'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help on details - making a presentation on trailer maintenance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-13 5:17 PM
3 replies, 2422 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-13 11:29 AM (#101287)
Subject: Need help on details - making a presentation on trailer maintenance

Veteran

Hi there - I've been asked to present a "what to have done and what to take to a horse show"' for people who are planning to travel to recognized shows this year.  I've made a chart with Truck, Trailer, Tack, Horse Care, Personal, Other, etc headings.  I've broken the chart into DO NOW, DO a WEEK OR TWO BEFORE, and DO a DAY OR TWO BEFORE. 

I've got the tack, horse care, etc pretty well filled out. 

I've got things like "check tires for lumps, cracks, buldges" under DO NOW and A WEEK BEFORE, and check pressure under the DAY BEFORE.  Stuff like that.

Here's what I need help on.  Mostly the Truck and Trailer headings.  I have called US RIDER and Bearing Buddy and they are sending me info for handouts.  I've got lists of things to pack/take/have. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'll add them into my list.  Any other companies to call for info to pass on also.  I'm going to print out Gard's instructions on sealing aluminum floors too.

Thanks in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-03-13 12:35 PM (#101291 - in reply to #101287)
Subject: RE: Need help on details - making a presentation on trailer maintenance

Veteran

Check all fluids.  Brake, radiator, windsheild washer, oil, tranny.  Top off as necessary. 

Wash the windshield if not the whole truck just for visibility reasons. 

Pack leveling things (wood, plastic, etc) tool kit,

I have an excel spreadsheet that I use for every horse/camping trip.  I can change and update easily.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-13 4:14 PM (#101301 - in reply to #101287)
Subject: RE: Need help on details - making a presentation on trailer maintenance

Expert

It's difficult to prescribe a maintenance list based solely on time for a mechanical devise. The environment in which it is used, has much more of a determining factor, about what maintenance is necessary and when it should be applied.

A trailer used monthly in a warm state and shed stored, will need less maintenance than my trailers, which are stored outside in the winters and sit unused for six months a year. The mechanical upkeep of my trailers may be completely different than yours.

There are many generalities that apply to all. If it moves and rubs, it needs lubrication. This includes wheel bearings, which is a whole other issue, all door and window hinges and latches, ramps, jack head gearboxes, overhead vents, window track slides, electrical plugs etc.

If it is exposed to sunlight, it will be damaged. This includes anything made of fiberglass, rubber, silicone, plastic etc. This would include many fittings, A/C and vent covers found on the roof. Most factory caulking will have to be renewed at some point in time, marine urethanes are the best replacements.

Tires die from old age. The rubber sidewalls will dry out and crack, the cords will degrade over time. The rubber seals on doors and windows will dry out, crack and split. They should coated with a UV dressing and lubricant.

Lights and wiring die from old age. Wiring insulation becomes brittle with age, and if not properly supported, with the constant vibration, will chaff and short out where it passes through the sheet metal. The exposed bulb bases corrode, the crimped wire terminals can break, and you have no lights. When one fails, replacing the OEM lights, with LED units is both cost and time effective.

The type of trailer equipment will determine its maintenance. A LQ involves propane, a pressurized gas and related appliances. They involve a separate inspection. A water system involves plumbing, a pump, heating devices, storage tanks, holding tanks and a different maintenance.

The entire trailer has to be cleaned. How often it is used will determine when it will need to be freshened. The stall flooring requires its own schedule, especially the area under the horse's butt. This will vary with the flooring material, and its coating/covering. 

There are many variables in maintenance. One person's schedule may not be the same as another's.

BOL  Gard

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-13 5:17 PM (#101306 - in reply to #101287)

Veteran

I plan to explain that the list is general and I'm going to email the word doc to anyone who wants it so that they can personalize it.  I plan on having my husband there to answer questions too! 

The other aspects of the presentation will be easier for me as I have examples to use of how person A does it one way, and person B does another.  Things that are legal and not legal to use or have are spelled out, etc.  But yeah, the turck/trailer part will have to be general.  I'm having info from USRider and Bearing Buddy to hand out.  If nothing else, it will get these people thinking ahead of time and not just loading up the day before - I hope.

Thanks to all again - KF

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)