'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailblazer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-28 5:50 PM
4 replies, 3758 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

katie_phantom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-27 4:00 PM (#84763)
Subject: Trailblazer

New User

Hello!I'm considering purchasing a 2 horse BP (either with or without a tackroom, pref with as we are looking at a 2000 Maplelawn with a tackroom right now) and we have a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer, I think it is a V6 LT version. Does anyone have experience with this SUV as a towing vehicle?Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-28 7:01 AM (#84788 - in reply to #84763)
Subject: RE: Trailblazer

Expert

Yes I have. What exactly would you like to know?
katie_phantom
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-28 8:49 AM (#84801 - in reply to #84788)

New User

Have you had any problems with pulling any trailers?  Did you have a maximum trailer size that you stayed away from?  (As in, would the 2 horse bumper with a tackroom be way to heavy?)  I don't really know anything about trailering, so really anything relevant would be helpful.
Thanks!

tyndallsl
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-28 10:33 AM (#84807 - in reply to #84763)

New User

I recently bought a 2 horse with a dressing room. I have owned an Olds Bravada which is basically the same thing as a trailblazer and I would not hook it to this trailer. Go as lite as possible.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-28 5:50 PM (#84832 - in reply to #84801)

Expert

Originally written by katie_phantom on 2008-05-28 9:49 AM

Have you had any problems with pulling any trailers?  Did you have a maximum trailer size that you stayed away from?  (As in, would the 2 horse bumper with a tackroom be way to heavy?)  I don't really know anything about trailering, so really anything relevant would be helpful.
Thanks!

I had no problems pulling any trailer Ive hooked it to.  The max trailer size is listed in the owners manual, around 6000# on my 2002 IIRC.  I was at that max pulling the trailer in my sig, so I suspect the trailer youre looking at will be similar.  I will assume your intended use will be casual weekend hauling in moderate terrain and not running 500 miles a weekend on the show circuit through the mountains? 1 or 2 horses?  I believe the only engine options are an inline 6 cylinder or a V8?  I had the 6.

You will NEED a brake controller and a weight distributing hitch, you will also NEED to learn how to set the hitch up correctly.  Most people, including the dealerships, do not know how.  This will take time, test run miles and trip(s) to a scale.  The factory shocks on the Trailblazer were a bit soft IMO for hauling, I replaced mine with HD Bilstein.  I also installed an external tranny cooler, never actually checked how hot it was getting.  I already had a cooler laying around so I figured it would be easier to just put it in than to mess with a tranny gauge.  I averaged 13-14 mpg (the same Im getting with the Dmax), had plenty of power on the interstate at 65 mph.  Its performance in the mountains around Asheville, NC would probably be considered "poor" by most people.  I have a heavy foot, but it did pretty well considering what I was asking it to do. The brakes felt better than the brakes in my 2500HD, I had ZERO sway or other handling problems.  Technically it would be easier to just use a ½ ton or larger truck, that way you could just drop it on the ball and go.  Someone will surely mention that, but its not always an option……..I was there a few years back, sometimes you make due with what you have.  And I was pleasantly surprised at the ability of my “little” Trailblazer.

Learning to pull a trailer with any vehicle at loaded to its max is not really the best way to learn, but it can be done.  Do you have any one local with experience that can help you?  Make plenty of hauls with the empty trailer until you are comfortable with it BEFORE taking a loaded horse trip.

I should probably add that Ive towed all types of trailers my entire life.  I drive big rigs for a living, I have backed a trailer farther than many people have pulled one.  I would be classified by most as extremely experienced, so what works/is comfortable for me may not be for the next guy.  Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any help.

Edited by chadsalt 2008-05-29 6:48 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)