'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
3/4 ton vx 1 ton & Megacabs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-10 6:09 PM
9 replies, 4845 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barngirl
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-09-27 6:10 PM (#68493)
Subject: 3/4 ton vx 1 ton & Megacabs

My husband is itching to get a new truck. We drove a Dodge 3500, SRW, Mega Cab today simply because it was the only MC on the lot and I wanted to check it out. We pull a Featherlite 4 horse w/ 6 ft SW dressing room, no LQ. I would like to hear about pros/cons for driving a 3/4 ton vs. a 1 ton. I'd also like to know if any of you are pulling with a Megacab and if that cab length has been a problem. We have pulled with a shortbox for years so that isn't a problem for us.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 10:45 PM (#68507 - in reply to #68493)
Subject: RE: 3/4 ton vx 1 ton & Megacabs

Extreme Veteran

With no LQ it will be fine because the pin weight will not be as high. To ask all of your questions about Dodge trucks go join this site. Did it have a Cummins or a 5.7 Hemi? I would get the Cummins in it.

www.dieseltruckresource.com

captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-28 7:37 AM (#68514 - in reply to #68493)

Veteran

For what it is worth...several friends of mine have gotten rid of their Mega cabs becasue of the super-short bed which puts the gooseneck hitch about 6" closer to the cab. This created turning problems with the gooseneck. A local trailer hitch company also has had some problems with clearance issues with the exhaust hitting the hitch under load. They all went back to the regular Dodge 2 crew style cab.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-28 8:17 AM (#68516 - in reply to #68493)

Elite Veteran

Dealer friend of mine says the same thing. He sells a lot of pop-up extenders to mega-cab folks, and they still aren't very happy. It just doesn't seem very well suited to GN/fifth wheel towing.....
kraigrrr
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 12:44 PM (#68997 - in reply to #68493)

b&w makes an extender that will set it back and you can also get a new down post on your trailer that sets it bak even more... I have sold several Dodge Mega Cabs this way and the people driving them say they have had no problems.... it is a bit of work at first but with all the room you get from the Mega Cab it's well worth it... Have you looked into getting a 3500 cab&chassis?

That's what I tow with and I love it!

Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-11 9:39 PM (#69245 - in reply to #68493)

Veteran

We have a 2500 mega cab and pull a 4 horse Titan with a 6' LQ. We have a B$W Turnover ball with the standard straight up ball. We don't have any issues pulling this trailer, although the nose on the trailer is very narrow. I can see where it would be a problem with a wider nose. The 2500 doesn't handle the trailer all that well anyway, but then the last truck was a 3500 dually. I love the space in the cab in this new truck, but I sure miss my dually!!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-10-12 8:27 AM (#69250 - in reply to #69245)

Expert

Originally written by Zipitude on 2007-10-11 8:39 PM

We have a 2500 mega cab and pull a 4 horse Titan with a 6' LQ. We have a B$W Turnover ball with the standard straight up ball. We don't have any issues pulling this trailer, although the nose on the trailer is very narrow. I can see where it would be a problem with a wider nose. The 2500 doesn't handle the trailer all that well anyway, but then the last truck was a 3500 dually. I love the space in the cab in this new truck, but I sure miss my dually!!

Zip:  Just a curiosity question... What do you miss about your old dually towing this trailer? 

rachel1984
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-10 3:01 PM (#83664 - in reply to #68997)

New User

Hello i just purchased my new dodge mega cab and i am going to add a gooseneck hitch. Can you give me somemore information on the extender you are talking about.

Thanks so much

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 6:07 PM (#83667 - in reply to #83664)

Regular

I just had a B&W turnover hitch installed in my 2500 dodge megacab.  probably wasted a bit of money since I then bought the ball with a 4" extender which, of course, will not "turn over".  (the regular ball is stowed in the truck for now.)

i had pulled my featherlite without any problems in regards to the nose hitting the cab, but after reading several posts about that problem, i decided i didn't want to take a chance.  (there are always too many things going on around me when i am either backing up or moving my trailer and i really just didn't want to have to worry about constantly watching the amount of space between the nose and the trailer.)

we have two other dodge 3/4 ton trucks, both with the longer beds, and both four door extended cabs.  one is manual, which i don't like to use when i haul horses, esp in traffic and the other one is fine for short trips but the cab gets too small and crowded with myself and two daughters hauling to horse shows, etc.  i am not fond of the short bed in the mega cab but dang...the cab area is bigger than the first two rows of seating in my old excursion!  that back seat and the leg room is really nice.  so...in my opinion, you can compensate for the short bed with extensions (i am curious to hear from people who actually use the extensions which attach to the trailer itself) but you can't extend the cab area of an 'extended' cab to ever equal the space in a megacab.  (my husband wants me to sell my megacab and get a car that gets good gas mileage, but just about any car that has the room of a megacab is not going to get much more mpg than the truck anyway.  and besides, we 'share' a little diesel VW jetta for running the roads when we don't need a truck...that little gem gets 45 mpg.  not bad if you don't mind feeling like a bug on the highway...)   good luck.

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 6:09 PM (#83668 - in reply to #68493)

Regular

oops, wanted to ask "Captclank" what he meant by "clearance issues (with megacabs) with the exhaust hitting the hitch under load".  ??  could you explain that a bit more?  i am guessing you are talking about the tailpipe of the truck hitting something when hauling a trailer??  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)