'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
OMG I'm losing the trails!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-17 8:25 AM
19 replies, 6047 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 9:06 AM (#90670)
Subject: OMG I'm losing the trails!

Veteran

The IL govenor is closing so many trails.  http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=426480

Jubilee is close to my home, you can ride forever on those trails.  The campground is always packed.  What can I do?  I guess I just have to leave Illinois to a state that doesn't steal away people's recreational getaways.  Moraine View in Leroy is a lovely park.  All the slots in the horse camp have electricity and are level, have picket line posts...it costs $20/night to stay there.  Clearly the money doesn't go back to the park.   Anyone fought to save parks?  What can the average joe do?  Is it pointless to try?  From another article, it sounds like they're still going to pay ONE poor individual to guard the each of the parks that have been closed.  So basically there will be a troll at the gate to make you leave.  What a shame.  What a waste.  I'm practically in tears. There is NOWHERE left to ride that's within an hour of my house.  I guess I'll ride with the semis and cars down the road.  Perhaps I can ride my horse to the dairy queen.  Heaven knows they don't want me on the trails.  I'll have my horse go take a dump on the govenor's porch.  I hope he steps in it.

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 10:08 AM (#90674 - in reply to #90670)
Subject: RE: OMG I'm losing the trails!

Veteran

Sorry to hear that.Unfortunatly it's not unique to your state.

Does your state have a politically active horse council ?. Get everyone you can and make noise. Is this about park funding ? If so see if an equestrian group can volunteer with the maintenance, patrols,etc. Ask to meet with the governor, go armed with state data on how much equestrians contribute to the economy and how much the state can lose if riders go elsewhere, supporting other venues.Even go so far too see if paying a little more at the park would make a difference. I just made reservations at a private facility and it's over $60 a night with 2 horses.Wish we had parks here in MD with overnight horse facilities but it's virtually unheard of.Fight! Rich
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 11:09 AM (#90677 - in reply to #90670)

Expert

http://www.americantrails.org/2008/index.html

See the thread in Camp/Trail about Trail Legislation in Arkansas.The active voices have made a difference.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 12:18 PM (#90682 - in reply to #90670)

Expert

He in Utah, I support Back Country Horseman.  And while I'm not a fan of attending their monthly meetings, I do pay the annual dues and when I do ANY trail maintenance work, I submit my hours to them so they can include them in the hours they present to state or federal land holders to justify horses on the trails.

Advice to you is to make some noise. Just don't roll over and go away. The squeeky wheel gets the attention. The enviromentalist and others who don't want horses on the trails have become very proficient at making sure their point of view is heard.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 6:26 PM (#90702 - in reply to #90670)

Veteran

Were headed to Jubilee tomorrow, guess it will be one of our last campouts there?? 

I can't believe they are closing entire parks?? 

I would think we need to form a group (very large) to work against the closure, but it's tough to fight the Government. 

Keep us posted.

It didn't sound like it in my message, but count me in, I'd help in anyway possible.  We live about 1 hour from Brimfield (Andover IL). 

Edited by appy4me 2008-08-29 6:41 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 7:16 PM (#90704 - in reply to #90670)

Extreme Veteran

get a hold of a local newspaper reporter and tell the story to them.  Contact you local television station as well.  Politicians HATE negative press, and bringing this issue out into the public forum will go a long way.  It is not impossible to fight city hall!  Just make enough noise and keep making noise until you get the results you want.

Marla

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 8:08 PM (#90708 - in reply to #90670)

Veteran

I read this over again, and if you notice it says "shuttered' sites Oct. 1. (that's where Jubilee is listed), does that mean the entire park then?  If you'll look, the first group is like historic sites, and the second one (closing Nov 1) is State Parks.  It's still terrible, but I wonder if our beloved riding land is safe for now??? 

Someone with a better understanding, please enlighten me!

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 8:41 PM (#90710 - in reply to #90670)

Veteran

I contacted Jubilee state park (there was finally someone there)and he said that the trails were not currently being closed, however nobody would be there to maintain them. They are closing the historic site, but there will be nobody to maintain the restrooms, trails, parks, etc at the horse park (unsure of RV park). I'm not sure how that will work. Volunteers I guess... Perhaps the trails are safe for now, but are they really? With disuse and closure comes the risk of vandalism and then liability, and perhaps permanent loss of riding privelages. There's a LOT of trail to maintain. Mowing takes gas, it takes even more gas to get a mower to the park.
I think Moraine view will be closed entirely. There aren't any historic sites there that I know of.
The poor man from the park was practically in tears over the phone. He said it was the worst day he had in his entire time with the IDNR. All those poor folks losing their jobs because our gov. doesn't know how to spend money wisely. Though riding privelages may not be immediately affected at this particular park, there are lots of honest folks losing their jobs for no good reason, and tree huggers are always tring to find reasons to keep horses out of parks. I really think its only a matter of time before nobody is allowed on any of that land.
Amanda
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-29 9:03 PM (#90711 - in reply to #90670)

Veteran

Amanda:  Thanks for calling!!  I feel like you do, relieved for now, but what about those people losing their jobs.  I work for the State too, the cuts are killing us too.  My friend works for Public Health, I haven't heard if she's losing her job or not. 

