'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
brake trouble?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-18 11:35 AM
21 replies, 5636 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 12:22 PM (#89653)
Subject: brake trouble?

Extreme Veteran

I just got a new 3H with LQ. Hauled it about 300 miles home and did not notice any problems with brakes. Did not have a 7 pin plug in bed of truck but used the one on the bumper. Had a 7 pin plug installed in bed of truck. Hauled trailer to RV place to have recall work done on the Dometic fridge (turns out it had already been done). When the tech fellow was pulling the truck and trailer around the building...the brakes made a horrible sound. He said he thought it was because they were wet. (yes we actually had a little rain here overnight and this morning wooohooo) I pulled the trailer around 15 miles or so home and hosed it off because it had picked up road grime. While I was hosing off the front right wheel it became evident that it was HOT. Steam was pouring out from the water of the hose hitting the wheel. The tire itself did not seem so hot but there was definately heat from inside the wheel. I have placed a call to my cousin who manages a trailer servicing place to get his opinion on what might be the problem. Just thought I would throw it out there for ya'll too. Only the one wheel seems to be a problem. I have not called the trailer dealer yet...thought I would see what my cousin says. Could it be related to having a new 7 pin plug? All lights and signals were working and the brake box seem to be working as well. Thanks for reading my post.

Edited by lesliemal 2008-08-13 2:32 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 12:50 PM (#89657 - in reply to #89653)
Subject: RE: brake trouble?

Extreme Veteran

Well...my cousin called me back and said to bring it in for them to pull the hub and see what is going on with the brakes/wheel. Have an appt to take it in tomorrow. Will let ya know what they find. Man..I just want to enjoy my new trailer and so far it has not been fun. I guess you can have problems/glitches with any new item. Hopefully it will not be anything major. If so...then the dealer will be getting a call.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 3:04 PM (#89663 - in reply to #89653)

Expert

Leslie ...

Was only one wheel hot? if so ...

There sounds to be a definite problem with the brakes or bearings of the wheel.  Depending on the distance to your cousin's shop, consider pulling the tire off and getting to him with 3 wheels.  Empty, the trailer will be fine on 3 wheels.  Make sure the selling dealer is made aware of the problem before anybody touches the internals of the hub. Since you're 300 miles away, I'm sure they'll be reasonable about an inspection.   Don't want the warranty to be voided.

If all the wheels were hot, disconnect the trailer plug and take to the shop.  It won't have any brakes so drive carefully.

Edited by hosspuller 2008-08-13 3:07 PM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 3:18 PM (#89664 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

It was just the one wheel. The right front. I was going to just wait until I found out what the problem is before I called the dealer but I guess I will call him today. Thanks.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 5:53 PM (#89669 - in reply to #89664)

Expert

Do you have a brake controller installed in the cab of the truck. - WHOOPS, you said brake box was working okay. Make sure your settings are correct. If the controller is under the steering wheel and the tech rubbed or bumped it with his leg, it might have gone off setting.

When you picked up the trailer, and you used the 7-pin plug on the "bumper" did that give you brakes on the trailer?

When you had the 7-pin plug installed in the bed of the truck, was it at the same time you had the fridge checked? Or were they separate?

Many RV places don't "know" about 7 pin installations .. it may have changed, but I think most RVs only use 6-pin plugs. So perhaps the wiring was done incorrectly.

Another thing to check is your emergency brake battery and cable.

I agree with Hosspuller about disconnecting before hauling again. Last thing you need is to burn up the trailer while it's under warranty and someone else did the work or ruin your brakes.

Edited by gabz 2008-08-13 5:57 PM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 8:01 PM (#89672 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

I am pretty sure I had brakes coming the 300 miles home as I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in downtown Atlanta.
The 7 pin plug was put in the bed of the truck by the same trailer place that I am taking it to tomorrow. It is a reputable hitch/trailer service center. I believe they would have tested the plug before I left with my truck but they can check it again tomorrow while both the truck and trailer are on site.
I only had the fridge looked at at the RV place.
I did call the dealer today and he said he would report my problems to the MFG.
I sure hope it is something simple. I do not want to deal with who will warranty what. I am not real comfortable with pulling this trailer (8814 lbs is listed as the shipping weight) without the brakes connected but it sounds like that is what I should do. At least I know my truck is sufficient. (F350 dually) It is about a 45 min trip. Wish me luck.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-14 3:29 PM (#89722 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

