'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Head shaking syndrome!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-03 11:32 PM
14 replies, 10225 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-23 12:07 AM (#80161)
Subject: Head shaking syndrome!

Extreme Veteran

I had not heard of this until my horse began fussing with his mouth and head while I ride.  It started last fall and has gotten a little worse each time, until today when it was outright dangerous to ride.  I sat down and realized it started last fall after he had all his shots.  I had his teeth floated last week, plus a flu and rhino vaccination, not thinking there would be a problem.  Now after reading about the head shaking issues, it sure sounds like my boy is having allergic reactions to the vaccines.  His nose is insanely itchy.  He acts like a bug has flown up his nose every 30 seconds, and he tries to itch his nose on everything we pass, even dragging his nose through the bushes.  Last week he drug his nose through the snow we were riding in.  He also has started to strike at his nose while we're riding - not fun.  He will even do it while we're trotting or cantering (stop to itch his nose on his leg or drag it across the ground)   Today when I put him away he continued these behaviours while I was leading him to the pasture, acting like a bee landed on his nose and striking at his face, and then did it when I put him in his stall too, while eating his grain. 

I have never seen him this way and am freaked out by it.  I'm calling local vets to find out who is most experienced with this and getting them out asap!   I hope it is allergies and can be treated.  I ordered a leather fringed nose band to try and may also try a fly net over his nose while riding.  It is so sad to see this beautiful horse behaving like he has lost his mind. Does anybody out there have any similar experiences they can share?  I am so worried about my horse. He just started this last fall. 

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-03-23 12:10 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-03-23 7:46 AM (#80164 - in reply to #80161)
Subject: RE: Head shaking syndrome!

Expert

Any updates?
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-23 4:29 PM (#80206 - in reply to #80164)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I went and checked on him last night and this morning, and he is showing no symptoms.  I will work him in the roundpen this afternoon and see if after work the symptoms show up.  I will try the mesh nosenet I made and see if that helps if he begins to show symptoms today after excercise.  I have read a lot about this now; it is often aggravated by excercise and light.  Monday morning I will start calling all the local vets to see who has the most experience with this.  I am happy his symptoms subside when it's cool, no excercise and no sunshine though because it will hopefully make the diagnosis easier.  I read the following article and noted the paragraph about the rhino vaccine...  I am so bummed about this.  I don't think I'll get my horse vaccinated for a while, if ever.  He seems hyper-sensitive to it.   He does have a tendency to be OC but this does not seem to be the same - he is obviously uncomfortable when he does it.

Headshaking is a mysterious problem in horses.  Recent research suggests that it can be caused by a variety of factors:  it can be behavioral or biological (caused by physical discomfort arising from tack, teeth or ear problems, allergies, nerve stimulation, sensitivity to light, and a variety of other possible causes). 

The symptoms of headshaking are snorting, sneezing, and pronounced shaking of the head characterized by a side-to-side or vertical "snatching" motion, as though the horse had an insect up its nose.  Headshaking horses will often try to scratch their noses on their legs, on posts, or on the ground.  Headshaking tends to occur when horses are stressed by exercise or other factors.  Most important, it tends to be seasonal, triggered in the spring or early summer, and tends to subside in winter.

Scientists posit that headshaking may be triggered by strong light (photic headshaking), which stimulates the fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, in the horse's face and causes uncontrollable itching, pain, and/or sneeziness.  (Interestingly, this phenomenon affects as many as 25% of humans as well, and is called the photic sneeze or "ACHOU syndrome.")  Photic sneezing is hereditary in humans and may also be in horses.  Some humans also suffer from an irritation of the trigeminal nerve called trigeminal neuralgia (TgN) that can cause facial pain and muscle paralysis.  The genesis of TgN, which primarily affects women over 50, is still being investigated by neurologists; these studies may indirectly help us understand photic headshaking in horses.

Recent studies suggest, but do not prove, that headshaking may possibly be triggered by rhinopneumonitis vaccinations, which may activate the herpes virus (EHV-1, EHV-4) which lies dormant in the horse's trigeminal nerve.  This process is roughly analogous to the onset of shingles in humans. 

Headshaking in horses is poorly understood, and just beginning to be systematically researched.  It may have multiple causes rather than a single cause.  We do know that horses tend to begin to headshake at maturity.  Some horses headshake all the time, while others headshake only when under saddle or in strenuous exercise.  Sometimes headshaking resolves spontaneously. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-23 5:02 PM (#80208 - in reply to #80161)

Expert

I'm sure your vets looked into his inner ears for fluid buildup?  I've seen horses get like this when sweat rolled into the ears during workouts.  Simple cure to that problem was cotton rolled-up and packed in the ears during riding and removed after the post workout rinse off.

Good luck with whatever buggs your gelding.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-03-23 8:10 PM (#80225 - in reply to #80161)

possible sinus infection?
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-24 12:03 AM (#80238 - in reply to #80225)

Extreme Veteran

Well now, after I roundpenned the horse for 5 minutes the symptoms began to appear, getting worse and worse.  When he got the the point of dragging his face along the roundpen panels, banging his nose into them (yikes!!)  I stopped him and put the mesh nose cover on, making sure it was snug around his nose and mouth.  Then I got him going again around the roundpen.  You won't believe this but he showed no symptoms at all... NONE.  I was shocked.  No head shaking, no bobbing or dragging his nose on the ground or fence and no striking.  Can you believe that?   I had a couple friends with me that could not believe the instant change.   It was like night and day. I had read about this happening and people saying it was like a switch got turned off, and that is exactly what happened.  It is the contact with the nose that stops the itching he feels.  Similar to if you have to sneeze and pinch your nose it stops the feeling. I will try it again tomorrow and the next day I'll try to ride in the roundpen with the mesh nose net on.  I am still calling the vet but in the meantime, this is really hopeful. I ride endurance and planned to do 50 miles every ride this year... hard to do with this kind of issue.  I can't ride endurance with antihistamines in him , or any other type of meds.