I realize that they make cuts to save $$, but just speaking about the parks, I'd surely be willing to pay more to use what I love.  I wish they'd have given us that chance first. 

Again, thanks and I feel for those people now becoming un-employed. 

We are going in the morning, I will enjoy every minute of my weekend!! 

You headed that way??  We'll probably be at the 100 mile meadow, since the regular park fills up!  (hey govenor, we use our park!!!)

Edited to add:  Check this link out, maybe something we need closer to here?

http://www.backcountryhorse.com/

Edited by appy4me 2008-08-29 9:24 PM
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-08-30 3:31 PM (#90737 - in reply to #90670)

Extreme Veteran

What exactly are they closing? I can't imagine them closing the entire parks. I'm not sure that would be legal as it is public land. Now the campgrounds and such, perhaps, even that would be stupid. Much as you want to blame the current governor, it's the previous two governors that got him into this position. Especially Ryan who spent like there was no tomorrow. Well guess what? It's tomorrow. I think we'd do better to fire all and I mean all the politicians, that would save us a ton of money to put in better use.
Anyway, trail closures and land being swallowed up for progress is why it is important to belong to organizations like ELCR http://www.elcr.org/index.php
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-08-30 10:41 PM (#90746 - in reply to #90670)

That is so ridiculous. We need to figure out what to do and get as many people behind us to stop this nonsense. If we have to write letters to our state representatives, or whatever we need to do, we should do it (and get all of our friends/relatives, etc to follow suit). I can't believe the IL taxpayers pay for our crooked governor to commute by helicopter from Chicago to Springfield because he doesn't want to live in the Governor's Mansion in Springfield, and then he fires all of those state employees & closes our state parks because the state can't pay for them? Why doesn't he pay for his own commute to Springfield and stop wasting taxpayers' money for his own benefit? I'm so sick over all of this I can't stand it..
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-31 7:44 AM (#90747 - in reply to #90737)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-08-30 3:31 PM

What exactly are they closing? I can't imagine them closing the entire parks. I'm not sure that would be legal as it is public land. Now the campgrounds and such, perhaps, even that would be stupid. Much as you want to blame the current governor, it's the previous two governors that got him into this position. Especially Ryan who spent like there was no tomorrow. Well guess what? It's tomorrow. I think we'd do better to fire all and I mean all the politicians, that would save us a ton of money to put in better use.
Anyway, trail closures and land being swallowed up for progress is why it is important to belong to organizations like ELCR http://www.elcr.org/index.php

Very informative site.....

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-08-31 11:29 PM (#90771 - in reply to #90746)

Extreme Veteran

Hey, we paid for Thompson's sea food diet when he was importing fresh seafood daily, Ryan extorted money from state employees amongst so many other things (which is why he is in jail), so why not?edited to add: That's why we need to fire all of these guys. Just because they can smooze you, doesn't mean they give a .... about you.

Edited by Yvette 2008-08-31 11:33 PM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-09-02 6:52 PM (#90846 - in reply to #90670)

Extreme Veteran

We had some of those issues come up here. One voice can make a difference. Find out who the head person is and how to contact that person...email a well written letter to as many horse clubs and people that you can detailing the issues at hand. Tell them who to contact.....When enough voices get heard, they tend to change a few things. Getting your local club(s) together to do volunteer work would also help your cause. These times stink and we can't afford to lose the places that we have.

The Back Country Horseman helped my husband and me work to get trails opened on water management land that they had already pushed us out of. The newspaper was also a great tool. If you can locate one of these nice folks, they will be happy to help you with your campaign.

Good Luck!!!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-02 6:55 PM (#90847 - in reply to #90670)

Expert

Oh, if you ONLY knew... several groups in Michigan - one of the Michigan Trail Riders Association (MTRA) are fighting, fighting, fighting, to preserve areas for recreational riding and camping. 

mtra.org go to the forums - you'll have to dig through about 2 months of posts to get back to where the groups were chatting.

