'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
truck bed liner: a cousin of werm?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-14 9:15 AM
21 replies, 7052 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-06 10:06 AM (#83266)
Subject: truck bed liner: a cousin of werm?

Regular

i am sure most of you are familar with the material used to spray in the bed of trucks.  i have never seen a werm floor and was wondering what the difference is between the two?

i am guessing the werm material is tougher, maybe thicker than what is put in the truck bed?

last week, while trying to drag heavy mats out of the trailer to clean the floor...again...and hurting my back...again, i started wondering about werm flooring and how nice that would be.  well, seems like the closest place to me is somewhere in oklahoma. so...i wondered if the spray in bedliner would work UNDER the mats.

and yes, i know i would have to still pull out the mats to really do a through cleaning job, but maybe only once a year, in hopes that the bed liner material would keep the urine from contacting the floor.

thoughts, opinions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-06 10:07 AM (#83267 - in reply to #83266)
Subject: RE: truck bed liner: a cousin of werm?

Expert

I don't have a WERM floor covering but I don't think mats are necessary with one,matter of fact,I don't think they would be a recommendation.Others with experience will come on and tell you more,but I've read threads about it before and I think that is the norm with WERM.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-06 10:28 AM (#83271 - in reply to #83266)

I have had the WERM floor in several trailers. No mats are needed. But the WERM flooring is bucketed or poured into the trailer not sprayed. It has to set in place without the trailer moving for a long while to allow it to cure (almost like concrete has to cure). It is almost as thick as what a mat would be. I have the Rhino sprayed liners in dually beds and it is very thin compared to the WERM floor in my trailers. I think thatto make the sprayed in bed that thick it would cost alot more $$$ than the WERM floor does.
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-06 11:10 AM (#83275 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

but if it was sprayed on the trailer floor, then mats put  back on top, shouldn't that keep the urine from coming in contact with the aluminum floor?  that is all i want, something to keep urine from getting on the floor so that i don't have to haul mats out of the trailer after every use.  the spray on stuff wouldn't have to be thick like the werm....it would be protected by the mats....

TERP
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-05-06 11:57 AM (#83277 - in reply to #83266)

Sundowner quit using thier suncoat (just like a spray inbed liner)on trailers because it was flaking off and they were having a lot of warranty issues according to a couple of dealers I spoke with. If the spray on liner would chip or flake off and you do not know about it, you could have problems down the road. I have WERM flooring and love it and I do not need mats.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-06 12:04 PM (#83278 - in reply to #83277)

Expert

We have an older steel stock trailer with a steel floor and it is coated with some type of a material to cover the floor with,and we don't use any mats in it,it works fine.I would not put mats over a flooring like werm,and I wouldn't use the spray on liner,not in a horse trailer floor.I don't believe it is thick enough.The Rhino liner in bedliners of trucks would not be thick enough for the weight,motion and damage that a horse can do.That's just my opinion.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-05-06 8:35 PM (#83315 - in reply to #83266)

Veteran

We cleaned our aluminum floors with muriatic acid and then we coated the floors with the bed liner stuff we bought at walmart in gallon jugs, after it dried we put the mats back in. So far it is working out great and don't have to worry about the urine damaging the floor and getting pitted.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-06 10:02 PM (#83326 - in reply to #83315)

Expert

Originally written by classygirl98 on 2008-05-06 9:35 PM

We cleaned our aluminum floors with muriatic acid and then we coated the floors with the bed liner stuff we bought at walmart in gallon jugs, after it dried we put the mats back in. So far it is working out great and don't have to worry about the urine damaging the floor and getting pitted.

We did the same with our two trailers and have been very pleased with the results.

The various bed liner materials including Rhino will not offer the same cushioning affect that werm does. You will still need to use rubber mats over the liner material. The bed liner does reduce our mat pulling to once at the end of the season. The werm cost about $1k+ for a three horse, the do itself bed liner and acid is about $100.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-05-06 10:14 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-06 10:42 PM (#83331 - in reply to #83326)

Expert

Once a season is all I pull my mats in my aluminum trailer anyway.I use shavings to absorb urine plus I rinse in areas that have much evidence of urine after a trip,then,we empty the trailer at the end of the season of shavings and pull the mats,wash the floor,and put the mats back in after it has dried.

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 8:20 AM (#83350 - in reply to #83266)

Veteran

Just teach your horse not to pee in the trailer.

Just kidding, of course.  My gelding doesn't pee in the trailer but it's not b/c I taught him.  In fact I really wish he WOULD.  As it is, I have to stop along the way and walk him in the Dog Walk area at highway rest stops.  I get funny looks from people....................

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 8:22 AM (#83351 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

thanks for the information classygirl and gard.  i knew i couldn't be the first person to wonder if this would work.  with my first aluminum trailer, no one told me i needed to wash it out...i was under the impression it was a "care free" floor.  needless to say, after 10 years (of light use) it has tiny pits, some as large as a pencil eraser. since then, i have been very good about washing out my trailers, but hauling out those dang mats gets to be a major chore and tough on old backs.

will be going by my local wal-mart today to check out the lining materials.

thanks again!

