'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Interior ccok top vs. grill on the out site of the trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-01 2:54 PM
21 replies, 7917 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-10-29 6:53 AM (#93850)
Subject: Interior ccok top vs. grill on the out site of the trailer

Veteran

I am afraid if I get a cooktop for the inside of the trailer there is going to be splatter grease on the inside from cooking breakfast. Does anyone have one of those grills that hang on the outside of a trailer? Or how about just bringing along a portable table top gas grill? What do you campers think is the best for cooking?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 7:15 AM (#93852 - in reply to #93850)
Subject: RE: Interior ccok top vs. grill on the out site of the trailer

Elite Veteran

I have the inside cooktop and love it as it's one less thing to bring on a camping trip and is handy for all meals along with the microwave. Yes you do have clean-up, but you will with a grill as well. 

Many people prefer a grill and you can always bring one for grilling meats, etc.  I think it really comes down to personal preference.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-29 7:55 AM (#93853 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

Originally written by Ncatanz on 2008-10-29 7:53 AM

I am afraid if I get a cooktop for the inside of the trailer there is going to be splatter grease on the inside from cooking breakfast. Does anyone have one of those grills that hang on the outside of a trailer? Or how about just bringing along a portable table top gas grill? What do you campers think is the best for cooking?

I would get the inside cook top, works good for an alternitive heat source. Throw a charcoal grill in the back of the truck, or a couple concrete blocks and a refridgerator rack for grilling outside!

If you're afraid of grease spatter and making a mess, you may want to go this route for breakfast.... Add a little "All Bran" and save the grease for someone elses arteries.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=124

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-29 8:30 AM (#93855 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

The inside cook top is very convenient and always ready to be used regardless of weather, without having to arrange anything first.

Some issues are: it takes up counter space. A wooden cutting board placed over the burners recovers that space. Some are recessed, and have built in covers; The splash issue is easily fixed by installing an easy to clean, attractive wall covering around the areas of the burners. There are various tiles, metallic, and natural that can be affixed. Various sheet materials can be added, sourced from big box stores, lumber yards etc. Because the area is small, the cost and time is minimal to install these coverings.

If you intend on a lot of grilling, meats for multiple dinners etc, an inexpensive portable gas grill works well outside. They are small enough to store easily, and large enough to serve quite a good number of hungry people.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 10:10 AM (#93861 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

I rarely used the two burner cooktop in my LQ.  Most things I just heat up int he Microwave. Oatmeal, sweet rolls for breakfast, soups for lunch and veggies, chilli or stew for dinner.

I do like to grill outside.  The smoke sets off the LQ's smoke alarm if I try to cook that kind of stuff inside.  I also use a George Foreman grill to cook a lot of the meat that I eat. It's fast and easy.  Chicken breast, Salmon, pork chop are all very quick to cook.

I tried one of those RVQ's that hang on the side of the trailer. Was not impressed. It didn't put out enough heat to cook. That may have been a factor of every time I used it I was at elevation in the mountains. The George Foreman is much faster. A whole lot easier to clean up and much smaller to store away.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 10:48 AM (#93868 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

I've never used our cooktop in the trailer.I either microwave things,pre-cook them and refrigerate them to heat up,or grill outside on a portable grill.I'd rather not deal with the smell and the cleanup,not to mention,I'm just funny about an open flame deal inside the trailer,myself.

BTW,Rentento,I think there are a lot of warnings about using the cooktop on either your grill inside,or a gas cookstove in the house for a heating source.Better off with a portable plug in heater.

"I would get the inside cook top, works good for an alternitive heat source"

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-29 11:17 AM (#93872 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

(Quote CRG)... BTW,Rentento,I think there are a lot of warnings about using the cooktop on either your grill inside,or a gas cookstove in the house for a heating source.Better off with a portable plug in heater.

