'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing Capacity of GMC 2500 Diesel

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-06 1:56 PM
3 replies, 3476 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kypeep
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-05 9:59 PM (#86909)
Subject: Towing Capacity of GMC 2500 Diesel

Thinking of buying a larger trailer and wondering how much I can tow. The truck is a 2004 GMC 3/4 ton automatic Duramax diesel (Allison transmission, if that matters). Full double cab, 4WD.  Considering either a no LQ 3-horse (don't figure this will be a problem) or a LQ 3-horse.  Worried that I might exceed capacity with the LQ trailer, especially with all 3 horse slots filled.  Anybody got a notion?

Also, trying to make a decision about trading this truck in (60,000 miles, owe less than $15K on it) vs. keeping it. How is the pricing for a new truck, same version?  Are the dealers "dealing" on the new ones? Really tough to think about going back to oweing the bank more money on one...

Edited by kypeep 2008-07-05 10:02 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-07-06 10:22 AM (#86920 - in reply to #86909)
Subject: RE: Towing Capacity of GMC 2500 Diesel

I tow a four horse Logan LQ with an 8' shortwall. With four horses in it it is right at the manufacturer's max weight on the rear axle. I've weighed it to be sure. This is a steel framed trailer with and aluminum skin. You should be fine with a three horse, as long as you don't go over about a 10' shortwall LQ. It tows great, and I feel very comfortable driving it.

As far as dealing on a new truck, I recently thought about doing the same and in my area dealers are full of used diesel trucks. There are some great incentives and interest rates available on a brand new truck. I penciled it all out, and if I could have gotten NADA trade in value for my truck I would have done it. Problem is, around here at least, they won't give me trade in value. Too many used diesels on the lots, they would only go aution price. Three dealers basically told me the same thing, showed me the auction price lists etc. Around $3-5k below trade in value was the best I could get. (After negotiating the new truck down to invoice or below). So, I tried to sell it myself at an advertised price a little less than trade in value. No bites after a month, so I decided to keep it.

Good luck.
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-06 11:21 AM (#86921 - in reply to #86909)

I tow a 4 horse 10ft lq Sooner,It,s a lot of wieght going down the road .

We have a 08 super duty dually and would not use any less of a truck.

I don't believe you should have  more trailer than truck or take it right to the

max capacity of the truck.I think more truck than trailer is your best bet.

jd&ez
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-06 1:56 PM (#86931 - in reply to #86909)

Regular

See what the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, {GVWR}, for that truck is. An educated guess is about 18,000#. If the truck weighs 6,000#, that's tailer loaded weight of 12,000#.

The manufacturers are very consertative on the GVWR numbers, so, it's not a problem to be right at the numbers. Many people exceed the numbers regularly, but, if you are in an accident, some smart lawyer if gonna find a way to sue you if you are over the GVWR.

I used to pull an 11' shortwall full LQ 3 horse trailer with a Chevy 3/4 ton and never had the first problem. Loaded that trailer was about 14,000 lbs. I pulled it about 50,000 miles over a 3 year period before I decided to get a dually. The dually didn't do any better of a job pulling it than the 3/4 ton. The 3500 did use more fuel. The best thing about the dually was the safety if you blew a rear tire and the stability.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)