'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help me get my trailer brakes working again,...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-26 10:20 AM
11 replies, 6831 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-08 10:00 PM (#91160)
Subject: Help me get my trailer brakes working again,...

Veteran

Help me figure this out so I don't have to take my truck in for them to fix it.

My trailer brakes are not working but my trailer lights are. When I push the brake pedal, the trailer brakes don't work on the trailer and the controller doesn't light up like normal. But, if I reach down and squeeze the brake controller, I can feel the trailer brakes work.  I think the point of failure is between the brakes and the controller. I took my truck (07 Chevy Duramax) in a while back to have a known issue fixed. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Now my trailer brakes don't work. So is it something under the hood that they didn't reconnect? Is it a fuse?  What do I need to look for to fix it?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-09-08 10:17 PM (#91162 - in reply to #91160)
Subject: RE: Help me get my trailer brakes working again,...

Expert

if your trailer brakes were working before they fix the problem, then you should take it back so they can fix the problem that they coursed
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-09 6:19 AM (#91165 - in reply to #91162)

Veteran

Originally written by loveduffy on 2008-09-08 10:17 PM

if your trailer brakes were working before they fix the problem, then you should take it back so they can fix the problem that they coursed

I was hoping to not have to go to the trouble and that it might be something simple I could check. That's why I posted the question on here. People on here usually have an answer.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-09 6:57 AM (#91168 - in reply to #91160)

Expert

Are the truck's brake lights coming on?  Is the controller new?  What kind is it?  Check your underhood fuse box for a fuse marked VEH CHMSL.  IIRC that used to be the circuit where the brake controller got it's signal.  Or get your tester and verify that power from the brake pedal is getting to the controller, that would probably be quicker.

I serviced the intermediate steering shaft myself, there was no reason to get in the fuse box.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-09 8:50 AM (#91174 - in reply to #91160)

Expert

Like Chad stated, with a meter check for voltage at the controller when you press on the brake pedal. Your hot wire is ok if you can manually activate the brakes. If someone worked in that area, it's possible that your brake source wire was inadvertently disconnected.
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-09 10:17 PM (#91216 - in reply to #91168)

Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2008-09-09 6:57 AM

Are the truck's brake lights coming on?  Is the controller new?  What kind is it?  Check your underhood fuse box for a fuse marked VEH CHMSL.  IIRC that used to be the circuit where the brake controller got it's signal.  Or get your tester and verify that power from the brake pedal is getting to the controller, that would probably be quicker.

I serviced the intermediate steering shaft myself, there was no reason to get in the fuse box.

I'll have to check if the brake lights come on. The controller is new. It is a Tekonsha Voyager. I'll check tomorrow on the fusebox if I can figure it out. I don't know about the fusebox, I just thought there might be a wire connection they knocked loose. It's probably beyond my realm of mechanical knowledge! It just gripes me to have to take something back to be re-fixed and all the hassle that goes along with it.

Also, tell me about the intermediate steering shaft.  Mine's already rattling again and did so after about 2 weeks, so whatever they did, didn't fix it. What did you do that worked? Evidently, this is a known issue with that year model truck and the part they replaced it with must still be defective. It's just unreal that you pay that much for a truck and it feels like a rattletrap piece of junk.

Carol

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-10 5:41 AM (#91223 - in reply to #91216)

Expert

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-09-09 11:17 PM

Also, tell me about the intermediate steering shaft.  Mine's already rattling again and did so after about 2 weeks, so whatever they did, didn't fix it. What did you do that worked? Evidently, this is a known issue with that year model truck and the part they replaced it with must still be defective. It's just unreal that you pay that much for a truck and it feels like a rattletrap piece of junk.

Carol 

It has been a known problem for about 10 years.  Mine has been greased/replaced, I have been unable to fix it.  To my knowledge there is no fix that works.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-10 5:23 PM (#91270 - in reply to #91160)

Expert

Carol - I have the Tekonsha Voyager.

When you say you have brake lights, but no brakes to the trailer  does the small led light on the controller start out green and then go to red when you put on the brakes?

If it turns red, have someone put their ear to the trailer wheels. They should hear a humming / buzzing sound.

If not, then you need to take it somewhere to have it fixed.

If the light does not go red, you may need to adjust your settings on the controller. I know there have been 2 times when big lugs have worked on my truck and their legs rub the dials on my controller and get it out of whack.

If you think the controller settings are out of whack, get out your book and start from scratch setting the level and gain. If you don't have your book - go to Tekonsha online. http://www.tekonsha.com/tevoyagerintro.html

Good luck.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-09-10 10:29 PM (#91288 - in reply to #91270)

Expert

I agree there are  a lot of people that do have the answerer, but I think that if you starter  and try to fix the problem then if you take it in they will say you did some thing to make the problem
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-25 5:44 PM (#92111 - in reply to #91160)

Veteran

I ended up taking the truck back to the dealership. They said the controller is bad. One of the guys up at the shop said he had replaced that same controller several time and finally bought another brand. So what is a good controller to replace it with?

Thanks for all the input.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-25 6:40 PM (#92116 - in reply to #91160)

Expert

I very much like the Prodigy.
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-26 10:20 AM (#92142 - in reply to #92111)

Regular

Has the dealership replaced the controller yet? The tekonsha voyager has been a very effective brake controller for a number of years. We have installed many of them with no problems. The Prodigy is also a good unit and is made by Tekonsha. From what I was reading on your posts, it sounds like you are right and have wiring problems between the truck and the controller. Unfortunately, we have found through the years that dealership mechanics are not always proficient in brake controls. I would recommend that if you can find a knowledgeable brake control installer in your area, you have them check your unit. Tekonsha's do not often go bad and that is why I wonder at their replacing several of these. Doesn't seem as though they are getting to the root of the problem. Ther is a repair shop here in Okla City and the man who owns it is one of the best brake control and electrical system mechanics I have ever seen. If you can't get this resolved, you might give him a call @405-919-6237. His name is Shannon Marcy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)