'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thanks all! I just bought a truck...now what?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-08 10:18 PM
15 replies, 5248 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-31 10:24 PM (#88717)
Subject: Thanks all! I just bought a truck...now what?

Regular

Thank you to all who have given me good advice on what truck/trailer to buy. (These will be my first). I just bought a 2003 Ram 2500 Hemi--factory installed towing package. It's in great shape and has lots of toys and amenities I could never have afforded if I had bought new. I feel confident this will safely pull whatever 2H bumper pull I find. So now I need to find the trailer....

Is a trailer dealer the best place to get it set up with the brake controller and make sure the wiring and everything is okay? A couple of you gave suggestions on particular brake controllers--I'd appreciate any other hints/advantages/disadvantages on these. The paperwork lists the hitch as Class IV, but I couldn't find a sticker on the hitch that says the loads. Would it be hidden somewhere? If not, how do I found that information? Is there anything else I would need done at the trailer dealer? Do I wait until I find my trailer to decide if I need a WDH? If so, how does it work? Does it just slide into the truck receiver? I've never actually seen or used one of these--just read about them and saw pictures.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-01 9:11 AM (#88733 - in reply to #88717)
Subject: RE: Thanks all! I just bought a truck...now what?

Veteran

The WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) is a smart move. This will give you better Steering, controlling trailer Sway and Hop.The installing dealer should show you how it works.

Why have you opted out on a gooseneck? It's a much better tow.
Also works much better in the winter if your a traveler.

Oh, Does the truck have an 8' foot bed?
3/4 ton great!
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-08-01 9:40 AM (#88736 - in reply to #88717)

Veteran

Nice truck!I am biased though as I have an '06 2500 Hemi. :-) Plenty of truck for just about anything you will need. Tows a 100X better than my old Dodge 1500. Gets better mileage too!As for the brake controller- buy a Prodigy with a Dodge wiring harness. Took me all of 5 minutes to install mine. I am pretty handy, but do not do electrical at all. It plugs in under the dash, hardest part is figuring out where to put the two mounting screws (without messing up your pretty new truck!). NO need to pay a dealer to install it. Prodigy comes with good instructions and your truck is wired for brake controller under the dash. Can be had on E(vil)-Bay for about $100. They are much better than the crappy one I had from U-haul (that with installation actually cost more) that I had in my old truck.Just my humble thoughts. Cheers and have happy, safe trailering!
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-01 2:59 PM (#88770 - in reply to #88717)

Regular

The bed is only 6.5' but it is a quad cab so the wheelbase is as long as the regular cab with long bed. I wasn't originally looking for a quad cab, but there seem to be few regular cabs with long beds to be found around here. I'm sure the back seat will come in handy. I can put a saddle or whatever back there and it can be locked up.

I just have one horse and will only be hauling occasionally, so a gooseneck just seemed like overkill. It would take up so much more space and couldn't be hauled by all trucks and I've heard that the cornering could be tricky. And I live in Houston, so no winter to speak of. I just thought as a rookie I'd be better off with a bp. What do others think?

It's encouraging to hear from someone who likes the Dodge 2500. The new 1500 was tempting with all the new truck incentives, but I'm glad I opted for the used 2500 instead--I could never have afforded a new 2500. Thanks for the brake controller advice--it would have never occurred to me to try installing it myself. I've some mechanical experience and I do have tools. We'll see...

Edited by jtravis 2008-08-01 3:02 PM
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-08-01 3:12 PM (#88772 - in reply to #88717)

Veteran

Well we bought our '06 new, but when we were shopping the new ones were cheaper than used ones! The 2500 was only about $1K more than the same truck in a 1500. Now with the surge of used trucks on the market they can be had much cheaper than a couple years ago!We started with a 1500 and a BP 3H, and never trailered more than 2 horses with the 1500-Now we trailer almost every weekend this year, we haul 3 on a regular basis. Get yourself a good 2H BP trailer, even if you decide to go bigger in the future, having a small reliable run about trailer is always a good thing.That said, there is a huge difference between a BP traler (and our 3H has WD setup with sway control) and the gooseneck. Only pulled the GN a few times now (just got it July 3rd) but it sure pulls like a dream, despite being a few thousand pounds heavier. It is a bit more to hook up, but pulling it isn't much of an issue. Cornering is what I was afraid of and our GN isn't much different in corners than the BP. There is a huge difference in turning radius and being able to backup. GN for the win!Whatever trailer you decide on, just make sure it fits the horse and is safe and reliable. :-)Cheers!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-01 3:18 PM (#88774 - in reply to #88717)

Elite Veteran

I have an '04 Dodge 2500HD Diesel crew cab and love it.  I used to have a 2H BP, fully loaded weighed about 6,500 lbs and didn't feel it at all behind me.  It was very stable and I didn't have the WD and didn't need it.  The crew cab gives you enough wheelbase as you mentioned.

