'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stall dimensions for slantload-big enough?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-18 3:24 PM
10 replies, 8419 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-17 10:28 PM (#87663)
Subject: Stall dimensions for slantload-big enough?

Regular

I am considering a basic no-frills 2H bumper pull slantload. This will be my first time buying/pulling a trailer, so I am trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully avoid major mistakes. I've been reading Scheve's book (very helpful) "complete guide to buying maintaining & serviing a horse trailer", and it says that even a small horse needs 9' length and 3' stall width. Applying some trigonometry to the floor plan of the CM slant gives me about 7.35' length and 21" width (measured at right angles and center front to center back). This is for the front stall--of course the back stall would have more room.  Is 9' L x 3' wide really necessary? Surely people haul horses in these all the time. I have a half-arab about 14-2 hands...anything smaller would be close to a pony. I also picked up the info sheet for the basic straight load manger model. This actually has more length and width for the stalls, but I had been leaning toward the slant as it would be a little longer, hopefully more stable, and have a dressing room for not much more $$.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice! This site has been very helpful to me so far.

Jennifer

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-18 12:27 AM (#87668 - in reply to #87663)
Subject: RE: Stall dimensions for slantload-big enough?

Elite Veteran

Hi there-

Bigger is better. It's better to have more room than not enough. I made the mistake of purchasing a trailer that is not tall enough and the stalls are not long enough. 7' tall in one trailer may not be the same as 7' tall in another. I would go bigger even if it's just for resale value alone. Guaranteed, in the future you will want to upgrade. We all do it eventually!

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-18 7:07 AM (#87672 - in reply to #87663)

Expert

Youre still talking about the Dakota? IIRC the Dakota is only 6' wide, a 6' wide slant is not very "roomy". I suspect even your smallish horse would be cramped, yes people use them but..........

I have 2 QH, 15-1h (short backed) and 16h. Even the smaller one would not fit comfortably in the 6' wide slant. When I was trailer shopping I looked at Dakota, looked like an excellent trailer for the money but the 6' wide wouldnt cut it.
jd&ez
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-18 8:32 AM (#87676 - in reply to #87663)

Regular

Originally written by jtravis on 2008-07-17 10:28 PM

I am considering a basic no-frills 2H bumper pull slantload. This will be my first time buying/pulling a trailer, so I am trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully avoid major mistakes. I've been reading Scheve's book (very helpful) "complete guide to buying maintaining & serviing a horse trailer", and it says that even a small horse needs 9' length and 3' stall width. Applying some trigonometry to the floor plan of the CM slant gives me about 7.35' length and 21" width (measured at right angles and center front to center back). This is for the front stall--of course the back stall would have more room.  Is 9' L x 3' wide really necessary? Surely people haul horses in these all the time. I have a half-arab about 14-2 hands...anything smaller would be close to a pony. I also picked up the info sheet for the basic straight load manger model. This actually has more length and width for the stalls, but I had been leaning toward the slant as it would be a little longer, hopefully more stable, and have a dressing room for not much more $$.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice! This site has been very helpful to me so far.

Jennifer

I had a 6' wide 3 horse slant with mangers and 16 hand, long, wide quarter horse rode just as comfortably in it as he does the 8' wide he rides in now. The stalls were longer, {set at more of an angle}, on the 6' wide than they are on the 8'.

The horse has to have the length room. The horses don't know how wide the trailer is. They know how much room they have.

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 9:47 AM (#87685 - in reply to #87663)

Veteran

Try this site:

www.merhowtrailers.com/Slant_Load.html

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-18 11:06 AM (#87688 - in reply to #87676)

Expert

Originally written by jd&ez on 2008-07-18 8:32 AM

I had a 6' wide 3 horse slant with mangers and 16 hand, long, wide quarter horse rode just as comfortably in it as he does the 8' wide he rides in now. The stalls were longer, {set at more of an angle}, on the 6' wide than they are on the 8'.

The horse has to have the length room. The horses don't know how wide the trailer is. They know how much room they have.

While you are correct the angle has to do with how much room they actually have, I dont think she is talking about your 6' slant w/mangers.   I believe she is talking about the Dakota with which I have actual experience.  And of course there is mine/yours definition of comfort.  IIRC on the 6' wide model the first stall measured 112" on the diagonal......I dont remember the width, but I do remember it was barely enough for the horse to stand on the diagonal to take advantange of the pitiful 112" to begin with.  Although things may have changed since 2004, I see on the for sale listings the Dakota is also avaliable in 6'8".....used to be the smooth sided Dakta SSL in 6'8".

The best advice for buying a slant is to put the actual horse in the actual trailer.  If thats not possible, then measure and make some sort of home mock-up. 

Edited by chadsalt 2008-07-18 11:22 AM
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 2:12 PM (#87693 - in reply to #87663)

Regular

Yes, I was lookong at the 6' CM Dakota. I can see that without knowing the angle or actual stall length/width, it would be impossible to compare 6' wide trailers. A horse could fit fine in one but not another. Maybe I will need to go with the little straight-load manger trailer after all. I really can't justify moving to a high-end trailer as I will only be hauling occasionally, and I'm also shelling out $$ for a truck. I'll keep noodling this...

Thanks everyone for your help! If anyone has suggestions for a particular brand/model of starter trailer, please let me know.

Jennifer

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 2:17 PM (#87694 - in reply to #87672)

Regular

If you don't mind, what did you end up buying instead of the Dakota? Did you find anything comparable that was large enough?
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 2:40 PM (#87695 - in reply to #87685)

Regular

Keepsake Farm,

Thank you for the very helpful link about the slantload geometry. All those examples are definitely bigger than the one I was looking at. It would be helpful if the manufacturers would put the partition length and stall width on their floor plans, as in the article in Keepsake's link. I think they are counting on the fact that the math-challenged will not be able to figure out how small the stalls are. This will be a good problem to give my students the next time I teach trig.

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 3:21 PM (#87696 - in reply to #87663)

Veteran

I put my largest (longest) horse in my arena with the edge acting as the manger and drew a box the size that I thought I needed around her.  Then, when I looked at trailers, I measured all the stalls and compared the measurements that I'd taken.  And then I did actually haul a mare to a friends and load her in a trailer the same size before I bought one.  It's been fine, but I really did want a two horse straight load, but hubby wanted the 3 H slant. 

Good luck!  Make it fun if you can.

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 3:24 PM (#87697 - in reply to #87663)

Veteran

I shouladd that I used to haul a 17.2 hh horse in a 6' wide WW stock trailer.  He got two stalls and was never taken very far but it can be done!  Needless to say, he loaded and trailered like a dream.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)