'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need info on Fort Robinson

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-21 5:39 AM
5 replies, 3531 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-12 2:25 PM (#79378)
Subject: Need info on Fort Robinson

Regular

Would any of you who have ridden at Ft Robinson be so kind as to give me some info in the trails there?  We have already made up our minds to stay there on the way from TN to the Black Hills this summer, but we're trying to decide how many days to spend there.  We all have gaited horses, so are wondering how many days of riding there is.  Also would like to know other "must see" things to do in the area and good places to eat.  Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-03-12 7:12 PM (#79390 - in reply to #79378)
Subject: RE: Need info on Fort Robinson

Veteran

We stayed there last year for 3 days and really enjoyed it. Wish we would have been able to stay a few more days. There is quite a bit of riding there but no marked trails that we saw. You just ride out across the pastures up to the buttes and all kinds of trails there. The views were awesome and saw tons of wildlife. Trails were not difficult but some steep climbs so need your horses in shape. Not much water either but there is a windmill with a stock tank. Just down tthe road probably 5 or 6 miles is a primitive campground with several trails there.

They have several neat buildings you can tour and the museum is really good. There is a furtrader museum at Chadron which is about 25 miles away but we didn't get to go. Chadron also has a superwalmart.

There is a good restuarant at Fort Robinson and the meals very reasonable. Campgrounds are nice and very clean and stalls are great too.

We went 1st week of June but don't think I'd go any later in the Summer as it does get hot there. The day we left it was supposed to get over 100. Not much shade anywhere and like I said before water is scarce on the trails.

I'll try to post some pictures. Can someone tell me how to put the pictures in the message instead of as an attachment?

Edited by pooperscooper 2008-03-12 7:18 PM
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 6:23 AM (#79409 - in reply to #79378)

Regular

Thanks,  we are planning 4 or 5 days there.  Hope that will be enough.  The pictures were great.  We are history buffs, and I'm thinking this will be an interesting place to explore.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-14 10:23 PM (#79605 - in reply to #79378)

Expert

Have been through there on a car trip and the history was amazing, and the feeling of being in the plains Indian era made me so wish I was there to ride.  Let us know how it goes, it was quiet and lovely when we were there.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-03-17 10:17 PM (#79766 - in reply to #79605)

Veteran

We spent a week there a couple years ago. Traveled from Ohio. Had a great time. The horse barn at the fort is really nice. However you camp a long ways from the barn so you must truck your equipment up to the barn unless you have a trailer to keep there. But we did not find that a problem at all. There is plenty of parking right outside the barns and you can easily carry your tack into your stall. Wash hoses/water right there. Some of our group rented an extra stall and kept their tack in the stall with a padlock. We had no problems but that would be up to you assuming there are empty stalls. Speaking of that, when we were there we rode 4 days and never passed another group on the trails! There is a lot of riding around the fort on the bluffs to the east and west. Suggest you get a copy of the USDA Nebraska National Forest/Oglala National Grassland map available from the Pine Ridge Ranger District. You should be able to locate these maps on the internet. They show all the horse trails in the Fort and some other places to ride in the area and all the area attractions etc. As you may want to drive to see some of the sites, this map has the level of detail you want. As was mentioned in another post most of the riding is out in the open, there was a major fire there several years ago and the pine forest was pretty much wiped out. What you are riding in is bluffs, cliffs, canyon and grassland and it does get hot there in the summer months. If you are riding gaited and really ride several hours a day you can cover most of the trails in 3-4 days within FR. One thing you might see there that you wont see many places are bighorn sheep. We saw both Rams and ewes with calves...thats pretty fantastic..had a ewe with a calf within 15 feet of us..for about 5 seconds. These are wild animals. There is also a large buffalo herd on the fort property but you cant ride inside the pastures where they keep them..thats probably a good thing. The fort has a lot of tourist things going on, trail rides, wagon rides etc and also puts on a small rodeo a couple nights a week. Just the local employees and the summer help but its really fun. They had some really good cowboys when we were there and they rode a couple of bucking horses that were really impressive (both horse and riders) and the young kids will really like the rodeo. One of the posts mentioned the fur traders museum..I would suggest you take a couple of hours to visit. I went down by myself and they have a really nice exhibit of the fur trade era ...guns, clothing, Indian artifacts..its really excellent and as I recall the entry price was a donation. All in all, I would recomend FR as a short stop to either the Black Hills or riding up in Wyoming. We enjoyed it. PS, we also trailered over to the Pine Ridge National Recreation Area and rode from the Roberts trailhead. If you get the map, its easy to find. You can camp there buts its primitive (we like that)! As I recall there is no potable water at Roberts but there is a tank for the horses.

Edited by martyg 2008-03-18 5:08 PM
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-21 5:39 AM (#80029 - in reply to #79378)
Subject: Need info on Fort Robinson

Regular

Thanks everyone! We have made reservations for 5 days in late June. There must be a new camping area there called the "Mare Barn" area. It is not shown on the website. When I made reservations, they said it had water, electric and sewer hookups. The the barn is supposed to be located in this camp. We're very exited to ride here and do all the neat stuff. We will be sure to go to the Fur Trader's Museum. Then, it's on to Broken Arrow Campground in Custer SD for 2 week. Yahoo!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)