'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer accident from last week.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-22 7:35 PM
22 replies, 9125 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-04 8:37 AM (#70454)
Subject: Horse trailer accident from last week.

Extreme Veteran

I'm sure at least a few of you have heard of the last horse trailer accident involving too many horses crambed into a double decker cattle trailer.
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10723
Can you imagine 59 mostly draft horses, even a young draft horse is a big critter, crammed into a double decker???
I was like a lot of you and thought they'd made transporting horses in double decker trailers illegal. Apparently it is only illegal to ship them to slaughter in the double deckers. Does that make any sense at all? How did this happen? Well, the rodeo industry put a lot of money into politicians hands so they wouldn't have to hire a second truck and trailer for their bucking horses. They like to use the double deckers with the bucking bulls in the bottom and the horses on top, so they made sure they wouldn't have to change that. However, by doing so, it seems we have at a minimum 1 or 2 of these accidents every year. Though so far, most have not involved rodeo stock, I do know some have, just not recently that I've heard of. And if you think the slaughter horses aren't being transported this way, you are pretty niave. The only thing they do should they be stopped or in an accident is lie about where they are headed. Certainly explains why they never wreck on a highway that would be a direct/faster/safer way to their destination. Hard to avoid scales and inspections that way. The owner of these horses had to fax the information for the horses (how much was legit, we'll never know) as the driver did not have copies of all the required paperwork on him at the time of the accident.
BTW there are a handful of east coast states that have made transporting any horse, for any reason in a double decker illegal. After this accident, Illinois is considering it as well, but we shall see.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-05 10:34 PM (#70529 - in reply to #70454)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer accident from last week.

Extreme Veteran

At the risk of talking to myself, it looks like the surviving horses are going to have a good chance at a better life after the accident.

They are to be adopted out through HARPS and they are swamped with applications.

http://www.harpsonline.org/index.php?src=news&refno=13&category=New...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-05 10:36 PM (#70531 - in reply to #70529)

Expert

Latest Horse Illustrated has a feature on a mare that had a nice foal after the accident in Missouri recently.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-10 8:37 AM (#70827 - in reply to #70454)

Extreme Veteran

Good news for the remaining horses. They are to be adopted out through HARPS and they are swamped with applications.

http://www.harpsonline.org/index.php?src=news&refno=13&category=New...
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 1:10 PM (#70839 - in reply to #70454)

Expert

If the horses were bought legally at an auction, were in good health (as the report said), why are they being adopted out instead of being returned to the legal owners?  Or I should say sold by the insurance company since I guess a claim was paid on them.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 4:07 PM (#70856 - in reply to #70454)

Maybe this is a new way to get an odd lot of horses disposed of........
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 4:46 PM (#70859 - in reply to #70856)

Expert

I'd think the insurance company would put them up for sale to try to make up for some of the loss.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 6:49 PM (#70869 - in reply to #70454)

Terri    You make some good points.....Now if peple were so wanting these horses, how did they come to get loaded onto a dbl decker livestock trailer and shipped to an auction many, many miles away?

And if the flood of apps is just an emotional response, what is going to happen to these horses 2 or 3 years down the line?  When the emotional response wears off and the reality of feeding, shoeing and maintaining a draft horse, not a riding horse, altho draft horses can be ridden but you need a draft horse sized saddle........

Edited by rose 2007-11-10 7:16 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 7:39 PM (#70871 - in reply to #70869)

Expert

Feed alone will kill a budget.  Of course some may decide to pay for feed instead of gas.  I've thought of finding a cart and someone to train my horses to pull so I can drive the kids to school.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-11 8:51 AM (#70880 - in reply to #70454)

Extreme Veteran

Why adopted out? Mostly as to pay for their board, feed, current vet bills, and arrange to haul them to another auction at this point would cost the insurance company more than they would get for these horses at an auction. Especially the ones that were extremely banged up and that they are now quarantined due to an outbreak of strangles. Not sure if they contracted it at the last auction or if it came from another source. Either way, they aren't going anywhere soon. However, donated to the rescue, they will likely get a nice tax right off with no further expense. Not to mention better press than sending them to a slaughter auction would.

