'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
BP trailer swaying

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-14 8:49 AM
5 replies, 3664 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

7skeeter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-12 8:16 AM (#79332)
Subject: BP trailer swaying

I have hauled a GN for years and have recently downsized. The new BP trailer seems to sway alot and almost feel out of control when you get to about 50-55 mph. I am hauling with a 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 short bed 4 door truck so I definately have enough truck for the trailer. I have checked tire pressure in the truck and made sure all tires were filled to proper pressure. Pressure in trailer tires also checked. The folks I bought the trailer from gave me the Reese hitch with the weight distribution bars that they used with it but the trailer still seems to sway alot. I just bought a hitch with a 5" drop last night as the hitch they gave me seemed to really set the nose up and definately needed to be dropped. My truck sat up higher than theirs. Any ideas what else to try or if the lower dropped hitch is the answer. Haven't gotten to give it a test run yet.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-12 8:27 AM (#79334 - in reply to #79332)
Subject: RE: BP trailer swaying

Expert

Do you have the proper tongue weight? Is the trailer setting level or slightly nose high when hitched? Is your truck squatting under load? A BP will load the back of a truck more than a GN will.

The axles of a BH trailer sit further forward under the frame than those of a GN, so its possible to unload the hitch weight by placing a horse in the rear most stall. This will make a trailer sway.

Gard

7skeeter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-12 8:40 AM (#79340 - in reply to #79332)

The trailer is nosed high when hooked up with the current hitch. I will see how it sits with the 5" drop hitch to see if it sits more level. I have proper tongue weight. The trailer doesn't squat the truck at all.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-03-12 2:08 PM (#79375 - in reply to #79340)

Expert

Originally written by 7skeeter on 2008-03-12 9:40 AM

The trailer is nosed high when hooked up with the current hitch. I will see how it sits with the 5" drop hitch to see if it sits more level. I have proper tongue weight. The trailer doesn't squat the truck at all.

Have you verified the tongue weight?  Doesnt sound like proper tongue weight to me,  600-800# should squat the truck some.  800# squats my 05 Dmax 3" at the hitch.

Roland Hinkle
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 9:08 PM (#79525 - in reply to #79332)

I'd second that emotion that you don't have enough tongue weight.  Also, if your trailer doesn't weigh the amount to require the load distributing hitch, you can try towing without it.

I know some folks load the front compartment with hay and goodies and put the horse(s) in the back compartments for logistics.  Probably better to haul the light stuff in the truck bed.  Load in the front compartments first and leave the rear ones empty if not filling them all.

Be safe and good luck!

7skeeter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-03-14 8:49 AM (#79554 - in reply to #79332)

I am happy to report that using the 5 1/4" drop hitch made a world of difference. Trailer squats the truck just slightly and trailer pulls great. Leveling the trailer out and getting it nosed down made a world of difference. Thanks for all of the information.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)