'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Check,double check!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-03 2:28 PM
21 replies, 5583 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-01 9:47 PM (#80925)
Subject: Check,double check!

Expert

Well I have to tell this knowing it will probably get some laughs,but,that's OK,I won't care and no harm done,so,I can laugh about it this time myself.

My husband and I went to pick up our stock trailer (the one I posted a thread about with the lights) at the location a few miles from our home where we keep the trailer.I backed up to the hitch,he hitched it up.I didn't look at it,but stayed behind the wheel.He even checked a tire and put some air in it,and I drove it back home.

When I pulled into the driveway,I pulled all the way up on our concrete pad that we park on in front of our garage prior to backing the trailer up in the yard to unhitch.Well,there is a slight drop off where the gravel has worn away,and when I stopped the truck,I saw the trailer behind me in the mirror jumping up/down like a Pogo stick!!! I said,"What in the world is going on??" He got out,and looked,and told me to pull up just a hair,which I did.I then observed him cranking on the hitch.When I asked what was wrong,he said that "apparently he didn't latch the collar on the hitch when he lowered it onto the hitch ball" and when I pulled up on the pad and the back wheels on the truck went over the dropoff,the trailer hitch bounced off the ball and the chains were holding it!!!

I almost broke out in a sweat,thinking about pulling it the 5 miles or so we'd come,and through a little stretch of hills,running about 40 because I was behind somebody driving slow.!!!

I guess the bottom line here is,and,I remembered this old rule a friend once told me (and I forgot it!) is: if somebody else hitches it up,you need to double check behind THEM.I'm extra careful when I hitch up,but,well,he was tired,and,you know how it is.We were just discussing this on the QuikCoupler thread,about using chains.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-04-01 9:58 PM (#80928 - in reply to #80925)
Subject: RE: Check,double check!

Elite Veteran

I'm glad you didn't get any damage and especially happy that neither you or anyone was hurt. A good reminder for us all. CRG, I sent you a PM too.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-04-01 10:04 PM (#80929 - in reply to #80925)

Elite Veteran

You both must have great self control, patience with each other. If it my wife and I we both would have been yelling and blaming each other. The hooker-uper for not securing the hitch, and the driver for going over the bump and making sure the hooker-uper did their job. Eventually we would have kissed and made up while doing horse chores. gotta love the horses!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-01 10:10 PM (#80930 - in reply to #80929)

Expert

Probably would have been the scene,but #1: I think we were both in shock,and #2: prior to hitching up the trailer,we'd stopped by my old homeplace to load up some limestone rocks from a big pile of discarded ones in the yard.The house was built in 1949 from Missouri limestone shipped in nearby on railcar,and we needed the leftovers to line a drainage ditch that is eroding away from all of the heavy rain we've been getting.SOOO- I think we were too worn out to say a whole lot in this case!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-04-01 10:42 PM (#80931 - in reply to #80925)

Extreme Veteran

Wholey Cow caca batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why my hubby don't touch my trailer. If I haul cattle I hook up myself, if he hauls he hooks up. We are both different and it can causea issues. I'm more the safety minded on the trailers, he's get "em to the market and get home, YIKES!!!!  Glad all was okay though

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 6:41 AM (#80938 - in reply to #80925)

Elite Veteran

That is scary.  Glad no harm was done.  I leave my keys tied with a kersheif to the steering wheel of the truck.  I can remember to check all that way.  [when I am away from home] 
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-04-02 8:46 AM (#80944 - in reply to #80925)

Extreme Veteran

That's why I don't accept much help in hooking up. It is nice when someone helps me line the trailer up with the ball because I can't see it, but other than that I'll finish it up. Same with saddling and when I had my buggy horse I didn't really want help harnessing her up. I appreciated the jesture but never felt comfortable if someone helped. I would always check and double check after they helped.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 8:47 AM (#80946 - in reply to #80938)

Expert

He is usually really good about those kinds of things,because,he had his own horse before we met,too.I guess he was just tired,and I forgot to check behind him (the rule I usually always remember!)

Once,we were in from a show and parked our GN out where we had our horses pasture boarded.It was late and we were tired,and without thinking,ONE of us (can't remember,I think it was him!) put the tailgate up on the truck.I looked back JUST IN TIME to see the GN coupler take the tailgate nearly off.That's a mistake you might make once,but,you usually won't be doing again either!

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-02 9:09 AM (#80947 - in reply to #80925)

Holy Moly, thank God you are ok. Sounds like you really dodged a bullet. Speaking of bullets, did you hear about Hillary dodging all those sniper bullets in Bosnia. Aren't you from Arkansas also? Somebody must be watching over all ya'll.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 10:54 AM (#80956 - in reply to #80947)

Expert

HA HA! Yeah,well,those two,WE don't claim! Lots of stuff the Clinton team told wasn't  necessarily so!(such as: "I didn't have S-- with that woman,"The Pres).Lots of us  were glad to get them out of here.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-04-02 2:09 PM (#80980 - in reply to #80925)

Veteran

I am seriously in the check and double check mode because I did the exact same thing, and I couldn't blame it on anyone but me! AND I had my horses in the trailer.

VERY Fortunately for me, I load the horses in the pasture and then pull up next to the house. 90% of the time, I stop in the driveway and run into the house to retrieve something I'd forgotten. This was one of those times. When I came back out of the house I briefly glanced at the coupling I saw that I'd forgotten to slide the collar back on and secure it with the pin.

- Gees I HOPE to never do that again and since then my daughter is always asking "Did you RE-check everything?" and I never get grumpy when she asks!

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 6:36 PM (#81001 - in reply to #80925)

Veteran

Wow!  That's scary.

