'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mount generator on roof?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-21 9:44 PM
14 replies, 20662 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cptruelove
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-03-17 10:59 AM (#79731)
Subject: Mount generator on roof?

New User

We want to mount our Onan microlite on the roof, and Sundowner has quoted $2800 (they will only perform the work as a hay rack is required, and we don't have one). Has anyone ever mounted a generator on the roof without having to buy a hay rack? I know the generator needs to be on a bracket so it's not resting on the top of the trailer.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin'TK
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 10:35 PM (#79941 - in reply to #79731)
Subject: RE: Mount generator on roof?

Would do some thinking about putting it on top before you spend the money!  Yes, it is out of the way and not as much noise, but try and get that thing serviced with in mounted on top!

Best place I have found is in the bottom of the rear tack and get someone to build a shelf a few inches above it!  Not really need, just looks better and cuts out some noise.

If you think you need it on top, call Durham Trailer Ranch in Weatherford, Texas they can handle it all and at a really good price!

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-20 3:02 AM (#79950 - in reply to #79731)

Veteran

RTK, we bought our recent lq trailer from Durham trailers. I was really pleased with the way they presented themselves and the deal we got. We traveled all the way from MO to Texas to buy this trailer.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-03-20 2:10 PM (#79980 - in reply to #79941)

Charter Member

Mounting it in the rear tack isn't an option for me. I have a 3 horse trailer, three saddle racks and have a saddle for every horse. Wouldn't have room for that bottom saddle if I took the rear tack option.

Do you (original poster) have mangers?

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-20 4:07 PM (#79991 - in reply to #79731)

Expert

Dang.  Ours is mounted in the rear corner tack, and has an air compressor sitting on top, and then there is still the 3 saddle racks with saddles. The generator fuel tank is in the manger storage area.  If the OP has a wide enough manger storage perhaps the genset could go there.  If roof mounted they put a fuel tank somewhere tho, so that space might be needed for the fuel tank if the OP has it put up top. 
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-21 8:11 AM (#80037 - in reply to #79731)

I  the same discussion with my dealer just a couple weeks ago. He said you have to have the hay rack. The roof isn't strong enough to hold anything without it. He said when I was going thru OK or where they make the racks to pick one up. They are expensive to ship because they are bulky.

Nancy

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-21 9:36 AM (#80041 - in reply to #79731)

Expert

I seen a 3 horse LQ, "Twister" brand trailer a couple weeks ago with a "Generac" generator mounted up on and in the hayrack area! I'm going to guess it was in the 5000-6000 watt range, never saw any data tag. It was a self contained unit (with the cabinet in the generac colors) like you would see at someones residence being used a a backup power unit. It was some good advertisement for Generac, because you couldn't miss it sitting there up high!! It had the remote start, fuel tank in the manger, etc. It was a new Twister trailer and a new F-350 CC dually pulling it, and this young lady was all smiles!!
Rockin'TK
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-24 11:35 PM (#80316 - in reply to #79731)

My Trails West is mounted low under the gooseneck and I went with LP unit this time, because the last one we had mounted on the hay rack of a Sooner was a gas unit and something in the carbs. was sticking and if we forgot to turn the gas off going to the unit and drove down the road, gas would over flow and run down the side of the trialer!  WHAT A MESS!

That is one great reason NOT to install the gen on top of the trailer!

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-03-25 7:45 AM (#80333 - in reply to #79731)

I have my Generac mounted up on my hayrack on my 07 Bloomer. I love it there!. It doesn't take up any extra room in my back tack or manger. We go to a few events every year where they park you EXACTLY 10 feet from your neighbor! And this is dry camping so if you want full power you need a generator.  I had the extension tube that went up my hayrack ladder and carried my generator fumes up above my trailer when I still had a trailer with the generator in the back tack. That helped tremendously since I had a problem with my CO2 sensors going off in my trailer and the trailer beside me that the fumes were blowing towards before I bought the extension tube. By having the generator on top, it solved that problem also........It never fails that some idiot with an old loud cheap generator is still close enough to drive you crazy since that is usually the one person who wants to run it all night.
knottynuff
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-25 12:53 PM (#80353 - in reply to #79731)

I just ordered a new trailer and went with the option of mounting the onan on the roof as well.  The trailer already had a hay rack, but actually the generator is being mounted behind it.  They are building a platform, covered box for it, putting a small fuel tank in the bottom of my one manger, having push botton start from within the LQ.  Also you fill the generator up at ground level.

