'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer - "hot wheel"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-09 9:02 AM
11 replies, 7147 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-02 8:45 AM (#85025)
Subject: trailer - "hot wheel"

Regular

I have an Eby GN and have the wheels repacked each year. This year I also needed new brakes and had my mechanic install them. After the new brakes I took the trailer loaded with 2 horses on a camping trip approx 80 miles round trip. When driving over to the campground from my place I heard the left rear wheel kind of moaning when I applied the brakes - which worked fine BTW. Upon arriving at the campground I got occupied with getting the horses settled and gabbing and forgot about the wheel and did not check for heat, etc. On the way home the wheel also moaned and then I could smell heat. Stopped and checked and the wheel was leaking grease (behind the hubcap) and really hot. I turned the trailer brakes off and drove the rest of the way home. Wheel was less hot when I arrived home. Next week I called the mechanic and explained the problem and brought the trailer in. BTW - I turned the brakes off when bringing up to the garage (6 miles) and the wheel did have heat in it. Mechanic replaced the seal (with supposedly correct seal) which he said was the wrong kind that he used originally. Picked up the trailer, drove home and still have heat in the wheel. So...what now? Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-02 9:08 AM (#85029 - in reply to #85025)
Subject: RE: trailer - "hot wheel"

Expert

You have one or possibly two problems.

One is when the bearing was repacked, the adjustment nut and lock that determines the end play and bearing preload is torqued too tightly. This will cause excessive heat, a melting of the lubricating grease, and an early bearing or spindle failure.

The second problem could be the brake shoes dragging within the brake drum. This is caused by an improper initial adjustment, the installation of the wrong shoes, a brake drum that was not turned when it was scored, or the improper installation of the brake shoe linkage controlled by the magnets.

If the wheel is jacked up and spun, an incorrectly adjusted brake shoe can be heard contacting the drum. It will make a swishing, grinding noise and the wheel will slow quickly.

If the wheel turns without any apparent noise, which it should, but still slows precipitously, the wheel bearing is adjusted too tightly. A properly torqued bearing is initially torqued to twice its final torque while the wheel is spun in a forward direction.. The wheel nut is then backed off of all torque, and again while the wheel is spun, retorqued to the manufacturer's final specifications.

A wheel that has properly adjusted bearings and drum brakes, should spin freely without any noise.

You are wise to recognise this problem. Serious damage can be caused by either problem and it's best to repair it immediately. If your mechanic installed an incorrect seal, I would hold his other work suspect. His brake installation may be best determined by the inspection of a second, competent mechanic.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-02 9:31 AM
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-02 10:00 AM (#85032 - in reply to #85025)

Regular

Gard - a BIG thank you for the trouble shooting. Now I have something to take to the mechanic who, BTW is great on trucks/cars but only does a hanful of trailers a year. He will be receptive to the suggestions.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-02 10:39 AM (#85038 - in reply to #85025)

Expert

You're welcome. Please reread my last sentence.

Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-02 8:22 PM (#85089 - in reply to #85025)

Expert

Originally written by pasobeth on 2008-06-02 7:45 AM

...I could smell heat. Stopped and checked and the wheel was leaking grease (behind the hubcap) and really hot. I turned the trailer brakes off and drove the rest of the way home. Wheel was less hot when I arrived home. Next week I called the mechanic and explained the problem and brought the trailer in. BTW - I turned the brakes off when bringing up to the garage (6 miles) and the wheel did have heat in it. Mechanic replaced the seal (with supposedly correct seal) which he said was the wrong kind that he used originally....

I have a hard time believing the seal caused the heat.  The wrong seal on ONE wheel ???  Even if the wrong seal, it's only a rubber lip on the spindle...  I'm with Gard on this... Either the brakes are dragging and/or the bearings are toasted.  This wheel has issues.  It got hot enough to melt the grease. (actually, made it separate from the thickener)  if nothing else, it needs to be repacked.

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-03 10:16 AM (#85132 - in reply to #85025)

Regular

Update on my hotwheel...Had hubby take the truck and trailer to the mechanics this AM.  They did the wheel test (spinning) and the brake worked and then (quite unexpectedly) it did not work AT ALL.  So...here is the conclusion.  There is a wire/electrical short in the left rear brake.  The wiring will be replaced.  In the meantime I had planned on leaving tomorrow morning to go camping/riding.  So, IF the wiring cannot be replaced today, he will disconnect the "bad" wiring from that wheel and replace it on my return.  I will still have brakes on 3 other wheels.  With any luck, it will be rewired today and I should be good to go.  Of course my trailer is a 1995 and has original wiring etc and even though it's an EBY (best Alum made IMO) it travels in ice, snow, salt, crude, etc for 6 months out of the year up here in rural northeast NY state.  WIring is bound to go bad under there at some point!

Edited by pasobeth 2008-06-03 10:30 AM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-03 2:50 PM (#85145 - in reply to #85025)

Expert

Be sure an take that for a test run before your trip... the wire issue may not be the "hot" issue... take a good test drive....for certain.
karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-06-03 4:33 PM (#85148 - in reply to #85025)

Regular

I'm wondering if I have the same thing going on (drag on the brakes/wheels).  GOing to check it out this weekend...I also thank you for the suggestions.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-03 4:48 PM (#85151 - in reply to #85025)

Expert

Was this the same mechanic that installed the wrong grease seal? You said that the wheel was unusually hot, when you towed with the brakes off. If the brakes aren't being used, and the wheel is hot, I would assume the bearing adjustment is incorrect. Your trip may result in an expensive breakdown, with a bearing or spindle replacement, if I am correct.

I would not go anywhere without having that bearing inspected, repacked and retorqued correctly.

Gard

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-03 9:21 PM (#85166 - in reply to #85151)

Expert

what is the recommended mile for repacking  and greasing etc?. I have mice that look for wire to eat around here, they did in a  car  next door all wire was eaten
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-04 8:31 PM (#85227 - in reply to #85025)

Expert

pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-06-09 9:02 AM (#85423 - in reply to #85025)
Subject: RE: trailer - "hot wheel" - UPDATE

Regular

OK - Back from 200 mile trip with the trailer after having the wire replaced and NO PROBLEMS. The electrical short was causing the magnets to engage but not disengage - causing the hot wheel. Because of the initial heat, the seal broke and lost grease. The wheel bearings/grease was done correctly the first time, then repacked/new seal and second time, then brakes adjusted (correctly) - and the problem presisted. Ended up being electrical, but the diagnosing was difficult. BTW - the corroded wire was on the RIGHT rear wheel of the trailer and the hot wheel was on the LEFT rear wheel. Go figure? Anyway, thanks all for your help/suggestions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)