'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Big Creek in Missouri

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-26 5:40 PM
5 replies, 5275 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2011-07-13 2:24 PM (#135601)
Subject: Big Creek in Missouri

Regular

Anyone rode there?  good, bad the ugly Wanting to ride there this month or next.  Wondering what trails are like and if there is a place to go swimming near camp after we are done riding. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-07-14 7:46 PM (#135646 - in reply to #135601)
Subject: RE: Big Creek in Missouri

Veteran

Trails are great. They are not marked and there were no reliable maps when I was there. Camp is less than scenic, just a gravel parking lot, no shade. No where close to camp to swim that I remember. Stalls are a little on the small side.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-07-16 12:30 PM (#135714 - in reply to #135601)

Extreme Veteran

I went there in May and thought it was nice.  The people are very nice and accommodating and the food was great.  I enjoyed the family atmosphere and the quiet evenings.

The campsites are on a gradual hillside so they're stair-stepped up the slope on grass and have roads with gravel.  The downside is no trees. 

The stalls are close to you so it was nice to able to see my horse from my campsite.  I felt the size is fine and they're built safe and sturdy. There is a picture on the internet that shows you what the campground looks like.  I thought the view was pretty.

There's no swimming but we did go down to the river in the afternoon and sat in lawn chairs.  The river runs at the bottom of the hill by the campground so it's close.

The trails are nice and I was with people that had been there before so I went with them.  They do have organized rides that will take you out on the trails.  Someone did have maps for sale but I can't say how good they are.

To me the worst part was the last 7 miles or when you turned off the highway.  They had a bad rain before we got there so it was rough.   Before we left, the county had worked on the road so it wasn't bad then. 

Don't plan to get out on cell phones.  Some people could, some couldn't without driving back up the hill.  I bought a calling card there so I could stay in the camp and call out on their community phone.

I thought it was nice they had a dump station I could use before I left. They also had someone that would go around the camp twice during the week that you could pay to dump your system.

Don't miss the show they put on Thursday night, it was a good laugh.

All in all I thought it was a good experience and I plan to go back someday.

Have a good and safe ride!

Edited by horsin around 2011-07-16 12:33 PM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-19 7:50 PM (#135847 - in reply to #135601)

Elite Veteran

Do a search on this site for Big Creek. Lots of postive info about it. It's my favorite campground for MO riding.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-19 7:51 PM (#135848 - in reply to #135847)

Elite Veteran

And there is swimming behind the mess hall in Big Creek itself. Or you can go to the Current at Cedar Grove or Akers Ferry.
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2011-07-26 5:40 PM (#136107 - in reply to #135848)

I've never had the opportunity to ride this area, but floating the Current River is my favorite thing to do when I visit relatives in Missouri.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)