'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-10 9:32 AM
14 replies, 6326 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 2:27 PM (#91036)
Subject: Trailers

I am wanting to trade my Titan Renegade 3 horse in for an aluminum 3 horse trailer.  So far I have found the best prices for Featherlite trailers.  The other brands I am looking at are Hart, Sooner, Exiss, Elite Mustang.  I have heard the quality on the Exiss trailers isn't the best but I have never seen one for myself.  Most of these trailers I am looking at are either 2006 models or 2008.  The most expensive one is $19,500 and I am not looking at living quarters right now unless I find one at a good price.  I am just basically wanting to get a nice trailer that does not leak! 

So with that said out of the trailers I listed which ones are the better quality for your money.  I absolutely do not want steel. I want something that will last me for a very long time.

Thanks Jamie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-05 3:02 PM (#91039 - in reply to #91036)
Subject: RE: Trailers

Expert

Conduct searches on each of the brands you've listed, and you'll find quite a bit of information.

On the Exiss comment, there are two different types of trailer construction, one the Sport and the other the Event series. The Event is equal to most others in build quality and durability. The Sport is of a lighter construction, similar in quality to other manufacturer's "lite" versions.

Gard

geminiluna
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-05 3:32 PM (#91041 - in reply to #91036)

New User

Well, you mentioned you want something that doesn't leak?  I suppose anything can leak, but as far as I know the Kiefer is the only one with a warranted leak-proof roof, and that warranty is for 3 yrs.  You didn't mention that trailer in your list, though, but they'd be in your price range for a new non-LQ 3H model. 

Otherwise, I've heard that Elite is a pretty well made trailer. 

newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 3:41 PM (#91042 - in reply to #91041)

Originally written by geminiluna on 2008-09-05 3:32 PM

Well, you mentioned you want something that doesn't leak?  I suppose anything can leak, but as far as I know the Kiefer is the only one with a warranted leak-proof roof, and that warranty is for 3 yrs.  You didn't mention that trailer in your list, though, but they'd be in your price range for a new non-LQ 3H model. 

Otherwise, I've heard that Elite is a pretty well made trailer. 

I should of said I mean't something that is not rusty that won't soak you when you are staying in the trailer.  I would have to have mine all redone so I just want to get a new or nice used trailer instead.  Well this dealer I am looking at didn't have Kiefer trailers but I will definitely see if I can find one. 

Thanks

newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 3:42 PM (#91043 - in reply to #91039)

Originally written by gard on 2008-09-05 3:02 PM

Conduct searches on each of the brands you've listed, and you'll find quite a bit of information.

On the Exiss comment, there are two different types of trailer construction, one the Sport and the other the Event series. The Event is equal to most others in build quality and durability. The Sport is of a lighter construction, similar in quality to other manufacturer's "lite" versions.

Oh okay, that is nice to know.  It seems like the sport should be better made..that is strange..I think this dealer has both though.

Thanks

Gard

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-09-05 5:34 PM (#91046 - in reply to #91036)

Expert

The Exiss Sport models are well made but they are a less expensive alternative for those who want a good trailer that is still affordable. I have seen the Sport models, they aren't that bad. I own a Event Exiss and its been a very good unit- solid,well made and suits my needs perfectly.I wouldn't be so concerned about brand as much as- does the trailer suit your needs and is it within your budget?
newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 6:07 PM (#91048 - in reply to #91046)

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-09-05 5:34 PM

The Exiss Sport models are well made but they are a less expensive alternative for those who want a good trailer that is still affordable. I have seen the Sport models, they aren't that bad. I own a Event Exiss and its been a very good unit- solid,well made and suits my needs perfectly.I wouldn't be so concerned about brand as much as- does the trailer suit your needs and is it within your budget?

Yeah I am really looking at the affordable ones within my budget but why I asked is to see which trailers are good quality for their price.  I don't really care which brand I get just as long it is affordable and of good quality.  I really like the Exiss trailers though but there was a post made that a girl had one fall apart on her and the customer service was bad so that is why I was a little skeptical.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 7:57 PM (#91051 - in reply to #91048)

Expert

Originally written by newracer on 2008-09-05 6:07 PM

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-09-05 5:34 PM

Yeah I am really looking at the affordable ones within my budget but why I asked is to see which trailers are good quality for their price.  I don't really care which brand I get just as long it is affordable and of good quality.  I really like the Exiss trailers though but there was a post made that a girl had one fall apart on her and the customer service was bad so that is why I was a little skeptical.

