'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cost to install brake controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-09 11:21 AM
8 replies, 35578 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-03-02 1:11 PM (#78479)
Subject: Cost to install brake controller

Regular

What would be an average cost to install a brake controller?  Just trying to get and idea of what it should cost, so I don't get ripped off.  Just had an issue where I needed new front lower ball joints on my truck.  The dealer I had it at quoted me $684.  I took it to another shop and got the ball joints, a front end alignment, and new State Inspection for $250.  I WOULD have paid the $684, had I not gotten the idea to call the other shop, thinking they might do it a LITTLE cheaper(thinking maybe $550).  Boy, was I pleasantly surprised, for once!  How do you know what this stuff SHOULD reasonably cost?  The truck already has a hitch with a 6 prong round plug.  I need to get that changed to a 7 blade, too.  I already have the brake controller(in fact my husband mounted it, just didn't go any further) and the new 7 blade plug. 

Also, it is a '95 Dodge Ram 1500.  There is a white rectangle plug under the dashboard, just to the right of the steering column.  I bought the Dodge Tekonsha brake controller plug, but it doesn't fit, so it does not appear to be that(unless someone previously installed a plug for another type of vehicle).  What else would that plug be for?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-02 2:12 PM (#78483 - in reply to #78479)
Subject: RE: Cost to install brake controller

Expert

I've installed three in Fords. The trailer wiring is prewired and the controller plugs fit the factory plug under the dash. Start to finish, the jobs took less than thirty minutes, with most of the time being spent determining where to locate the controller. Depending on what your shop charges per hour, I would put a maximum value of a one hour labour rate.

I don't expect a Dodge to be any more difficult for the installation than any other truck. Access to the wiring is the determining factor.

BOL  Gard

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 2:14 AM (#78589 - in reply to #78479)

I am not mecanically inclined, but we installed our own prodigy brake controller.  The hardest part was squeezing in there to mount the bracket, the wiring was a piece of cake on my 07 F150.  We did buy the wiring harness to simplify it.  So, the "wiring" part took maybe 5-10 minutes maximum, the bracket a lot longer until we recruited our teenage son to wiggle in there and get the job done since he doesn't have a bad back.  :)

I think when I got a quote, the nearby shop wanted 250 to install a brake controller, but it wasn't the brand I wanted.

Jpro
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-04 6:24 PM (#78642 - in reply to #78479)

I think the plug you are talking about under the dashboard (below/ to the left of the steering wheel) is for the computer diagnostic readers. I have a plug on my Chevy in that location and that is what the dealer told me. Installing a brake controller is the next project for my truck. Since I have a tow package I thought that was the plug for the wiring harness, but I never did clarify with him where the brake controller plug is at. I'll have to remember this thread so when the time comes I can come back to it!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 7:30 PM (#78649 - in reply to #78479)

Expert

The plug commonly found under the edge of the dashboard is the OBD2 diagnostic plug. This usually has about 12 ports of which 8 or 10 are commonly used. The wires feed into the vehicle's computer. It is accessed at the bottom of the dash without the necessity of removing any panels. This installation was a government mandate around 1996.

The brake controller plug is usually found up under the dash near to the steering column or above the brake pedal. It is a four pin plug with coloured wires going to it. It has locking tabs to hold the opposite matching half of the controller's plug. On Fords, the removal of the lower dash panel provides the necessary access.

You may need an adapter plug to fit your brand of truck. It should be available from Dodge or the brake controller company you choose. A Ford adapter is about $12.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-04 7:38 PM
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-04 8:02 PM (#78651 - in reply to #78479)

Regular

We just had one put in our motorhome so we could tow the horse trailer and they only charged us $150.00 which included labor.
ChristaBas
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-07 8:55 AM (#78893 - in reply to #78479)

I have a 97 Dodge, and am in Texas...your location could make a difference, but it was only $120 for mine, and took about half an hour. I recommend going to trailer place, not a truck dealership. Trailer places know more about what you are doing with the truck, and I've found that no matter what, the dealership is always the most expensive place to go.

Christa
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 9:25 AM (#79072 - in reply to #78479)

Regular

My husband took my truck to a U-Haul place, yesterday, and the guy wired the brake controller(he had already mounted it) and installed a new 7 blade receptacle(that I already had) for $68.  I had meant for him to replace the round 6 pin receptacle with the 7 blade, but he added the 7 blade to the opposite side of the hitch, so now I have two.  I won't have a problem, now, if I am faced with a 6 pin trailer.  He only charged 1 hour of labor($55) and the rest was for parts and tax.  After seeing what people quoted on here, I thought it was more than fair.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 11:21 AM (#79086 - in reply to #78479)

Expert

Sounds like it was done right and he didn't rip you off on the labour charge. Enjoy your rig

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)