'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Finishing the straight wall,...have questions DIY

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-23 1:19 PM
10 replies, 4648 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-22 5:49 PM (#90214)
Subject: Finishing the straight wall,...have questions DIY

Veteran

What is the best way to finish the straight wall (where you climb up to go into the bed area)? I want to use pine bead board or the pine tongue and groove slats for the finish (not sure which yet).

So do I attach furring strips with the foam board insulation between them, and then put the beadboard (or slats) over that?

OR do I use furring strips and foam board, then thin plywood, then beadboard (or slats)?

OR do I use thin plywood and no furring strips, then beadboard (or slats)

I'm stumped.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 7:32 PM (#90217 - in reply to #90214)
Subject: RE: Finishing the straight wall,...have questions DIY

Expert

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-22 6:49 PM

What is the best way to finish the straight wall (where you climb up to go into the bed area)? I want to use pine bead board or the pine tongue and groove slats for the finish (not sure which yet). So do I attach furring strips with the foam board insulation between them, and then put the beadboard (or slats) over that? 

With this type of installation, you will also create a space in which you can run wiring or plumbing if you need to. The furring strips provide a secure fastening point, to which many materials can be affixed. The foam insulation will moderate the inside LQ temperatures, and you should be very pleased with the results.

Gard

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-22 9:07 PM (#90221 - in reply to #90214)

Expert

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-22 5:49 PM
I want to use pine bead board or the pine tongue and groove slats for the finish (not sure which yet).

So do I attach furring strips with the foam board insulation between them, and then put the beadboard (or slats) over that?  

This one will not work with the slats, as you won't have anything to attach them to.

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-22 5:49 PM

What is the best way to finish the straight wall (where you climb up to go into the bed area)? I want to use pine bead board or the pine tongue and groove slats for the finish (not sure which yet). 

OR do I use furring strips and foam board, then thin plywood, then beadboard (or slats)?

OR do I use thin plywood and no furring strips, then beadboard (or slats) I'm stumped.

Either one of these ideas will work as you will have a solid backing to attach the beadboard slats too.

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-23 8:51 AM (#90232 - in reply to #90214)

Charter Member

I attach furring strips with the foam board insulation between them, and then put the beadboard (or slats) over that? 

That is the route I chose and we also used the space to run wiring across from one side to the other.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-23 9:01 AM (#90235 - in reply to #90214)

Expert

I guess I don't understand how you are attaching the slats(4 inches wide) to the foamboard.

Edited by HWBar 2008-08-23 9:02 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-23 10:27 AM (#90238 - in reply to #90214)

Expert

The slats or any other surface material you choose, is attached to the furring strips by staples, nails, screws, construction adhesive, etc......
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-23 10:37 AM (#90239 - in reply to #90235)

Veteran

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-08-23 9:01 AM

I guess I don't understand how you are attaching the slats(4 inches wide) to the foamboard.

Let me see if I can explain my ideas better,....

I will have 3 - 1X4s that run horizontally on the wall. One at the top of the staight wall, one where the kitchen cabinet top will be attached (about 35 inches from the floor) another at the floor. I will fit and tape foamboard between the boards. Then, attach the slats vertically at each 1 X 4s. That will be 3 places to attach the slats to each horizontal 1X4. Does that make sense, and will it work? (sorry I'm not the best at explaining this stuff)
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-23 11:18 AM (#90241 - in reply to #90214)

Charter Member

I don't know if the wording I chose to copy was correct.

I placed the foam type insulation board in between the existing wall braces. I attached my furring strips to those braces and then I attached my wall boards (?slats?) to the furring strips.

Let me see if any of my pictures show it more clearly...

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-23 11:22 AM (#90242 - in reply to #90239)

Charter Member

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-23 10:37 AM

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-08-23 9:01 AM I guess I don't understand how you are attaching the slats(4 inches wide) to the foamboard.
Let me see if I can explain my ideas better,.... I will have 3 - 1X4s that run horizontally on the wall. One at the top of the staight wall, one where the kitchen cabinet top will be attached (about 35 inches from the floor) another at the floor. I will fit and tape foamboard between the boards. Then, attach the slats vertically at each 1 X 4s. That will be 3 places to attach the slats to each horizontal 1X4. Does that make sense, and will it work? (sorry I'm not the best at explaining this stuff)

It does make sense and it should work, but I used more strips horizontally. I spaced them like 12 or 15" apart and just used as many as necessary...not just where I "thought" something would attach. That way, when I attached my wall paneling, it was really secured and bowing/sagging/any other negative issue was less likely to be a problem later on.

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-23 11:23 AM (#90243 - in reply to #90217)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-08-22 7:32 PM

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-22 6:49 PM

What is the best way to finish the straight wall (where you climb up to go into the bed area)? I want to use pine bead board or the pine tongue and groove slats for the finish (not sure which yet). So do I attach furring strips with the foam board insulation between them, and then put the beadboard (or slats) over that? 

With this type of installation, you will also create a space in which you can run wiring or plumbing if you need to. The furring strips provide a secure fastening point, to which many materials can be affixed. The foam insulation will moderate the inside LQ temperatures, and you should be very pleased with the results.

Gard

I was wondering about the space for the wiring. Thanks for the clarification on that. I'm doing this in spurts while using the trailer. So some things are out of order, just trying to allow for the future additions. Does the electrical wiring run through anything for protection or just run it behind the walls?  I have no intention of doing any electrical stuff myself. But just trying to educate myself so I don't have to re-do anything.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-23 1:19 PM (#90248 - in reply to #90214)

Expert

If you cut notches into the back of the furring strips before they are installed, it will leave a gap between the original wall and the strips, in which you can run your wiring or plumbing. This also places the wiring behind the foam.

If you plan on using any plumbing in freezing temperatures, make sure to place your PEX plumbing between the insulation and the interior wall covering. If the plumbing were placed directly against an outside wall and covered with insulation, it could freeze, even if you had interior heating.

It is important that when you install your interior wall covering , whatever hardware you use doesn't penetrate the furring strip and contact the wiring. This could result in an electrical short. For the best protection, a piece of sheet metal can be installed on the face of the furring strip opposite the notch, covering the wiring chase. This will protect the wiring from damage. If the wall covering is attached with construction adhesive, this is not a problem.

It was mentioned that additional strips should be added to prevent the new interior wall covering from flexing. This can be tested by laying some furring strips on the floor, lay the new covering over them and press down between the strips. If it is too flexible, try moving the strips closer together, until you get the right spacing. Use that measurement when you mount the strips on the wall. It's better to have them too close together, than too far apart.

When you finish the furring strips and the plumbing and wiring are installed, it's an ideal time to take some photos. Stand a ruler in the picture for a reference, and shoot all of the structures as they are constructed. File these away, and later you will know exactly where each strip is located, if you want to install something extra or do some trouble shooting. It's very easy to forget exact locations after the job is finished

BOL   gard

Edited by gard 2008-08-23 2:14 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World