We have a rule that at least one of us (it usually ends up being both of us), do a walkaround of the truck and trailer before we pull out.  We are at a boarding stable and I have seen people on several occasions drive out with open doors on their trailer.  The last one was a woman who pulled out onto the road with the ramp down.   

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 8:34 PM (#81008 - in reply to #81001)

Expert

DANG! My husband used to ride with a bunch of older men,and one of them (he's gone,now) did a couple of scary things.He was on a ride and they got to looking at his trailer hitch,and he didn't have a nut on the bottom of the hitch ball! Another time,he was driving back and they were following,and he didn't latch the back doors on the trailer,and they came flying open,his old horse,Danny,just standing in there looking back at everybody like he was having the time of his life!

"Buell" was his name,and,he reminded me all the world of Richard Farnsworth,the actor,who starred in "Comes a Horseman."

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-04-02 11:02 PM (#81014 - in reply to #81008)

Expert

gladm that no one was hurt and you had your chains on they do work to save  the trailer 
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 5:18 AM (#81017 - in reply to #80947)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2008-04-02 10:09 AM

Holy Moly, thank God you are ok. Sounds like you really dodged a bullet. Speaking of bullets, did you hear about Hillary dodging all those sniper bullets in Bosnia. Aren't you from Arkansas also? Somebody must be watching over all ya'll.

ingramacres
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-03 6:53 AM (#81021 - in reply to #80925)

Yes that was a close call....

We had a similiar thing happen to us but it was a little worse.

My husband and I had a 4 horse straight load trailer that was about 32 foot long. Older model trailer. We had hooked up and loaded our 2 horses up and then when by his uncles house to pick up his cousins 2 horses. These are real hilly areas due to the mountains in Alabama. When we left from his uncles house this is where the delima began.

We turned to pull onto the interstate. We then heard a loud bang. We looked back and did not see anything out of place so we figured we ran over the curb. So we went on down to the next exit to get gas. Which was about 3 miles on the interstate.

When we pulled up to the gas station (which was up hill) we heard the noise again and then we heard a loud scraping noise. We looked back and our trailer was at the back of the bed!

We liked to have died! We had this trailer loaded down with 4 large quarter horses and it had been riding off the ball all the way down the interstate!!

Needless to say, it was not long before we purchased a new trailer. That hitch was very difficult to lock being that it was an older trailer (1970). Everytime after that we were so scared that it would pop off the ball again.

olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-04-03 12:46 PM (#81053 - in reply to #80925)

A couple years ago, when we had our 2H bumperpull, I let a friend borrow it. She had about a 2 hour round trip to drop off a horse and return and had forgotten to put the pin on the hitch (she was hooking it up to her pickup).

When she got back to her place, she noticed the trailer hitch had worked out almost to the edge of her bumper hitch. One good bump and she would have been dragging my trailer along I-5, probably doing at least 55 mph, attached only by the chains!

I don't lend my trailer out now unless I am there to either pull it or double check everything, besides the fact that I have a GN now and most of my friends have bumper pull hitches.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 1:46 PM (#81055 - in reply to #81017)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-04-03 5:18 AM

Being from Arkansas,I'll ask,your point,HW?

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-04-03 1:49 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 2:03 PM (#81058 - in reply to #81055)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-04-03 2:46 PM

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-04-03 5:18 AM

Being from Arkansas,I'll ask,your point,HW? 

I guess you will have to use your Imagination

Edited by HWBar 2008-04-03 2:05 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 2:11 PM (#81059 - in reply to #81058)

Expert

Not really up to it,but,KY-AR,not that much difference.That's about as far as I'll imagine.You guys aren't into being up front much,are you?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 2:16 PM (#81060 - in reply to #81021)

Expert

Originally written by ingramacres on 2008-04-03 6:53 AM

When we pulled up to the gas station (which was up hill) we heard the noise again and then we heard a loud scraping noise. We looked back and our trailer was at the back of the bed!

We liked to have died! We had this trailer loaded down with 4 large quarter horses and it had been riding off the ball all the way down the interstate!!

Needless to say, it was not long before we purchased a new trailer. That hitch was very difficult to lock being that it was an older trailer (1970). Everytime after that we were so scared that it would pop off the ball again.

I guess there is something to the fact that they can steal a GN trailer and drop the coupler in a tire then pull it around.I never could get that image in my head,on making turns,ect,how it would "right" itself as when it is riding on the ball,but,the weight of that thing was what held it in your truck bed,obviously! Geeze!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 2:28 PM (#81062 - in reply to #81053)

Expert

Originally written by olabola! on 2008-04-03 12:46 PM

A couple years ago, when we had our 2H bumperpull, I let a friend borrow it. She had about a 2 hour round trip to drop off a horse and return and had forgotten to put the pin on the hitch (she was hooking it up to her pickup). When she got back to her place, she noticed the trailer hitch had worked out almost to the edge of her bumper hitch. One good bump and she would have been dragging my trailer along I-5, probably doing at least 55 mph, attached only by the chains! I don't lend my trailer out now unless I am there to either pull it or double check everything, besides the fact that I have a GN now and most of my friends have bumper pull hitches.

My husband was telling the trailer story to a guy at work.He said,"I got one for you" and told this: they were coming back from "someplace up north" as we say,pulling a long utility trailer,typically called a 'car hauler' BP hitch.They were running about 70 mph,and at some point,noticed the trailer was not BACK THERE any longer.They turned around and were headed back,someone stopped them,told them that they were just now able to catch up with them to tell them it had come off.They found it,had run down a ditchbank,and started back up,and gotten stuck.Imagine that thing,a 70mph unguided missile meeting you on the road? I guess (obviously) they didn't have chains hooked up.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)