'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Totaled Trailer - Salvage Value?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-13 4:16 AM
5 replies, 14122 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

frbo_jb
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-12 3:17 AM (#94737)
Subject: Totaled Trailer - Salvage Value?

My 2003 Sooner was totaled by tree falling on it during Sept. windstorm.  The LQ area with many options did not get too badly damaged - mostly the ring around roof.  Several peope have told me to ask insurance company for price to salvage & keep myself.  I just want a new trailer, but they tell me people are interested in buying the trailer for parts and LQ conversions.  How much should my insurance company charge me and then, how much would it go for on market?  Thanks for any advice anyone could provide me in this situation.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-12 6:26 AM (#94739 - in reply to #94737)
Subject: RE: Totaled Trailer - Salvage Value?

Extreme Veteran

only your insurance company can determine its worth, after all, they will be writing the check.  You have to determine if its worth buying it back from them.  It sounds like a big hassle to me.  Who's going to part it out?  You?   When it's finally gutted, someone still has to haul off whats left.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-12 8:30 AM (#94741 - in reply to #94737)

Expert

I don't know about trailers, but with automobiles, once a payoff is made to the owner, he can buy the vehicle for 10% of the payoff price. This is a very reasonable way for a DIYer to obtain enough equipment to outfit another trailer, or if he's handy, rebuild the "totaled" trailer.

A good fabrication shop can readily effect structural repairs. It may be worth a trip to one, for a guesstimate on what it would take to make things right again. If the frame and under carriage are not damaged, the box structure has straight forward construction, and aluminum materials are available from many sources.

If the trailer is economically beyond repair, the price of aluminum is quite high right now. Once the trailer was stripped, the empty box would be worth a significant amount of money at a recycling facility.

If I were to encounter this situation, I would definitely purchase the trailer from the insurance company.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-11-12 11:29 AM (#94755 - in reply to #94737)

Expert

If you do not the time or experience to mess with tearing the trailer apart and parting the varous componets. It will be much simpler to just take the check the insurance company gives you and go buy a new trailer. No headaches. Just move on.

If you buy back the totalled trailer, You can as gard suggested take it to a somebody skilled in rebuilding that type of structure.  If there is a trailer maker close by ( even if it's not the same manufacture as yours) , they may be willing to rebuild your trailer. I know that near by to me is a company that used to make their own brand of trailers.  They have discountinued making trailers but still sell parts and repair trailers.

If you choose to part out the trailer.  You will have to store it someplace, take the parts out and advertise and sell the various parts. You wull have to deal with people wanting to dicker over price, whether their checks are any good, possible shipping parts.  You may make some money doing so, but is it worth your time and effort.  Or would your time be better spent at your regular job. If you are retired with nothing to do. go for it. I don't have enough hours in the day as it is, I'd have to earn big check to justify the time away from my normal activities to justify the effort.

Also to be considered is the finances of doing this.  If you buy back the salvaged trailer, It will take some of the settlement money to buy the salvaged trailer.  It may take some time for you to sell all the parts.  That may mean you don't have as much money to spend on a new trailer today.  Can you fill in the deficit on the new trailer and wait for the rest of the money to trickle in.  Do you need a new trailer this winter or can you 6 months to a year to collect the rest of the money before buying a new trailer.  I'll venture that any new trailer you buy will cost more than the trailer you just lost.  Steel and Aluminum jumped over 7% in 2007 and I'l bet 2008 price increases are more than that. I know tha the steel I use in the construction business has jumped over 50% this past summer alone. Even with a slow economy and dealers willing to take less profit to just move inventory, their cost to purchase from the manufactures, I'm sure has increased.  You will pay more to buy a 2008 (or you may be looking at a 2009 mode this late in the year) than you did to buy a 2003 trailer.

frbo_jb
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-13 2:50 AM (#94807 - in reply to #94755)

Thank you to everyone for your advice.  I do not want to be in the parts busy.  However, now one of the collision companies who estimated the trailer "total" has offered me $1,000 over my cost to purchase as salvage from the insurance company.  It sounds like a great deal; however, I'm worried about that ole saying "if it seems to be too good to be true...."

I guess now I need to know how to get a "salvage title."  I have lien on trailer.  So, I think I will have to involve them, too?

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-13 4:16 AM (#94808 - in reply to #94737)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like the guy from the collision company is trying to scam both you and the insurance company. Why is it suddenly worth an extra $1000?  Maybe he was hoping to buy it back cheap from the insurance company, until he thought you might want it back  Sounds Fishy to me.  Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)