I now have a 2H GN w/ weekend package and I'm guessing it weighs about 9000 lbs fully loaded for a 10 day camping trip. It tows very nicely, though of course my mileage drops when I'm hauling.

Having hauled both BP and GN, I prefer GN.  Turning and backing are easy, and I have the hydraulic hitch which makes hitching up a breeze (no cranking).  The GN provides more versatility as you might decide to start camping someday. 

I do highly recomend at least getting a 2H with a large DR as you can always use the space and once you start traveling will find you want to do more and more.  I first bought a 2H BP no DR and within one year, sold it to get one with a DR.  Your truck can easily pull one with a DR, so get it the first time. Also make sure your trailer is at least 7' tall.  Do not buy anything shorter or you will regret it.  

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-01 4:04 PM (#88776 - in reply to #88717)

Elite Veteran

Congrats on your new truck! How Exciting. I remember the day I bought my first truck!

I agree with Dunoir about everything! You will want to do more and more along the way. Definitely get a trailer with a decent sized tack in front. Or even a small 2 horse GN. Camping or longer trips- you will want the space later down the road. Trust me - I am on my 3 rd trailer now because I didn't get what I should have the first 2x's! The GN hauls soooo much nicer- nicer ride for the horses as well. Also is "easier" on your truck's tranny than a BP.

Purchasing your truck used is the best way to go! I got my 2nd truck now- used '02 Duramax Diesel with only 45 k on it!!! The guy kept it garaged the entire time he owned it. It is just like new. I paid only 21K for it! Much better than 50-60K for a new one!!

I have had a brake installer installed 3 times now. Go to a horsetrailer dealer to have this done. I made the mistake of going to an RV place and they did it wrong. Have heard this from others as well. Good Luck and let us know what trailer you decide on. Have fun!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-01 5:21 PM (#88786 - in reply to #88717)

Expert

If the truck is NOT your daily driving vehicle, you might really enjoy having the GN with a small tack area in front that you can also sleep in.

I agree with a large dressing room on the 2H BP though. I started with a tiny little bread box trailer with saddle racks under the manger, then moved to a 2H side-by-side 7'4" tall with LARGE dressing room - where I slept when camping. Eventually going to the small 3H GN.

If you do think about a USED GN (either now or in the future), be sure to check the clearance between the bottom of the GN area and the top rail of your truck. You need 7" - 9" when level. If you did not get 4WD, then it won't be as much an issue - but old GN and new trucks, with the bed so high has been an issue to watch for.

Whether you need a WDH will depend on the gross weight of your trailer (when loaded).  I chose to have an auto-aftermarket place install my hitch and my brake controller since the controller instructions mentioned something about needing to do something extra because of anti-lock brakes in the truck. It might ONLY have been an issue several years ago for that particular controller - so read all instructions carefully for your model and the Dodge.  

I bet you'll have your new trailer in no time at all - then you can practice backing and hooking up and all that stuff.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-01 10:30 PM (#88810 - in reply to #88717)

Expert

As already mentioned, there is NO reason to mess with a dealer for the brake controller.  Get yourself a Prodigy or a P3 and the plug in Dodge harness and it is DIY in a matter of minutes.  I will second the Ebay, I purchased my P3 for $122 delivered. 

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_dbc.aspx

Here is a video of a WDH in action, on a Dodge no less.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv_install_weight_distribution_kit_draw_tite_7903.aspx

It is HIGHLY unlikely you will need a WDH with your truck and a 2H BP.  Save your money until youve made a few test runs to see how you like it.

The rating sticker "should" be on the hitch.  If not you can call Dodge with the VIN and they should be able to help you.

You are correct about a GN being overkill in your situation.  They weigh more, cost more, are longer for the same floor length (but do have storage in the GN if you need that, sounds like you dont), and a GN hitch will cost more $$$.  Neither one is easier to hitch, pull or back.  They are what they are and you will adjust to whatever is behind you.  Anyone who thinks a GN pulls 'better' should have their BP looked at by a professional, something is wrong with it.  Once set up correctly NONE of my BP ever jerked, swayed, wobbled, hiccuped, tugged on the truck or any of the other nonsense you hear so frequently.  Should you move to a 3H I would go with the GN..........but for a "standard" 2H? No way.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-08-02 9:40 AM (#88825 - in reply to #88717)

Expert

My runabout trailer is a taller wider, but not warmblood size, 2h bp with the saddle compartment under the manger.  Not too small, but still, a compact trailer. All of our mules and horses will self load into it, they are not a trailer of choice for the real green stock.

It has the V front.  It pulls very well for my quick trips about, behind a Suburban, the 3/4 ton hardly knows it is back ther ( it is a 5 speed with 4.10 rear end)  They are handy to have around, I have used it to haul furniture (the back post and partition are easily removed) and feed in bad weather etc. I have even hauled a large calf in it once!  We use the stock trailer (20' box GN) for a lot of things, and then the LQ trailer for horse camping etc.  I agree, you will have learn each trailer's towing characteristics as you progress.  Good luck in what ever you acquire, a sound floor, sound hitch and frame, working lights and brakes..... these should be your priorities. 

