'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trails West

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-22 4:54 AM
16 replies, 12622 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

wwrgirl
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-08 4:01 PM (#89307)
Subject: Trails West

I am thinking about buying a trailer with living quarters in it.  I am leaning towards a Trails West.  I would like some feedback from people on their thoughts on these trailers.  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-08 5:02 PM (#89320 - in reply to #89307)
Subject: RE: Trails West

Expert

A while back were some pics posted of a Trails West wth a LQ. The LQ area flooring was OSB and the frame looked like it belonged to a garden cart. Do a search and see what other people have posted.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-09 12:41 PM (#89384 - in reply to #89320)

Expert

I recently was talking with my Vet.  He sees all kinds of trailers, every day as horse owners pull into his vet clinic. He told me his next trailer was going to be a Steel Trails West. I don't think he cares about a LQ, he goes to ropings which are mostly held at fairgrounds. His logic was that they are just a solid strong trailer that last.

I believe the post refered to by Gard above had a reply from the president (or some officer of the corp) that they had tested many materials and found that the OSB held up just as well if not better than the other materials available. I recently went and inspected a home that was left unfinished for three years. A bank forclosurer. It's waffer board had faced the elements for three straight years. Yes there were a few pieces that needed to be replaced, primarily on the roof where the snow sat on it all winter and stayed wet. But most of the walls (vertical surface where the water ranoff) were still solid.  It would be interesting to hear just how many owners of those trailers needed to replace that material and at what intervals.

I live in Utah and Trails West are made in Preston Idaho, Not far away. So I see lots of those trailers around. People complain that they are heavy, but I've never heard anyone complain that they didn't hold up.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-09 1:07 PM (#89386 - in reply to #89307)

Expert

The area in which you live will have a great affect on the longevity of your trailer. The high plains desert states and the storms and winters of the North East have conditions that vary greatly.

I would never own a LQ that didn't have a full aluminum floor. I have seen unprotected OSB delaminate and expand in one winter storm. I am not willing to spend $60K on any trailer, built with the least expensive flooring material that's available. There are many good trailers constructed with solid floors, better frames and materials in the same price range.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-08-09 1:28 PM
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-08-09 2:45 PM (#89391 - in reply to #89307)

Regular

I've owned a 3 horse Trails West for 6 years and I love the trailer. Upon inspection, the floor seems just as sound as the day I bought it. It does not have full living quarters in it and we're looking to trade up for a living quarters trailer. We will purchase a Trails West because it has so many great features that we can't find in other trailers. When I first bought it, I was concerned because it was steel. The dealer had me pull an Exiss and a Sundowner, along with the Trails West. In the gravel parking lot, the Trails West pulled heavier. But once on the highway, the Trails West pulled easier than either of the other trailers. One drawback to Trails West is that they don't offer an 8 foot wide model. The side tack is very handy ... I highly recommend that option. The finish is excellent ... much like an automobile finish. Very easy to maintain. And the TW living quarters we've looked at are high quality ... not as many bells and whistles as some of the ultra-expensive trailers, but much nicer than some that are even more expensive. Everyone has their preferences, but I have not personally talked to a Trails West owner who has been dissatisfied with their trailer, and I consider the opinion of an owner more valuable than that of a dealer or a non-owner. Having said that, I'm sure somebody out there has had a bad experience with a Trails West, just as any other brand. But for a mid-priced trailer, I don't think you can go wrong with Trails West.
Aspen
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-09 3:39 PM (#89393 - in reply to #89307)

Regular

I bought my First TrailsWest, 3 Horse GooseNeck SantaFe in 2001, I like the way it pulled and the solid sound of it so much, I Upgraded to a 3 horse 2004 Sierra. I did ordrerd it with a unfinished shell so I could installed my own weekender package. There's a lot of features that I like on the TrailsWest, My only regrets is that I should have orded it with the side tack, Maybe next time. Ah Yes The finish!! looks just like when I first bought it. And for my floor, soild as a rock no complaints there. Now If I ever decide to buy another Trailer It will be another TrailsWest for sure, but this ones looks Just Like new no problems and it fits my style,  and most of all IT'S PAID FOR!!!!  each as there own opinion, and that's Ok.  Good luck in what ever you decide to buy.

Edited by Aspen 2008-08-09 3:44 PM
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-11 2:22 PM (#89493 - in reply to #89386)

Regular

What is the "OSB" you are talking about and where would I look for it?

c.will

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-11 5:03 PM (#89506 - in reply to #89307)

Expert

OSB is orientated strand board. It is comprised of wood chips glued together. On the Trails West is the flooring material in the LQ. It is not designed for constant exposure to weather, as the material will expand and delaminate when it is wetted.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-08-11 5:06 PM
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-11 11:41 PM (#89536 - in reply to #89506)

Regular

It looks like I better check mine first thing in the morning and see what it has.  Mine is not very old and we have not had much rain.