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 8:47 AM (#83356 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

to sharon:  i have noticed that my geldings will pee in my 7'6" wide trailer (no mangers and extra wide stalls) whereas they don't pee in the other, narrower, trailer.  i don't know if it is because they can 'stretch' out more in the wider trailer and so, feel more comfortable peeing??? 

i keep saying i am going to try putting shavings back there, then drive around with my husband in the trailer to see how much the shavings fly around but he doesn't seem inclined to go along with that idea.  i know other people have said the shavings don't fly around, but we usually have all the windows down (on both sides), plus roof vents open to get maximum air flow during the hot months.  seems like all that air flow would be enough to make the shavings fly around. 

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 9:28 AM (#83366 - in reply to #83266)

Veteran

That's probably the case in THIS trailer, at least when the divider is shut and he's limited to just that stall.  However, he used to ride loose in the box stall of a stock trailer... 8' x 6'... so you'd think he'd have felt that was enough room.  He's only a little guy, just 14.2 and shortbacked.

I never find shavings stuck to my horse, and I drive with everything open, too.  If I remember, I do put a fly mask on him just in case.

Edited by Sharon 2008-05-07 9:29 AM
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-05-08 6:38 AM (#83474 - in reply to #83356)

Elite Veteran

I used to haul with shavings. Then my horse would develope a cough every time i took him out in the trailer. I removed the shavings and rinsed the trailer out. Haven't had a problem since with the coughing.
Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-09 2:05 PM (#83596 - in reply to #83266)

Get a pair of these to help you get hold of the rubber mats. Makes the job a LOT easier...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-09 5:11 PM (#83607 - in reply to #83266)

Expert

A suggestion given by another member of this forum, was to drill a small hole in the corners of the floor mat. Slip in the tip of a hay hook, and you have a perfect "T" handle of which to pull the mat. This idea has made my life a bit easier.

Gard

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-10 2:47 PM (#83663 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

I miss the old trailer floor mats made of strips of old tire, all 'woven together' w/ wire(though I suppose the wire eventually rusted through)-but they WERE heavy!

Am really posting just to say that you can use a 'standard' pair of vice grips to move mats, also....I have 4'X 6' X 1/2" rubber stall mats, and for a short, hefty, old lady, those suckers are HEAVY...but, w/ a pair of vice grips, I can 'hook on' and drag one when I need to! (my trailer mats are 'new-fangled' solid rubber, not all that thick, and unwieldy, but not all THAT heavy(14' x 5' stock combo trailer, so mats are 36" X 11'; I had to drill a hole through each outside back corner of each mat AND the trailer floor for a LARGE nail w/ washer to be pushed through, after the day I was pulling it, empty, back from Santa Fe and just HAPPENED to look in the rear view to see one of the mats "exit" under the rear trailer gate! Had to find a place to do a U-ey on that narrow little highway to go back and get it-- and it was a DARN lucky thing the road (NM 41) was at the time, VERY lightly-traveled--I don't think another driver would have appreciated that thing draping itself over his hood or windshield!!!!) One of those 'live and learn' moments!!

Anyway--just use the regulare vice grips(med. to lg.)that you may already own!

Cheers,

Margo in New Mexico(aka olehossgal

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 6:15 PM (#83669 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

mr trailer: where do you get those vice grips that are in the photo?   looks like they would work just right.  thanks.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-10 8:13 PM (#83674 - in reply to #83669)

Expert

Originally written by amysbean on 2008-05-10 7:15 PM

mr trailer: where do you get those vice grips that are in the photo?   looks like they would work just right.  thanks.

I'm not Mr trailer, but they are available in most hardware stores, big box stores etc. Harbor freight's cost is about one half that of Vice Grip prices. The handles take a lot more grip strength to hold onto than the "T" handle of a hay hook I described above.

Gard

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 11:19 PM (#83684 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

hey gard,  i may just have to look into that hay thing you are talking about. don't have one but surely my local feedstore would...maybe.  the closest thing i can think of would be the things my girls use to pull on their tall (english) riding boots.  we do keep a pair of those in the trailer.

seriously, the hay thing may be better as my hands/wrists don't have the grip strenghth they used to have and i can see that may be a problem with the vise grips.    thanks!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-11 9:01 AM (#83687 - in reply to #83266)

Expert

Your riding boot pulls are similar in concept to the hay hooks. However, I'm afraid you would ruin them trying to pull mats. The hay hooks have pointed ends which easily slip into a 1/4" predrilled hole. I have little strength on one side, and the hook has enabled me to pull the mats back into the trailer by myself; something I was unable to do before trying this solution.

BOL  Gard

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-14 9:15 AM (#83929 - in reply to #83266)

Regular

Werm is applied on a primed floor much the same way that cement is put down, with a trowl. It is mixed in a mixer to combine the different materials. and it is applied about 1/2 inch thick. If it is a cousin of bed liner it is a distant cousin. I will never own another trailer without Werm. I think it is cheep at twice the price.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)