Edited to add. This is an extremely experienced rescue, with the flood of adopters, they will be able to pick and choose the best qualified to take in a draft baby.

Edited by Yvette 2007-11-11 9:05 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-11 11:09 AM (#70883 - in reply to #70880)

Expert

Not to mention better press than sending them to a slaughter auction would.

Now how would they get bad press for that.  The US slaughter houses are closed and if they are sent out of country that is beyond the insurance companies control.  They were bound for another auction anyway "to be sold to the amish for work animals"  They are still suitable for that.  Since they were in the ins companies posession they are still responsible for the feed and board up to this point. 

Oh well.  I guess as long as they are taken care of it doens't really matter.

GinaGina
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-11 7:50 PM (#70907 - in reply to #70454)

We know the folks that took in all the surviving horses in IL - and yes, the insurance company (that provides liability coverage on the truck) bought for all the horses, given the truck driver hauling the horses caused the accident.

The previous posters are all right - the horses are all being adopted out a) b/c its good press for the insurance company and b) it would cost more to haul them to auction.

I am a claims manager for a national auto insurer and would have made the same call, to adopt them out.

Plus this is a HUGE story in North Chicagoland and SE Wisconsin, all the horse folks there are still talking about it, I am sure it will take no time at all to adopt them out.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-12 9:28 PM (#71020 - in reply to #70454)

Well d--n,  I have a beautiful black AQHA reg. gelding 01 model, trail ridden, shown in walk trot, high lined, goes english or western, and I CANNOT get him sold. 

The story behind how he came here is a friend of mine had him and HATED him and he HATED her;  so I bought him before one of them killed the other.  That was 2 and 1/2 years ago.  Since he has been here, he has been gelded (that happened immediately) and handled daily.  Now that he is a gentle, nice, trained horse, no one wants him.  Guess I will just have to EAT him.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-16 6:56 AM (#71328 - in reply to #70454)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, so many people wanna eat horses here.  Well, you can always go uup to Montreal.

This is not the first time horses involved in an accident like this have been adopted out after the insurance company paid a claim. I believe the horses involved in the MO accident last year were adopted out as well. And it is certainly better press than sending the horses down the road.

Well Rose you could try adopting him out for $600 to $800 and I'll bet someone will snatch him up then.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-16 11:21 AM (#71345 - in reply to #70454)

Hey Yvette....really I won't eat him but I was expecting more response....that was written in total frustration over the current horse market....suppose however that was just more preaching to the choir.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-11-17 12:22 PM (#71387 - in reply to #71345)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2007-11-16 11:21 AM Hey Yvette....really I won't eat him but I was expecting more response....that was written in total frustration over the current horse market....suppose however that was just more preaching to the choir.
Yeah, the market is not there for average trail horses. BTW I love average trail horses. The high end, and I mean HIGH end, show market doesn't seem effected by the inflation problems us more average types are having. However, put a great video on you tube of you riding the horse backwards, sideways and such, you might just up your average horse to an above average horse. And look, ya don't even have to dress up to do it. LOL http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jemq7dw3eBY Me, I get too attached and couldn't sell a horse to save my life. Though with gas prices and everything on a serious climb, I may have to save my finances.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-18 6:11 AM (#71412 - in reply to #70454)

Veteran

Yvette - I love crappy for-sale videos.  Thanks for starting my day with a good chuckle.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-20 9:08 PM (#80010 - in reply to #70454)

Expert

And legislation SLOWLY grinds thru Illinois...

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=11522

The sponsor of a proposed Illinois measure designed to enhance horse transport safety has tabled a controversial amendment that equine advocates denounced as unacceptable.

"We're going to go back to the original bill," said Ill. Rep. JoAnn Osmond, sponsor of HB4162.

HB4162 would revise Illinois' Humane Care for Animals Act to prohibit the transport of horses in trailers of two or more levels. Osmond introduced the bill last November in response to a rollover accident involving a truck hauling 59 horses in a double-decker trailer.