What is the avg. like that you could expect out of a floor like that?

c.will

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-12 7:14 AM (#89540 - in reply to #89536)

Here is a link to another thread; http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9442
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-12 10:25 AM (#89552 - in reply to #89540)

Regular

That is the thread that I seen, but when I looked at it there was way more information about the OSB and now there is only 2 or 3 post.
I found info on the net last night about OSB and contacted the manurfcture of that product to get more details. But from what I seen form their website, this stuff is not water proof unless it is sealed with something. Will update when I get a word back from that company.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-12 10:25 PM (#89609 - in reply to #89307)

Expert

Here is a lik to the technical guide that details OSB and Wafer board. They have said they are using OSB ( not wafer) which is stronger.

The guide also details how that the wood chips are  

"After slicing they are dried, blended with wax and waterproof exterior type binders"

As a builder I use both products. We have houses get absolutely soaked in the winter, Where it takes 3-4 weeks to get them framed and they have snow 2 feet deep that gets packed into ice from workers walking over it. It holds up much better than any of the old plywood products we used to use.

http://www.osbguide.com/pdfs/TB103.pdf

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-12 10:52 PM (#89614 - in reply to #89609)

Regular

That is what I have heard.  I did recieve the information back from the manurfacture of the OSB and was told that this product is great in construction work in case there is bad weather and/or  delays in the building process.  And also let me know it is not intended for extended exposure to the elements (water or humid weather) and that would decrease the life of the product.  (ie: good upto a few months before it needs to be covered)

Thanks c.will

NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-21 9:13 PM (#90149 - in reply to #89307)

I know this post is a bit late, but wanted to add my thoughts on the Trails West  trailer.  For the past 5 years we had a Circle J Cruiser 3 H slant, ans was happy with it, but finally decided we needed a larger trailer due to having taller horses.  We came across a Trails West 3H slant gooseneck that had the warm blood package (7 1/2 feet tall), jailbar dividers, roof vents, drop down windows, butt windows, side tack (which is realy nice!), electric jack, etc, etc.  When you close the side tack or dressing room door, it sounds like a quality car door closing.  The construction is excellent, paint is excellent and the wartranty is very good.  Although it is hea vier than aliminum, it tows like a dream and comes with large 10 ply tires standard.  We looked at Sundowner, Exiss, Featherlite and even on the used market the Trails West was a better buy.  I know Sundowner gets all the praise, but I don't see what drives all the extra cost.  Mine is not a LQ model, but the Classic and it has everyhing I need for a weekend or more as we spend the bulk of our time outdoors, anyway.  This will be the first winter for the rig so we'll see how it does as I live just below the Oregon border and we get the full 4 seasons here.  Based on what I have seen so far, I do not anticipate any issues.  I give the nod to Trails West for great value for the dollar.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-21 9:51 PM (#90155 - in reply to #89307)

Elite Veteran

We have a 2006 Trails West Adventure MXll. The paint and smooth construction of the side walls and dividers is top notch. The dividers are extremly easy to use and lie flat against the wall with a great latching system when you want to haul others items.

I think Trails West needs to improve the rubber lined walls though. It is too soft and tears easily if a horse braces against the bulk head wall. I have been trying to get a return call from TW to get a replacement piece of rubber as a small piece has torn near the back corner and floor. I will try again tomorrow. Need to fix it as we are getting ready to sell it and buy a three horse instead.

Other than the lined walls, I am pleased with the quality of the trailer as far as steel trailers go.

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 12:14 AM (#90165 - in reply to #90149)

Regular

Non living quarter or small living quarter trailers are OK trailers.  The problems that are showing on the larger LQ trailers is underrated equipment!  Ours is a 4 horse 8x13AMT with a 6' slideout with a dry weight of 12,740lbs with 2 7-k lbs axles, some friends that we team sort with has the same type trailer in a 3 horse with no slideout and their trailers dry weight is 11,000lbs with 2 6-k lbs axles and "D" range tires.  And both trailers are leaking water in the mangers above the doors along them seams and along the seams on the rump side under the drop down windows, so water is also running down inside the walls on both sides of the trailer.
walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 4:54 AM (#90166 - in reply to #89307)

I would take into consideration where you live.    Harsh winters take their toll on  a steel trailer. My friend bought a new  Steel Trails West , He just got it paid off last year , took him about 4 yrs and it   already has a significant amount of surface rust .  He LOVES the trailer just not happy  about the surface rust already .   We live in the NE Region. 

Altho My first Trailer was a 20 yr old Steel Monarch that  was still  strong as an Ox and I got another 5 yrs out of it .

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)