'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Traile West LQ with slide

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-13 10:35 PM
10 replies, 4882 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-09 3:03 PM (#91194)
Subject: Traile West LQ with slide

I everyone. A year ago I purchaes a TW LQ with a slide. The flooring in the trailer is pergo flooring. The issue I am having with the trailer is that the slide is marking the floor with wear marks and if any dirt, sand, ect gets under the slide and into the rollers it damages the floor. The manufacture gave me a one time courtesy floor replacement, and with in one month the floor is being marked again. They consider is a "housekeeping" issue and the service manager asked me if I took the trailer somewhere "dirty". This is a trailer that I use almost daily and for the cost of the trailer this is very upsetting. Im looking for anyone else that may be having this same issue, or has run into difficulty working the the Sundowner Dealer in N. California.

Thanks

Kim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 9:20 PM (#91211 - in reply to #91194)
Subject: RE: Traile West LQ with slide

Expert

I'm a builder and I've gotten to where I won't install a laminate floor. ( pergo or any other brand)  People come back and want me to fix or replace their floors because they paid $500,000 to $700,000 for a home. And they don't even get moved in and the floor has scratches or marks.

Any more I use real wood and avoid the problem.

So my opinion is biased against that type of flooring. And I'd probably side with the manufacture.

It always amazes me when I clean my trailer out after using it, how much grit & dirt I sweep up. The wheels just seem like magnets to collect that stuff and grind it in the floor.

My advice would be to put down some type of runner when ever you operate the slide.   Good Luck

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-10 4:45 PM (#91265 - in reply to #91194)

Veteran

Laminate floors will scratch. Laminate floors are a man made product. I did a great deal of research on laminate floor before we put it in our house. I'm not surprised this is happening.
colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-10 7:49 PM (#91279 - in reply to #91194)

I completely agree... the problem that I am having is that they say I am the ONLY person to have this issue. If this is not a common problem then wouldn't you think that they would be trying to figure out if there was something wrong with the slide? And it's not even so much the floor scratching, it's the marking left on the floor from the slide rolling. The second problem at this point is getting the dealership to get on the manufacture, because their employees' damage the trailer while they were putting in the new floor and I am having to deal with them on that. It has just been a really big headache all around. I have had them ask me if I take the trailer someplace dirty and when they discovered the pass through door was warped asked me if I hauled horses in that slot. Ummm...I thought I bought a horse trailer..

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-09-11 3:31 PM (#91340 - in reply to #91279)

Elite Veteran

You are probably not the only person to have a problem with the laminate floor, but you may be one of very few to complain.   Have to agree with everyone's comments on laminate flooring - doesn't take much to scratch it, and there is no way to fix it once its scratched, unlike wood that can be refinished.  As uncool as it may be, I'm all for vinyl flooring in a LQ trailer. 

On another note, I'm curious what a Trails West LQ trailer w/ a slide weighs.   What size is your trailer and have you pulled it over a scale? 

colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-11 3:49 PM (#91346 - in reply to #91194)

I have a three horse with a 8' shortwall and a 13' long wall. The box is 24 feet, total trailer length is about 30'. Empty it's about 10,000 lbs. It's a long, heavy load on my truck. I have not had it on a scale yet, but it is heavy enough to required a class A non commercial license.

I have asked them if we should just change the floor out, or what other solution could be come up with, but as I said in my previous post I am not on the best terms with the service department due to workmanship issues. My mom installed this new flooring that is a heavy grade vinyl that looks more like hardwood flooring than the pergo, so I think the decision needs to come down to me personally paying to have the floor changed out, and for the price of the trailer I don't think that is an expense I should incure.

clay7
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-12 10:21 AM (#91382 - in reply to #91194)

I would recommend taking your trailer to an RV repair facility.  They will see many more trailers with slides in a given week then most horse trailer dealers will see in a year.  If TW says this is not a common problem and "you're the only one" then my guess would be your slide needs to be adjusted. 
colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-12 2:52 PM (#91395 - in reply to #91194)

That's what I keep saying!!! It can't be this difficult. But Trails West isn't helping these guys out either.
kowgirl
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-09-12 6:23 PM (#91403 - in reply to #91395)

New User

I would go weigh your trailer, I'd be willing to bet it's heavier than 10K empty and you are pulling more than you think.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-13 8:19 PM (#91450 - in reply to #91194)

Expert

Hi, I am a new user here and I was checking out all of the forums and seen this on and went to the seach tap on the top of the forum and typed in TRAILS WEST and pulled up a few items of interest.
colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-13 10:35 PM (#91457 - in reply to #91194)

Thank you to the last poster.I did as you suggested and found a thread that the general manager of Trails West posted. I will be calling him on Monday, as he has suggested to contact him directly to address anyones concerns. I hope to achieve more of a resolution maybe working directly with the company, and not just having the word of the dealership as Trails West word.  I love the trailer, I got alot for the money, I just want my investment to last and look good for a long time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)