Turns out the brakes on the trailer were not adjusted properly when they were put on the trailer.  Only the one wheel actually had brakes engaged.  On top of that there was not a sufficient amount of grease in any of the wheels.  The one wheel that had working brakes "burned" up.  The backing plate, hub/drum and the bearings/seal have to be replaced.  Luckily the axel company is near by and had the parts in stock.  The trailer place will have the parts to complete the repair tomorrow.  Now it will just be a matter of who is going to pay for it.  I sure hope the trailer mfg and the axel mfg come through on this one.  Will just have to wait and see.  I am waiting on a call from the trailer mfg represenative right now. 
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-08-15 11:48 AM (#89763 - in reply to #89653)

Veteran

I'm glad you found the problem!  Here's hoping someone steps up to the plate financially.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-15 11:57 AM (#89764 - in reply to #89722)

Expert

That's a shame that something fairly simple was overlooked when you picked up your trailer.

Hopefully, others can learn from this and double check new or new to them trailers.

Dealerships may want to do some initial service checks as well to avoid repairs rather than pre-service work.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-15 12:35 PM (#89767 - in reply to #89653)

Expert

Makes you wonder who and where the axles were assembled. The trailer Mfg. recieves these axles assembled from the axle Mfg.... Bearings packed, drums installed, brake shoes pre adjusted, etc. Does the trailer Mfg. suppose to pull these hubs check the grease, replace the seal they tear up and readjust these brakes when the trailer is built?... Maybe!  Does the dealer suppose to check the brakes before the trailer is delivered?... Maybe!  Do you need to test your brakes on your new trailer before you hit the road? YES!! In the end it's your trailer and it's your butt that will pushed through the red light or into the rear of another vehicle. There's no excuse for the dry bearings (someone on here posted something about a new trailer with dry bearings a while back) but you need to check the brakes before you leave the yard. If you had done so, the dealer could have adjusted them before you headed home.... That being, if they had someone that knew what and how to adjust them.

Hope you get it all cleared up, just be glad you wern't already loaded heading across country when you found this out!!

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-15 1:22 PM (#89768 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

First of all let me say that the brakes have been repaired and the trailer mfg has assured me that the bill will be handled. Now as for me checking the brakes when I left the trailer dealer, the trailer was stopping...no noticable problems with the adjustment. I was in stop and go traffic for approximately 45 min to an hour and had no problem with the trailer stopping. In fact, for 300 miles I had no indication there was a problem. Just how is that I was susposed to know that only the one brake was doing the job of four? I know that sounds defensive but the last post insinuated that I should have known there was a brake adjustment problem. The folks that fixed my brakes flat out told me that there was no way I could have known. Maybe you can tell me how I am susposed to tell if all of the brakes are adjusted properly. I would love to have this valuable information for future reference. I am very thankful that no animals or people were hurt as a result of this problem. I am also thankful that the trailer mfg has stepped up to the plate to handle the bill. Whether or not it will ultimately be the axel mfg or the trailer mfg that pays the bill, the trailer mfg rep has assured me he will handle it. Thank goodness for a company that stands behind their product. I am also very thankful that I had a trailer service place that was relatively close to my home to help me with the repairs.

Edited by lesliemal 2008-08-15 1:25 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-15 1:37 PM (#89772 - in reply to #89768)

Expert

Originally written by lesliemal on 2008-08-15 1:22 PM Just how is that I was susposed to know that only the one brake was doing the job of four? I know that sounds defensive but the last post insinuaited that I should have known there was a brake adjustment problem. The folks that fixed my brakes flat out told me that there was no way I could have known. Maybe you can tell me how I am susposed to tell if all of the brakes are adjusted properly. I would love to have this valuable information for future reference.

Glad you got it fixed. This will sound rude, but how in the world could you NOT know only one brake is working? I had a wire break on one axle, leaving me with two out of the four working.............there was NO doubt I had a brake problem.