Everything in total is $5000.  That includes the generator, all the wiring, fuel tank etc.

It is expensive but I thought well worth it.  I wouldnt think you would need the hay rack, just a ladder to get up to the top.  Even with that, you can buy those fold down steps to get up there.

BEAQF
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-19 10:58 AM (#82274 - in reply to #79731)

New User

I have  roof hay rack I'll sell you.  I just bought a used Sundowner and it has the hay rack and I will never use it.  Let it go for $1000 OBO
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-04-19 12:17 PM (#82279 - in reply to #80316)

Veteran

Originally written by Rockin'TK on 2008-03-24 11:35 PM

My Trails West is mounted low under the gooseneck and I went with LP unit this time, because the last one we had mounted on the hay rack of a Sooner was a gas unit and something in the carbs. was sticking and if we forgot to turn the gas off going to the unit and drove down the road, gas would over flow and run down the side of the trialer!  WHAT A MESS!

That is one great reason NOT to install the gen on top of the trailer!

Just curious on this....I would think this would be a dangerous area to have the generator due to potential fumes coming up in your bed area.....did you do something extra to prevent that? 

3 Willows Farm
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-04-21 6:45 AM (#82339 - in reply to #79731)

Regular

I have a Twister with the roof mounted Generac.  I love the generator up there.  Mine is mounted on a seperate platform from the hay rack.  It is very easy to service up there.  Remove the cover and easy access to change the oil, etc.  I can take some pics tonight if anyone would like to see how it is mounted.
cptruelove
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-04-21 5:26 PM (#82389 - in reply to #79941)

New User

I contacted Durham. Cost was $2300. Ouch. Instead of a full-blown hay rack, they'll do a "generator tray".  For another $500, I could get Sundowner to install a full-size hay rack and it would be warrantied. I found a guy in Waxahachie that will do all the labor for $400. Now we're talking!!
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-04-21 9:44 PM (#82400 - in reply to #79731)

Extreme Veteran

You will not regret putting the generator on the roof.  Service at Onan dealers is not a problem.  Putting a generator in the rear tack is not an option for us, our rear tack is not big enough now let alone a generator mounted there.  Heat from the generator being in the rear tack is not good either.  I have had that and will not go back.  Installing in the manger is a better option than the rear tack.  Neither of these is easier to service than installing it on the roof.  It all depends on installation for quality of service down the road.  Some LQ manufactures do crappy jobs in my opinion and it shows.  Some of these are big name folks as well.  I have had a couple dealers that did better work than LQ folks. 

Advice:  If it goes on the roof put a baffle underneath the generator for the generator to discharge the engine heat away from the cool air intake.  If not it can run too warm, which will cause the oil to foam, if your lucky you will set off the low oil alarm.  Some of the new onans do not have them now so it could just burn up the generator.  I have a large LQ now with 5.5 onan on top with the above problem until my Onan guy told me how to fix it.  Works like a champ now, after doing that we ran it at a show for 53 hrs straight run, OK heat on asphalt, in 100degree weather.  Lazy E parking lot gets HOT hot hot.  Cant remember if the 4.0 have the same type intake if they do you will need it.  I have one on another trailer outside I will try to look at it to see if you need it there too.  My small trailer doesnt have it but he generator is not inside a covered box, maybe that is why??  Anyway man Onan man said do it so we did and it worked.  Took him all of about 10 seconds to diagnose the problem.  Two others had already looked at it, one onan service shop too, go figure.  Both of them said I was running it too much??  Hell that is what I bought it for.  Also keep in mind the 4.0 run best at max RPM. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)