'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New truck, installing wt. dist. hitch ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-24 7:25 AM
1 replies, 2320 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spotter
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-23 5:54 PM (#91997)
Subject: New truck, installing wt. dist. hitch ?

New User

Just bought an '06 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, and would like to use a weight distributing hitch. My old truck was a Dodge, and it sat up quite a bit higher, so my old regular ball mount is too low by a long way, and I figured now's as good a time as any to go for the wt. dist. setup. So....bought the setup, and have some questions. First of all, the measurement from the ground to the top of the coupler on the trailer ('05 Hawk 2H) is 18". On the new ball and shank, the lowest the ball can go is 20", which seems too high. The wheel well measurements change in back from 37.5 inches to 36, and the front goes up from 36 to 37.5. Do I need a different shank with a bit more drop?
Second, the instructions that came with the hitch weren't exactly detailed, for someone who's never set one of these up before...when they talk about getting the angle right for the ball, and talk about the "drop" or angle the trunion bars hang when loose from the trailer, according to what I'm guessing, the end of the bars should hang about 6 1/2" inches up from ground level when unhooked?
Thanks for any advice you may have....I'll get this figured out one way or another!

Edited by spotter 2008-09-23 5:57 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-24 7:25 AM (#92024 - in reply to #91997)
Subject: RE: New truck, installing wt. dist. hitch ?

Expert

I would say load up the trailer and see how that shank works.  What brand hitch is it?  Have you checked the Reese website for their instructions?  Most of those hitches are basically the same. 

I believe most hitches call for 5 or 6 chain links under tension.  Trunnion style bars should angle slightly towards the ground when hooked up.  Think of it this way, the tilting of the ball/head is your main adjustment, chain links are your fine tunning.

I would just try to get the front back fender down close to where it started.  If you really want to play, go spend an afternoon at the scales.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)