'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I hate electricity...well sometimes......

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-10 10:31 AM
16 replies, 5835 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-05 5:41 PM (#85273)
Subject: I hate electricity...well sometimes......

Today I hook the truck up to the trailer, plug in the electric connector, check the lights and then notice no connection indicator on the brake controller. Hummm.... well at least the lights are working, gotta get the horse to the vet, will deal with the brakes later. Hop in the truck, not going anywhere, the trailer's not rolling. So unplug the electric and roll with no lights or brakes, just a short trip during the day time, not good but do-able.

Does this kind of aggravating electrical shenanigans happen to anyone else? Everything worked perfectly last hook-up!

Any ideas where to start looking, I hate electricity!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-06-05 7:45 PM (#85276 - in reply to #85273)
Subject: RE: I hate electricity...well sometimes......

Probably a blown fuse in the truck.  In answer to your question, yup happens to me too.  One of my darlins bashed in the front fender of my truck.....gotta love 'em.
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-06-05 9:50 PM (#85286 - in reply to #85273)

Regular

I have lighting gremlins at work, too.  When I first got the trailer, my truck had a different plug, so I got an adapter.  Both lights would flash when either turn signal was on.  No running lights at all.  Never even checked for brake lights.  Didn't have the brake controller, yet.  Got a new plug put on my truck.  Everything worked, except one marker light on the left front.  Figured possibly both bulbs out or just a bad fixture.  Got the brake controller at the same time.  All working, except that one marker light.  Then, I hitch up one day and notice no tail lights.  Turn signals and brake lights work.  Then, I notice the truck doesn't have tail lights!  Explains that problem.  Blown fuse in the truck.  Fixed that( had to do it MYSELF, as husband who was asked to do it, never did!) and back to all working except the one marker light.  Husband STILL hasn't looked at it for me.  I hook it up a couple days later, no tail lights on trailer, turn signals and brake lights work, AND ALL the marker lights (including the one that had NEVER worked before) working, except light over license plate.  I give.  Just trying not to drive it after dark or in the rain!
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-06 8:47 AM (#85296 - in reply to #85273)

Veteran

Yes, wiring problems happen to everyone.  New trailers, old trailers, any trailer. These problems seem to strike when you have someplace important to be, such as a show, trail ride, or vet appointment.  The lights may work fine when you parked it two days ago, but I do believe that the wiring gremlins come and sabotage things in the night. I've gotten quite good at doing emergency splicing/repairing/diagnosing.  I bought a cheap-o little kit from an auto parts store that has a large assortment of wire connectors, some wire, wire strippers, a tester, etc.  all in a convenient carry box.  One time, a tire blew out on a friend's trailer and the flapping tread scrapped his tail light wiring. It would have been nice to have that box of equipment then.  At least I feel prepared now for when the wiring gremlins visit.

Amanda

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-07 6:46 PM (#85361 - in reply to #85273)

OK, I checked all the fuses, and they are all good. All wiring that is exposed is in good condition, no wear or cuts to be seen. Can the adapter I am using possibly be the problem? I lost my old one and this is a new one. You would think they would all be alike but maybe not..... 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-07 8:15 PM (#85362 - in reply to #85273)

Expert

the adapter.....
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-08 11:39 AM (#85384 - in reply to #85361)

Expert

Adapters are notorious for causing problems.  I finally just rewired my trailer to match my truck so I wouldn't need an adapter anymore.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-06-08 3:41 PM (#85395 - in reply to #85273)

Elite Veteran

It is also possible that the adapter is wired slightly different than the old one. Ussually the instructions tell you of this possibility. You can take them apart and rewire them in a matter of minutes. Good luck.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-08 4:15 PM (#85401 - in reply to #85273)

Expert

Not all adapters are wired the same and are not interchangeable. Throw it away and purchase a plug that is compatible with your tow vehicle.

Gard

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-06-08 6:54 PM (#85407 - in reply to #85273)

Regular

Lighting gremlins at work, again!  I hooked up my trailer tonight to bring it home, so I can take it to get new tires in the morning.  Still no tail lights or license plate light.  Turn signals and brake lights OK, but all of a sudden the red rear marker light is not working.  This one has worked fine all along.  I happened to have one of the plastic wheel chocks in my hand, so I figured, "What the heck?" and I reached up and gave the light as smack and it came on!  I tried a tail light and the license plate light, but no such luck!
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-08 8:25 PM (#85410 - in reply to #85273)

Dave from Tobruk Trailers rescued me from the electrical gremlins!  It was the adapter .... but now it works! Thanks Dave, I have one less worry now.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-09 1:39 AM (#85418 - in reply to #85273)

Veteran

Hello

Electrical gremlins live in South Africa as well... it is a common problem which most often do not really have simple answeres.... The wiring on vehicles now days are so complex, that if you get a bad earth for example (which is the most common problem) the lights tend to get a mind of their own... so if you ever have problems with lights or brakes - check the earths first - if that doesnt work get the hammer - that fixes most problems...

On a different note Dave from Tobruk must be a saint of sorts. I have just purchased a new Cherokee trailer from him (and I live in South Africa) and he really had gone way beyond what was expected of him to ensure that my trailer was delivered for shipping on time... would love to meet him in person one day...

Good to know there are good people in this world.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-09 4:49 AM (#85419 - in reply to #85273)

Expert

(quote) - if that doesnt work get the hammer - that fixes most problems...

Nick, I've been trying to tell some of these folks that for some time now!!!....They don't believe me!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-09 10:31 AM (#85424 - in reply to #85419)

Expert

My granda calls that hammermodulation.  He said if you can't figure it out wack it with a hammer.  If that doesn't work wack it a few more times and make sure its good and broke then just replace the whole durn thing.
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-06-09 2:38 PM (#85434 - in reply to #85273)

Regular

OK, so today's deal is...I take the trailer off to get 4 new tires.  In a previous thread, I mentioned that I bought it (off eBay-NOT as describred!) with not only passenger tires, BUT two different sizes of passenger tires on it.  One of my many lessons from here was that trailers needed trailer tires, so new tires it is.  The larger two of the tires were looking a bit scary, anyway.  I will NOT tell you what I found out the manufacture date of those tires to be, once they came off!  Yet, another thing I learned on here.  ANYWAY, nice new tires, start off to return the trailer to the barn and my first stop light, it feels like the brakes on the trailer are really grabbing.  I don't know why new tires would make the brakes grab more, but whatever, I turn the brake controller(Tekonsha Voyager) down.  I test it a couple times, until I feel like they are braking just right.  By the time I am getting close to the barn (about 20 miles), I feel like maybe the brakes aren't working as well.  When I get to where I can test them, they are no longer working at all!  What the heck?!  I tried starting all over with the brake controller, leveling it and setting the power to the brakes, but I get nothing.  The green light is working and it turns to red when the brake pedal is pressed, but that joker doesn't think about stopping unless you use the truck brakes.  I give!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-09 2:58 PM (#85437 - in reply to #85434)

Expert

Maybe when they were jacking up the trailer to put the new tires on they broke/damaged the ground wire.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-10 10:31 AM (#85464 - in reply to #85434)

Green light is working and turns red....sounds like you brakes themselves are out of adjustment. Sounds like the controller is working correctly. Of course, you could have only one brake trying to work and the controller would still change to red.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)