I try to believe about 90% of what I see, and about 25% of what I read on the internet. My confindence really drops when the story starts like "I have a friend/nieghbor/cousin/ex-brother in law/mistress ect..... that had a problem with ___________ brand trailer.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-09-06 9:38 AM (#91066 - in reply to #91036)

Elite Veteran

Featherlite now has an 8 year warranty. I think most manufacturers have extended their warranties with the advent on computers and robots doing some of the welding. Check with multiple dealers as I found out last week there are still som 07' holdovers sitting in manufacturers as well as dealer lots. I looked at one 07' that was MSRP'd @ $65,000 now priced @ $43,000. It was at the SD State Fair and it was sold while I was waiting to talk to the dealer. Now he's looking for another one for me. If a dealer wants to make a sale, they will look around for those deals for you. If not, find another dealer! Good luck!
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-06 1:32 PM (#91079 - in reply to #91036)

Extreme Veteran

We have a large 4H Exiss Event LQ and even though we have had a few issues, I have to say that Universal Trailer did an excellent job providing customer service and fixing our issues.  Our LQ was done by Sierra and we have also had very good communications with them in fixing a duct work problem in the LQ.  I think Exiss makes a quality aluminum trailer, but I don't know much about the Sport model; we do see a good many of them in horse camps and don't hear of many problems.  One tip of advice - if you buy an LQ make sure it was finished by a reputable company like Sierra, Duster, Outlaw etc.  Most people that we meet seem to have LQ issues; not horse area issues.  You want to deal with a company that has a good reputation and can fix any problems you have.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-06 1:44 PM (#91080 - in reply to #91036)

Expert

We have trailers right now from more than one manuf., and have had others through the years.  I buy for the individual trailer and how it fits my needs/usage/budget.  Incidentally, our 7 year old Exiss Event has held up very well, had no leaks, one flaw on the step to the LQ, which they stood behind with no problem.  We use ours for trail riding, camping, deer hunting with the 4 wheeler in the horse compartment, and hauling over the Contiental Divide with 3 mules to elk hunt, so we have challenged it some..!
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-09-06 5:00 PM (#91083 - in reply to #91036)

Veteran

I always look at the drop down windows specifically. They are usually a tell tale sign of the quality of trailer that I want to consider. If you can  take the window in your hands and wiggle it back and forth, that is not a good sign to me. I want heavy duty, but that is just me personally!!!
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-08 2:22 PM (#91146 - in reply to #91036)

Expert

If your Renegade is leaking, you need to have all the seams on the roof redone. The old caulk needs to come out and new put in.

And, is it insulated inside? If not, then you'll have condensation and that makes it rust.

Titan uses galvanealed PANELS - but I don't know what else is galvanealed (I don't know if the frame is galvanealed or not) so you shouldn't have that much rust going on.

Even alum roofs will leak if the caulking in the seams works loose... and if you do any driving on dirt or bumpy roads, the caulk is going to work loose.

I got my Titan Avalance to stop leaking ... after 2 tries. :

I would love to have a total fiberglass roof. sigh.

newracer
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-08 3:07 PM (#91148 - in reply to #91146)

Originally written by gabz on 2008-09-08 2:22 PM

If your Renegade is leaking, you need to have all the seams on the roof redone. The old caulk needs to come out and new put in.

And, is it insulated inside? If not, then you'll have condensation and that makes it rust.

Titan uses galvanealed PANELS - but I don't know what else is galvanealed (I don't know if the frame is galvanealed or not) so you shouldn't have that much rust going on.

Even alum roofs will leak if the caulking in the seams works loose... and if you do any driving on dirt or bumpy roads, the caulk is going to work loose.

I got my Titan Avalance to stop leaking ... after 2 tries. :

I would love to have a total fiberglass roof. sigh.

Yes thanks, this basically was a starter trailer for me and I didn't pay very much for it and there is a shop close by that will redo this trailer for me but I am not really interested because it isn't big enough and I have decided that I would rather just trade it and spend the extra money for an aluminum trailer. 

As much as I haul I don't have time to wait for it to be redone and plus the rust on it is really bad on the seams and I just think it isn't worth my time and money to have it redone. 

alexis
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-10 9:32 AM (#91236 - in reply to #91036)

check out alexis horse trailers you will be shocked at the price and the quality and all the amenities you get
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)