But while in committee, an amendment that would allow horse transport in double-deck trailers specifically designed to haul horses was attached to the bill. This move raised the ire of horse welfare advocates.

"The Farm Bureau wanted wording relative to trailers made specifically for horses if those trailers ever became available," said Grassroots Coordinator for the Animal Welfare Institute Gail Vacca. "We all agree that the amendment is unacceptable and that nobody will support it if the amendment is in the bill. It's impossible to construct a double-decker humane for horses."

Osmond said the controversial amendment now resides in the Illinois House Rules Committee.

"And it will stay there until I take it out," Osmond said.

That means the HB4162 could come up for a vote minus the controversial amendment.

Osmond said it could take a month for the bill to reach the Illinois House floor. In the meantime, she said she will continue to talk with the Farm Bureau about alternate language.

"But if we can't get the language right," Osmond said, "we'll run with the bill without it."

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-22 12:23 PM (#80131 - in reply to #70454)

Extreme Veteran

"Certainly explains why they never wreck on a highway that would be a direct/faster/safer way to their destination. Hard to avoid scales and inspections that way"

I'm sorry, I'm sick and have read this many times and still don't understand what you are saying here with what I have bolded in your statement. It maybe the medicine in my head not letting me understand right now, could you explain this part to me.......

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-22 3:39 PM (#80143 - in reply to #80131)

Expert

I think she means they chose other,more treacherous routes to avoid scales and inspections on the main roads that would be better to travel.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-03-22 4:36 PM (#80145 - in reply to #80131)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2008-03-22 12:23 PM

"Certainly explains why they never wreck on a highway that would be a direct/faster/safer way to their destination. Hard to avoid scales and inspections that way"

I'm sorry, I'm sick and have read this many times and still don't understand what you are saying here with what I have bolded in your statement. It maybe the medicine in my head not letting me understand right now, could you explain this part to me.......

I guess I should have worded it interstate or major highway, as many of these wrecks do happen on technically highways. There is a big difference between most state highways and major interstates. There are fewer to no scales (also known as weigh stations or truck inspection stations) on state highways. For where this guy was coming from and going to there were interstates that would have been a better choice. However it's very apparent these people did not want to have to stop at scales. I've yet to see a double decker filled with horses on an interstate when traveling. Not that I would want to, but hey if it's what they are doing is legal why would they all avoid the interstates?

By staying off the larger interstates these drivers can avoid the scales, where the driver would have to show where the horses originated from and their destination. Not to mention have the necessary paperwork (health certificates and coggins) for each and every horse. Also his log showing hours/miles driven etc. Besides the DOT (Department of Transportation) regulations concerning the hours the driver can drive without breaks, there are also regulations that govern how long the horses can be transported without water and feed breaks. Coggins they would likely have if the horses came from an auction, but I doubt these guys want to spend the money on nearly 60 health certificates from a veterinarian for horses they intend on selling for slaughter. Not to mention the cost of finding feed lots to stop at to feed and water the horses would add another expense. As with everything in the world it's all about the money.

As for the destination, the driver could still lie about what the horses ultimate fate was, but would have to have health certificates and coggins on him of all the animals on the trailer. The owner of these particular horses had to fax the coggins and such to the authorities as the driver had none of the appropriate paperwork on him, which makes it very apparent he was avoiding scales intentionally. I'm pretty sure one of the fines he received was not having the appropriate paperwork for the animals.

Hope this helps, but at least now I know who gave me this cold.

edited to correct a redundancy.

Edited by Yvette 2008-03-22 4:44 PM
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-03-22 4:39 PM (#80146 - in reply to #80143)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-03-22 3:39 PM

I think she means they chose other,more treacherous routes to avoid scales and inspections on the main roads that would be better to travel.

Yeah, that's it in a much more concise answer.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-22 7:35 PM (#80154 - in reply to #70454)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you to both for that clarification, yes, it was the medication I'm taking for my flu......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)