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-08-02 8:51 PM (#88857 - in reply to #88717)

Regular

I pull a 3 horse stock style bumper pull trailer several times a week.It has a weight distribution hitch. Have the class V factory installed hitch and brake.(HIGHLY RECOMMEND the electric brake)You do not even know the trailer is there. I have owned gooseneck trailers also. Both style of trailers are safe and reliable when matched with the right tow vehicle. Keep up the good work and research. Once you narrow down your search for a trailer, ask for a test drive with your truck attached. See how it feels pulling empty and braking......Take several practice runs hooking it up until you get 400% confident . Good routines set in stone from the beginning will avoid any oversight of not hooking the trailer up correctly......I still turn my lights on to make sure my plug is hooked all the way into the plug to see if the lights come on the trailer!!! and check turn signals before driving off. !!! Best of Luck to ya!!!
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-02 9:14 PM (#88862 - in reply to #88717)

Regular

Thanks everyone for the help! Once I start looking seriously at trailers I'm sure I will post more questions. I know I will be terrified the first time I haul my horse. I definitely plan to practice like crazy, backing up and parking and turning with the empty trailer before I even think of putting her in it. I'll keep reading here and learning all I can! And we're taking the truck for a checkup next week so that we can fix any little things that could be wrong with a used truck.
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-08-08 11:36 AM (#89279 - in reply to #88717)

Regular

If you can afford it, I highly recommend going with a GN over a BP, since you ahve the truck for it. I have pulled both extensively and can tell you, without a doubt, that I will never buy a BP. A GN rides better, seems more stable, and I find it much easier to maneuver and back. See if you can find a nice used 2H GN with a small dressing room. You may not plan on using it a lot but after you discover the "freedom" of owning a trailer, you might find that you end up hauling a lot more than you anticipated.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-08 5:35 PM (#89325 - in reply to #88717)

Expert

You bought a lot of truck, and it will pull a two horse trailer with ease. As Chad said, don't be in a hurry to run out and purchase a WDH. Buy your trailer, hook it up and try things out for a while. With some experience under your belt, you will be able to determine what you will then need, in terms of upgrades for your hitch. Chances are you will need nothing, because you have the towing package.

Many of the members have been pushing the GN trailers over the BP. They, like I have, probably started out with BP and have upgraded. The biggest advantage is more room, the availability of LQs, and the ease to hook up. I've towed both styles, and found little difference in towing the two types of trailers when the same lengths and weights are considered. The GNs sit there like they're on tracks, regardless of side winds, You can jackknife a GN when parking is tough. You can pull a lot more weight with a GN, and the truck is better balanced than with a BP.

Enjoy your new truck.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-08 7:49 PM (#89336 - in reply to #89325)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-08-08 6:35 PM

You bought a lot of truck, and it will pull a two horse trailer with ease. As Chad said, don't be in a hurry to run out and purchase a WDH. Buy your trailer, hook it up and try things out for a while. With some experience under your belt, you will be able to determine what you will then need, in terms of upgrades for your hitch. Chances are you will need nothing, because you have the towing package.

Many of the members have been pushing the GN trailers over the BP. They, like I have, probably started out with BP and have upgraded. The biggest advantage is more room, the availability of LQs, and the ease to hook up. I've towed both styles, and found little difference in towing the two types of trailers when the same lengths and weights are considered. The GNs sit there like they're on tracks, regardless of side winds, You can jackknife a GN when parking is tough. You can pull a lot more weight with a GN, and the truck is better balanced than with a BP.

Enjoy your new truck.

Gard

Gard, perhaps this post belongs in my other thread.  You have posted a well written response but I have a few questions if you dont mind. 

First, did I read correctly that you say a GN is easier to hook up than a BP?  Seems like they are the same to me, with the exception of the tailgate being involved with the GN.

Second,  Ive never experienced any greater problems with the wind hauling a 2H BP than a GN?  To include hauling said trailer with the Trailblazer.

Third,  my BP puts my truck at basically 50%/50% front to rear weight distribution.  With my FIL's GN the trailer is heavier and more weight is put on the rear axle making the truck slightly rear heavy........not a big deal either way.  I dont understand your "the truck is better balanced than with a BP" statement.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-08-08 10:18 PM (#89343 - in reply to #88717)

jtravis.....congrats on your truck.....I have an 06 Dodge 2500....love Dodge trucks.  You will not need a weight distributing hitch with your truck.  I too vote for the gooseneck trailer.  They are easier to hook up imo because you can see the trailer better.  We have a tape line stuck to the bed mat as a line up device.  If you don't need the tailgate, take it off the truck.  I have a 16' stock type trailer now, pulls better than any bp I ever had, gives the horses a smoother ride....and it is useful for hauling all kinds of stuff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)