In your defense, Ive had a few new trailers over the years. I dont expect much from a brand new set of brakes until they have been adjusted, run a few hundred miles then adjusted again. As for knowing how to tell, other than by feel, or with a spotter/gravel drag test, some brake controllers; P3, Brakesmart, MaxBrake, and Jordan (although not currently in production) will display amps.  What kind of controller do you have now?

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-08-15 1:42 PM (#89773 - in reply to #89653)

Elite Veteran

lesliemal- As for knowing if your brakes are adjusted properly, I don't leave my yard or even load a horse for that matter, until I know that all four brakes are working. It's a relitvely simple check. Role forward at approx. 10-15 mph and use your manual brake to apply the brakes while watching the wheels in the mirrors. If you can't see them then you may need someone else to help you. The dealer should have done this with you without your asking. It is their responsibility to make sure you at least can leave their lot safely. I'm happy to hear the mfg. is willing to step up to plate and rectify your problem.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-15 1:58 PM (#89775 - in reply to #89653)

Expert

(QUOTE) I know that sounds defensive but the last post insinuated that I should have known there was a brake adjustment problem.

chadsalt and genebob said what I probaby should have said. I ASSUMED, that maybe you knew how to check to see if all your wheels were braking.... Sorry I just figured that everyone knows how to checkum! I'll drag mine a few feet before I leave the yard.

Edited by retento 2008-08-15 2:00 PM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-15 1:59 PM (#89776 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

I did NOT know all of the brakes were not working because I had NO problem with the trailer stopping. There was NO indication that only one brake was doing the job. I hooked up got in the truck moved the trailer and tried the brakes. It stopped...I tried the manual lever...trailer stopped. Maybe I was ignorant for assuimg that if the trailer brakes appeared to stop the trailer that ALL of the brakes were working. Maybe it was the dealer's responsibility to be sure all FOUR were working. Anyhow bashing my trailer brake assessment abilities is not necessary unless it provides useful information for others. I think I have been through enough this week. Thanks a heap.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-15 2:04 PM (#89777 - in reply to #89653)

Expert

Get in the habit of using the manual lever on the grass or dirt. At least you'll know which wheels are trying to stop you. Good luck and enjoy your new trailer, nothing like them smell of a NEW TRAILER!!
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-15 2:19 PM (#89778 - in reply to #89653)

Extreme Veteran

Live and Learn.  At least now I know how to check to be sure all FOUR brakes are working and not simply rely on the fact that the trailer stopped using the manual override and the regular applying of the truck brakes. Thanks for all the replies.  Can't wait to actually haul a horse in my new trailer.  Ride ON!
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-15 3:52 PM (#89781 - in reply to #89778)

Expert

If I remember correctly, my trailer owner's book said I was to have brakes adjusted after first 100 hours of operation... but in Lesliemal's case it seems that her brakes went out of adjustment much sooner than what MY book recommends.

So obviously, she did check the operation when she picked up her new trailer - but due to several factors, the brakes went out.

This has been a VERY informative thread and I am so glad that, although she had a rotten week with all of this, no one was injured and there was no "battle" so far as having the problem fixed.

HOORRAYY!! 

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-08-15 11:31 PM (#89802 - in reply to #89653)

Veteran

In lesliemal's defense the brakes could have very well been working just fine when she left the dealer and after getting hot for the first time they were in need of adjustment. Lesliemal- you have a pm
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-16 4:05 PM (#89828 - in reply to #89802)

Extreme Veteran

Dixie...sent PM reply.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-08-18 11:03 AM (#89899 - in reply to #89653)

Elite Veteran

lesliemal- I was not trying to bash you. I guess in a round about way I was blaming the dealer for not assisting you nor informing you how to check your brakes. If I helped one person to check their brakes I have achieved my goal. Like I said, I'm glad this has turned out the right way. Enjoy your trailering. As far as the digital displays showing the amps going to the brakes, yes, they show the amps, but not to how many wheels. All those amps could be going to one brake!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-18 11:35 AM (#89903 - in reply to #89899)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2008-08-18 11:03 AM

As far as the digital displays showing the amps going to the brakes, yes, they show the amps, but not to how many wheels. All those amps could be going to one brake!

True. But if it reads 12 amps yesterday and 9 amps today, there is probably something that needs looked at. Having three brakes take a dump and then the last one pulling 12 amps, or any other combination, is a little unlikely.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)