divider on EBay.But yes it pulls good.Looks good.Sure has a LOT of pop rivits.LOL
drafthorsejunkie
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-22 10:51 AM (#93413 - in reply to #93378)

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-10-21 8:50 PM

Originally written by drafthorsejunkie on 2008-10-21 1:03 PM

How awful. So glad the horse is ok

I have to say, I am NOT surprised it was an Exiss. Our Exiss sport was junk! I hated it, and was terrified to use it after I saw how easily everything fell apart. Not putting down your trailer, I just personally hate Exiss and will never ever own another one.

Hounddog's particular trailer is NOT a Sport model,it is an Event.

I didnt say that trailer was a sport...ours was.

I realize the sport is their low end trailer. I did not however realize that when we bought it. I personally will never even consider any trailer from Exiss, ever again. If they are going to build something as unsafe and cheap as the trailer we had, and put it on the market, I want nothing to do with any of the models. Yep, I am bitter about that trailer...and maybe over opinionated on it, but I had a bad experience. Our trailer was only 3 years old, had only been used a handful of times when we bought it, we used it only a few times, and it was literally falling apart. it was always well mantained too. I truely wish I had done some info searching before purchase. I assumed since it was a big, well known name, it would be good. I will never make that assumption again.

Ok, done with my long rant

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-22 11:47 AM (#93415 - in reply to #93413)

Expert

We have an Exiss Event 3H 12'SW LQ with Sierra Conversion.I'd buy another Exiss.The trailer itself has been fine.We've had a few tweaks with the LQ conversion,however.But nothing with the trailer itself,we are very pleased with ours,and there are plenty of Exiss bashing threads on HTW already,so,I hope this one doesn't turn into yet another one.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-10-22 11:57 AM (#93417 - in reply to #93299)

Expert

Ours is an Event 2001 SS310, and has been great, no complaints at all.  Would do it again. Goes to elk camp out west with a load of mules, multiple trail ride campouts in the Ozarks, hauls the 4-wheeler to deer camp, just has been used and always been sound and solid.

You know what they say, Never and always are words that you should always remember never to use!

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-10-24 5:22 AM (#93520 - in reply to #93299)

Elite Veteran

I also have an Exiss Event 3h 8ft LQ. I have never had a problem with the trailer it self. The only problem i did have was a water line going to the HW Heater and it was a simple fix. I hope that this is my last trailer but if I did buy again it will most likely be another Exiss....
l keller
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-12 8:28 PM (#94803 - in reply to #93378)

New User

I must agree with the post of Gard...A frightened or spooked horse can do an incredible amount of damage.  As an Impound Manager for the state of GA for the past two years, I have seen horses horrible horrible shape do some horrible damage to everything in sight, humans, trailers (steel and aluminum), stalls, washrack, fencing...you name it.  You all know this with your best horses...they are flight animals.

In our research (of which you can image there was ALOT with the state) of trailers....we still continue to be VERY pleased with our Exiss trailers.  While we do have one steel trailer, it is not used on impoundments.  We use the Exiss STK 20 and 24 trailer exclusively.  Dollar or dollar, pound for pound they were (and still are) the best deal we can find.  You must remember that we hem up, corral and load in to these Exiss trailers MANY horses who have never been loaded,  let alone barely seen a human.  So, you can imagine their are some rocking and rolling moments going on!

While I have had many horses rear up in the Exiss trailer, have seen dents from their heads, never had I had one tear the roof, NEVER, and this impounding an average of 600 horses a year.

In a perfect world, nothing would ever tear up, break, or get messed up.  But we know, especially with horses, that never seems to be the case, usually the exact opposite seems to be the rule....if you have it, the horses will damage it.  So, we have had some damage to our Exiss trailers, but our local dealer has taken care of every little problem (which are very few in our scheme of things).  One final word on the Exiss...there is a reason we use them, and a reason Houston Animal Police use them....they are stout, dependable trailers at an affordable price and they offer great service.  I am curious if you have had your trailer now repaired by either your local Exiss trailer or Exiss themselves?