OK, here you go. You're out in the bush, no electricity, no generator.. You been outside all day, damp, cold, fingers numb, tingling!!... There you sit staring at that cook top... Whatcha gonna do with them fingers!!! You know exactly what you'll do, you'll be grilling them fingers in short order!! LOL!! Anyway, what's the difference from dying from CO poisoning from the cook stove -vs- dying from CO poisoning from one of those little portable LPG heaters? One of those Mr. Heater type devises.... Anyone with one eye and half sense would know that you need a CO detector and some, ventilation when cooking or heating with an open flame...... You would hope!!

Anyway, what do I know, I don't have a gas cooktop, gas grill or a sink/sinks, or a L.Q.'s!! I do have that pot to pee in that everyone talks about...... But even that may be gone after next TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4th 2008!!     BYE!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 12:19 PM (#93878 - in reply to #93872)

Expert

I'd rather given the choices,not die from Co2 poisoning from either source.yes,if I was out in the bush without electricity or a generator,I'd probably grill my fingers.But,as of now,I have no plans to be out in the bush with a LQ and no way to use it.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-29 2:16 PM (#93886 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

I have seen the cooktops with the lid. When the lid is raised, it gives a nice metal "backdrop" for splatters in that direction.

I would only use a cooktop for non-splattery kind of cooking, myself.  (Soup, coffee, noodles, etc.)

I take a grill grate that attaches to a post that I drive into the ground by any firepit. The grill rotates around the post and raises and lowers. Any splattery cooking, I do outside.

But then, I go where there's no place to plug in and I don't have battery-back up   or a generator.

Ha ha ha ... I guess I must have an Amish LQ.  

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-10-29 5:26 PM (#93893 - in reply to #93850)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Ncatanz on 2008-10-29 6:53 AM

I love having a stove top in my RV, wish I had an oven. Having said that...I would strongly recommend that you do not fry bacon in your LQ. Yes...it's tends to make a mess and the smell of the honey cured bacon was in my RV...for weeks. HAHA! I have seen lots of RVs & LQ's with those grills attached to the side of the rig. I have always wondered if the heat or grease damage the rig's side walls?? I have a little portable grill that I use for grilling and from on now...I'll use my portable camping stove for bacon.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 6:38 PM (#93897 - in reply to #93850)

Elite Veteran

I've had a couple of LQs and never wanted a cooktop inside because of smelly upholstery...I do have a two burner electric unit that I use outside on a table under my awning for quick cooking... usually we prefer cooking over a campfire and with cast iron...the food is delicious!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-29 6:54 PM (#93898 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

Purchase the precooked bacon and heat it up in the micro wave. No grease
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-10-29 7:03 PM (#93900 - in reply to #93897)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by calamityj on 2008-10-29 6:38 PM
usually we prefer cooking over a campfire and with cast iron...the food is delicious!

Oh...you lucky cook! I have a friend who cooks all her meals in a dutch oven, yummy. Me...I'm not a cook. I would rather eat salads, fruit/veggies and fresh stuff like that. But when my hubby comes camping with me, he loves traditional camping food and a big breakfast. So, I cook for him.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-10-29 7:12 PM (#93901 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

I have a 2 burner cooktop with stainless lid that folds over, use it every time, along with the microwave and a toaster oven.  I also take a Holland Companion gas grill (which does tasty bacon, too) which will doubles as a 400 degree oven.  Works great.
scrid'ngirl
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-29 8:15 PM (#93905 - in reply to #93850)

New User

I think it boils down to what you personally like. For us, we used our inside cooktop for the first time in 4 yrs a few weeks ago. We ran out of outside burners. We use a coleman camping cooktop outside so the LQ doesn't smell of grease or other foods. Also there's so much more room to move around outside. We have multiple tables set up and lots of room to work. We have decided if we were to custom build another LQ we would eliminate the inside cooktop, definitely have a microwave, and get the biggest ref/freezer we could. Ice cream after a summer ride just sounds perfect! 51
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 9:12 PM (#93913 - in reply to #93901)

Expert

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2008-10-29 7:12 PM

I have a 2 burner cooktop with stainless lid that folds over, use it every time, along with the microwave and a toaster oven.  I also take a Holland Companion gas grill (which does tasty bacon, too) which will doubles as a 400 degree oven.  Works great.

