'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse loading issue

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-21 2:52 PM
13 replies, 5166 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-16 7:13 AM (#87515)
Subject: horse loading issue

Elite Veteran

Hi all,

I have had my gelding for 13 years now and have never had a problem with him not wanting to load- ever. He loves to go!

Today we trailered to the local park for a trail ride. he loaded just ok on the way there....but the way back, he would not get into the trailer!!! He would get in with his front feet only then back out. I have been noticing that he is hesitant lately due to he keeps hitting his hind shins every time now while loading. He has now developed a phobia I guess. He tries to jump in with the hind end.He does have side bone in the front feet. I notice that he is uncomfortable going down-hill sometimes. I wonder if this is giving him a hard time loading? I can tell that he is concerned , not just not wanting to load. Anyways, my trailer has the rear rubber bumper. No ramp. It doesn't have a really high floor compared to others out there. Can a ramp be added to just any trailer? How much am I looking at spending for one at the  dealer? I have an '06 Monarch Classic GN. Thanks all!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-16 7:34 AM (#87517 - in reply to #87515)
Subject: RE: horse loading issue

If he was mine, I'd get the vet and farrier to take a look at him. There is something going on with his feet causing pressure or pain. With the problem going down hill also, could be some mild/early rotation of the coffin bone. A horse that age doesn't just wake up one day and decide not to load, something is hurting him. Good luck with him and keep us posted.
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-07-16 8:33 AM (#87521 - in reply to #87515)

Regular

I agree with the vet check.  He should be looked at.  Also, when loading him, check the ground and move the back end of the trailer to the highest point of ground so he can walk on easier. 
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-16 10:12 AM (#87534 - in reply to #87515)

Veteran

Don't forget to have your trailer examined as well.  There could be something going on-ie an ungrounded wire that gives off a shock everytime you apply the brakes, that is making your horse hesitant to get on. 
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 10:28 AM (#87535 - in reply to #87515)

I agree with the vet check, and the electrical check, but also check the floor of the trailer for any soft spots.

In answer to your question, you can probably get a ramp added to your trailer.

Edited by kentuckyrain 2008-07-16 10:30 AM
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-16 3:08 PM (#87555 - in reply to #87515)

Elite Veteran

Sometimes when he does jump in (trailer)... he slides too. I did have to move the trailer yesterday pointing the truck and trailer slightly up hill so that the back end of the trailer was so that the rear of it was not too high. Still, he was hesitant to load .So I am pretty sure it is the whole "loading" thing more than his feet. He was perfectly sound yesterday on the trail ride. When we got home, I turned him loose and he was like Secretariat going up the hill to the barn! I have had the one foot ex-rayed because he had a nail puncture in that hoof. That is when we spotted the side bone. So, I am sure the other foot has it too. He was a Pacer (Standardbred) off the track. I will have both feet ex-rayed. I am curious to try out a friends trailer with a ramp and see if he is more comfortable loading in it. Thanks all for your advice!!
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-20 5:14 PM (#87774 - in reply to #87515)

Veteran

a ramp could be added onto the rear.  You might have to add some sort of spacer onto the rear (3x2 tubing???) and bolt the ramp to that.  You have to have the spacer so the ramp will fold up without hitting the rear door latch.  Is the trailer steel or alum?
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-20 7:18 PM (#87779 - in reply to #87774)

Elite Veteran

Hi Trailerman,

My trailer is all aluminum. '06 "Monarch Classic". I was even thinking of having a ramp that would slide underneath the trailer floor? I wonder how hard it would be to weld and fasten a system to the underside beams?The ramp would not be the same width as the trailer of course. It would be a little wider than the door. (Trailer has double rear doors) I know someone that has a miniature horse trailer that was custom made to ride in the bed of the truck just like a camper. There was a space at the bottom of the trailer between the truck bed and the bottom of that little trailer that the maker made for the ramp. The ramp had a hole drilled at the end so all u had to do was use a hay pick or something to pull it out with.

dmqtrhorses
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-20 7:23 PM (#87780 - in reply to #87555)

New User

You said he slides? Do you have matts or bedding on floor?
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-20 9:48 PM (#87795 - in reply to #87780)

Elite Veteran

I have the rumber flooring in my trailer. I don't use shavings because the horses would cough the whole ride because of the shavings. have tried the big shavings as well with the same result. So i quit using bedding in the trailer.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-07-21 8:55 AM (#87808 - in reply to #87515)

Elite Veteran

I have an older Exiss that is a step up but also has a detachable ramp. It has 2 brackets welded under the main door behind the rubber bumper and you put it on with pins. I have never used it. Just thought it would be a PIA because I would have to find a place to store it in travel..It's not a permanate fixture.
Laynie
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-07-21 9:19 AM (#87811 - in reply to #87515)

I agree that he should be vet checked.  But I had the same thing with my old gelding, bumping his shins getting in.  You could tell that it hurt really bad as he would hold that leg up for a few seconds.  I started using trailer wraps, good thick ones on all his legs.  The first time he bumped, it was no big deal and from then on he got right in every time, but I always used the wraps from then on.  These were good thick, fleece lined wraps.  A simple, inexpensive cure for his problem.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-21 2:50 PM (#87836 - in reply to #87808)

Elite Veteran

Hi Mingiz,

Do you have any pics of the ramp on your older Exiss? I am looking at ideas other than the trailer dealership adding one on. I have a friend that welds and would like to give him a couple of ideas. Thanks.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-21 2:52 PM (#87837 - in reply to #87811)

Elite Veteran

Hi Laynie,

I will try the polo wraps and see if that works, also I am going to try boots on his feet too. Thanks

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)