Just my .02 but I would not have a trailer than the Exiss!  We haul horses, donkies, mules and even the occasional zorse and zonkey...all very smoothly in the Exiss...our trouble is getting them in the thing and them getting them out!!  LOL!

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-11-12 9:34 PM (#94805 - in reply to #93299)

Expert

Had JBJconversions.com do the repair. About 60 miles from me .(120 round trip)Real nice folks to deal with.Angelia deldt with Exiss direct.TJ with Exiss warranty was easy to deal with and concerned about the repair and damage.JBJ cut out the damaged area to a round hole and added a patch.Exiss paid for it and paid for a roof liner in the horse area so you can't see the patch from inside.Plus the liner will help absorb any other impacts .Looking at some  of the other brands of trailers on their lot I did NOT find the Exiss to be  the quality the others were .It looks low end compared to the other aluminum trailers I looked at .They all had roof liners and stouter looking welds and more substance in general .Tie backs for dividers and such. Plus best I could tell all the rear dividers would fit in the trailer with rear doors shut. The EVENT is suppose to be Exiss high end but it sure doesn't hold up under close comparison to the other brands I saw.Its a ok trailer but by no means a top tier.I could see if it flipped over how horses legs could bust through the roof.Pretty thin stuff.For what I paid for the trailer I got what I paid for.But by NO means in my mind would it be worth anywhere near the MSRP price tag it had.The problem with shopping for one is the distance between the brands to be able to compare or side by side.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-13 7:28 AM (#94811 - in reply to #93299)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for the trouble you have had with your Exiss.  We also own two Exiss Event trailers; one is a large LQ and the other is a STK16 BP trailer.  The BP stays in the road.  My kids ride 4-H drill team and sometimes practice 3-4 times a week right before a competition.  I also use it to trail ride almost weekly.  On average I pull it at least 3 times a week; sometimes more and have had no issues with this trailer.  Even recently had my big gelding throw his head up and hit the celing.  He ended up with sutures and about 10 staples in the forehead.  I checked the trailer and except for a small dent in the roof their was no other damage.  I have had such great service out of mine; I hate to hear someone that purchased one that they were not happy with.  Good luck in finding a trailer you are satisfied with. 
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-11-13 8:04 AM (#94814 - in reply to #93299)

Expert

Not happy is not a proper statement .I could be OK with a multitude of trailers stating what I see and compare and the Exiss is not up there with the upper trailer ranks. Its ok .But for a MSRP of $17plus you'd think it would be more.Heck you can buy NEW CARS with AC for $17k or less.Lot more engineering/work/materials/skill in that then any of the horse trailers out there.I gave $12k and change for mine as a demo model.For the price I got what I paid for.But $17k I think not.Your horse hit a support beam to split his head open like that.The roof is not but .032 thick and I bet in a bad tempered mood I could put things through the roof.Lots of effort yes but not improbable .The Exiss warranty service I have used TWICE now.Both times quick and friendly support.The other was a wheel with paint or coating peeling.A new China made tire and I suspect China made wheel just showed up and no return slip or anything.I sent them a photo of wheel and tire and wheel showed up in 5 or 6 days.I paid $5600 for the CM Ranger I had.Yes it was steel but a LOT more material,welding,metal prep etc.was put into it plus it was slightly larger.I can see the Exiss being twice as much 13 years later but not 3 times as much.Heck a Harley Road King is about $17k with TONS more quality material and engineering put into it.Way more and THEY make a good profit on them.Trailer manufactures ought to be making a killing on these "horse trailers"
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-11-13 8:08 AM (#94815 - in reply to #93299)

Veteran

Hounddog,

It has been a pleasure helping you with your trailer trouble. We sincerely hope that you will get years of use out of your trailer. Please let us know if you need anything at all. I know that you are not trail riding now, but keep in touch and maybe we'll see you and Ms. Ellen out on a trail. Exiss has also been great to work with. Thanks TJ for all your help.

Best Of Luck & God Bless

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)