Write to every rep; get riding groups involved. EVERYTIME you pay for a campsite, pay with a check and write in the memo area, in BIG letters - HORSE CAMPING - or something similar so that they know where the money is coming from.

I can't say enough good about the work the groups have done. I write as many political people and groups as I can. I tell them about how family outings are so beneficial to land use. I tell them that for many people, riding a horse is the only way they can get into the woods and fields due to physical limitations. Horses do NOT scare away natural wildlife and there are multiple studies that show VERY little weed contamination by horse manure.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-09-02 8:36 PM (#90858 - in reply to #90670)

Veteran

Here is a link for anyone in Illinois wanting to write something to the Governor.  Never hurts to try!!

Diane

http://www.illinois.gov:80/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 12:51 PM (#90903 - in reply to #90670)

Regular

Our local park was threatened because one "Ranger" thought the horses were "doing too much damage".  We (The Missouri Back Country Horsemen) were politically active, participated in any and all meetings, adopted the park, volunteered EVERY time we were there to wear vests and report problems on the trails...especially in-duh-viduals who were purposefully going "off trail" and tearing up pristine vegatation.

The Ranger had taken to stringing up high-tensile wire across these "off trail" paths...very dangerous to a horse and rider that might be balking, runaway, or spooking...and we were able to get all that foolishness brought down.

Best method...fight hard for what you rightfully deserve.  The horsemen use the park 20 times more than the hikers and regular campers.  We do cleanup on the trails and around the Equestrian area, make recommendations for improvements, and when there is a lost horse or rider, we mobilize our 70+ members and get the job done.  We've had one horse/rider rescue in the last 2 weeks where our team found them and got them back safely...all the Ranger had to do was babysit his radio in his Air Conditioned SUV.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-09-12 8:22 AM (#91371 - in reply to #90670)

Extreme Veteran

It's a start.

Talk to any and all local saddle clubs.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-blagojevich-closing-our-st...

We had people a long time ago thinking of kicking horses off the DuPage County trails because they did so much more damage then anyone else. Yup, took pictures of all the bike ruts in a section I rode through. Couldn't see any horses hoof prints, but man the damage them bikes did wanting to go mudding. Those pictures helped some really good horse people keep the horses where they belong. On the horse trails that have been there for over a century.edited to make easier reading.

Edited by Yvette 2008-09-12 8:48 AM

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-13 2:48 PM (#91434 - in reply to #90903)

Expert

Originally written by Tuffyspop on 2008-09-03 12:51 PM

Our local park was threatened because one "Ranger" thought the horses were "doing too much damage".  We (The Missouri Back Country Horsemen) were politically active, participated in any and all meetings, adopted the park, volunteered EVERY time we were there to wear vests and report problems on the trails...especially in-duh-viduals who were purposefully going "off trail" and tearing up pristine vegatation.

The Ranger had taken to stringing up high-tensile wire across these "off trail" paths...very dangerous to a horse and rider that might be balking, runaway, or spooking...and we were able to get all that foolishness brought down.

Best method...fight hard for what you rightfully deserve.  The horsemen use the park 20 times more than the hikers and regular campers.  We do cleanup on the trails and around the Equestrian area, make recommendations for improvements, and when there is a lost horse or rider, we mobilize our 70+ members and get the job done.  We've had one horse/rider rescue in the last 2 weeks where our team found them and got them back safely...all the Ranger had to do was babysit his radio in his Air Conditioned SUV.

I've heard only good things about the MO Backcountry Horsemen,they are really a dedicated group that works together.That's why Missouri has some of the best horseback riding around.It is good for us here in my section of Arkansas because it is so much closer than NW AR trails and to the Buffalo to run up for a day ride.

I knew Mr.Bob Burns,and his wife Nancy,met them at Big Creek where they helped me with a saddle fit problem on my mare,else,I would not have been able to ride that trip.ALso referred me to a saddlemaker and I was able to get a saddle for her (like riding a big oil drum.) They were terrific people.

You guys know how to work to get things done,and are a good example of what can be accomplished.Yeah, I heard about "Mr.Ranger" there.Geeze.I guess he thought it would be OK if a rider got their neck broken from his little "fix" on the trails.He should have lost his job over that stunt.

yahoosue
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 8:25 AM (#91633 - in reply to #90670)

New User

Yes, this is a common problem. Here in the southwest and the pacific northwest we have decided to let the government take their parks and put them "you know where". We are working on opening a network of private, membership owned horse camp parks throughout the country. There are two open now, one in Washington and one in Idaho. The website is www.cowboycampsite.com so check it out and you will see that someday....there will be these kinds of camps all over the country...designed by horse people for horse people!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)