That Holland Companion is a jewel,isn't it!??!!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-29 9:34 PM (#93915 - in reply to #93850)

Expert

We have a cooktop in our camper but we carry a folding table and a camp stove to do most of our cooking outside unless the weather is bad.   We also have a portable propane grill we keep in the camper.  We don't cook much indoors when we go to enjoy the outdoors.  And it is so much easier to use the outdoor shower to rinse the table and grill off before packing them away again.  Oh, and my sister just got me one of these for my horse trailer since I don't have a LQ.  My kitchen away from home, it even has the sink but man is it heavy!!   http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0019854518749a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ne=2510&nyr=1&Ntk=Products&QueryText=kitchen&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=4450&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-10-30 10:53 AM (#93946 - in reply to #93850)

I think it all comes down to what kind of cooking you do when you go camping.  We have a cooktop and an oven in out trailer.  My wife does lots of cooking at home and on the road.  Some people do very little cooking even at home so may not use a stove much while camping.  There's nothing like fresh baked rolls for breakfast in the morning to start the day off right.  We do alot of cooking on the fire but also use the stove when its needed.  As far as the trailer smelling lide food inside, I guess ours usually smells enough like horsed to override that.  And yes, I have used the cooktop for a quick warm up without gassing myself.  I used to stay in a small trailer while hunting and the temps were down around 0.  The first thing I would do in the morning without getting out of the sleeping bag was reach over and light all 3 burners on the stove.  The furnace would only put out enough heat to keep it above freezing and the stove would warm it up nicely in a few min.  Although I remember one night one guy had his boots freeze to the floor. 

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-31 11:56 AM (#94039 - in reply to #93915)

Elite Veteran

Terri,

I looked at those, but ended up just buying the table without all the other gadgets (which was hard not to.. I am the gadget queen extrordinaire!)  I haven't used it yet.. We went to Bandera this week, and rented the campsite with the fire pit and picnic table, etc.. i just used the picnic table as my kitchen and eating table.. The weather was cool, but beautiful and we had a good time...... Let me know how you like your kitchen..

bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-11-01 7:39 AM (#94066 - in reply to #93850)

We have both-a 3 burner cooktop in our LQ and a Coleman Road Trip Grill. The grill is LP and you can switch out the grates so you can have a cooktop,grill or griddle. It doesn't come with all the cooktops you have to buy the ones you like as an accessory. It really comes in handy. They can be purchased at Coleman's website or I believe Walmart's website has them too. They also have their own stand and fold up real nice. We have had ours for a couple of years and it is a good product. Haven't had any trouble with it. We use it alot. I also use my cooktop in the LQ for my morning coffee.
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-01 10:08 AM (#94070 - in reply to #93850)

Veteran

Wow that Holland Companion gas grill is nice, I would if you could bake a cake in it? IT is pricey but it looks like it would last a long time.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-11-01 2:54 PM (#94074 - in reply to #93850)

We have the Holland Companion grill stashed away in out LQ trailer. LOVE IT! It does cook slower than our big Holland grill at home.  The LQ we sold last year had the outdoor grill mount on the side of the trailer. We never used it as we were scared we would soot up the side of the trailer. As for the interior , we have the  dropped  gas stove top that stays hidden until we need it. Rarely use it unless I have to make coffee real early and don't want to wake anyone starting the generator. We had one trailer that had like a hotplate you sat on the counter. But an IRS agent friend told me that it did not count as a fully self contained unit unless it was hardwired.

quote "Wow that Holland Companion gas grill is nice, I would if you could bake a cake in it? IT is pricey but it looks like it would last a long time"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)