I will let you know what the vet's diagnosis is and what all the tests reveal.  I'll have a full physical done, including ears, eyes, nose, throat, bloodwork, etc. 

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-03-24 2:59 PM (#80266 - in reply to #80161)

Extreme Veteran

Interesting! I wonder if there's an accupressure point on the nose that's pressed. Keep us posted.
cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-24 10:48 PM (#80312 - in reply to #80161)

Regular

I have put up with a head shaker for years, but finally solved the problem......my 15yr old paint mare shook her head, and rubbed head/nose on anything staitionery, when riding, or tied up with halter on. Had vet check teeth, ears, sinuses, etc. nothin'. Finally after reading an article in Western Horseman about Trig.Nerve problems, I switched her from a browband headstall to a one-eared. What a difference!! That browband on the halter and headstall must have irritated that nerve just enough to drive her crazy!! She still may shake once in awhile, but nothing like before, which was usually 30-40 times during a 2 hour ride! Maybe try a noseband with your headstall when riding, that may put just enough pressure on the irritated area to help. Also, maybe try consulting a Equine Massage Therapist or accupuncturist and see what they think!! Good luck!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-24 11:27 PM (#80315 - in reply to #80312)

Extreme Veteran

That's good advice about the bridle.  His bridle has a browband and a noseband.  The browband is kind of snug now that I think about it.  But, he does it in the roundpen when he gets warmed up, with nothing on his head.  I take him to the vet tomorrow to start the process of elimination and diagnosis, if one is ever found.  They will check his eyes, ears, nose, throat, do bloodwork, etc... the whole enchilada.  I hope it is something obvious but I fear it will be unkown and the treatment will be trial and error at best.  I worked him 1/2 hour today and the nosenet did not work as well when he got warmed up.  I tried it yesterday for a few minutes and it was good but with longer work it did not do as well.  I will ask the vet about accupunture for sure.  I'll report back once the vet exam has been done.  This is so worrisome.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-25 9:31 AM (#80344 - in reply to #80161)

Elite Veteran

I don't think this is the problem in your case, but friends of mine had a TW that started shaking his head.  They had the vet out, changed bridles, etc until they finally realized he didn't like his forelock touching his ears.  They shaved it all off and no head shaking!  He's been fine for the past year just kinda looks funny without a forelock.
cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-03-25 11:01 AM (#80346 - in reply to #80161)

Our horse did the same. It ended up the his nose and face were really sensitive. So we would put vaseline on the inside of his nostriles and on his nose and face. Never had a bit of trouble after that.

Hope this helps.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-03-25 1:48 PM (#80355 - in reply to #80161)

Extreme Veteran

I love hearing all these stories....I thought I was the only one with 'quirky' horses. Now I know different.
Buckskinlover
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-25 5:07 PM (#80362 - in reply to #80161)

Regular

I have a head shaking gelding. While I tried everything to  figure out what his problem was. Tried changing all my tack, took him to a chiropractor many times, had his teeth done by dentist, had him scoped by the Vet, had him tested for allergies(he has a ton and is now on the serum shots) that didn't help either. I believe the rhino/flu shot is what did this to my gelding as well  But my guy is mostly set off into his head shaking if I ride him in a group. I can ride him alone and only have a few "ticks" as they are called. He will sometimes do it in the pasture when he gets excited. But it mostly when I ride him in a group so I just don't ride him in a group. This is painful for horses and well aggravating to them as well. So I bought another horse for trail rides and just ride this guy at home alone every now and then.  There is a Yahoo Group just for headshaking horses. These people are a great help and wealth of info on different things to try etc

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/headshakers/

Hope this helps. Sorry you have a head shaker. Its very heart breaking :(

cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-30 1:46 PM (#80701 - in reply to #80161)

Regular

Hey! Just found another great article on head shaking in a 2004 issue of Equus (June) If you go to their website you might be able to find it. They talk about photic head shaking which occurs in light to bright light more often, there is also seasonal head shaking. it all pretty much boils down to the trigeminal nerve irritaion, and sending faulty nerve messages. This article also tells you of Rx treatments with pretty good results, and a trigeminal nerve block if medicine doesn't work. Check with your vet and see what they say. If you can't find this article, PM me and I will copy and send it to you. Good luck!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-04-03 11:32 PM (#81107 - in reply to #80701)

Extreme Veteran

I received all the items I wanted to try on my horse. First came the nylon fringed browband, rigged to be a noseband. I folded the fringe in half so it was about 5" long, glued it with fabric glue and put a few stitches in each to hold, then attached it to my noseband. It worked great, except when the horse tossed his head (not a headshaking thing, but an arab thing) he got the fringe near his eyes which freaked him out. But he learned to keep his head down a bit and showed no symptoms with the fringed noseband. Next came the nosenet. That was a success as well, but I noticed the horse cleared his nose constantly with the nosenet on. He did nothing like that with the fringed noseband. I also have an alternate nosenet but did not try it out feeling we had tested 2 and got positive results with 2 so called it a night. I willl also make sure I have some vaseline with me (worked for another poster) and we have a see through riding fly mesh mask. My horse pack will be full of emergency headshaking supplies but at least we will be riding. I will try both out on the trails this weekend. Hoping for the best!

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-04-03 11:33 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)