'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
a 'different' vehicle tow capacity ??, and please, refresh my memory!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-01 3:08 PM
6 replies, 3345 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-02-29 11:30 AM (#78315)
Subject: a 'different' vehicle tow capacity ??, and please, refresh my memory!

Regular

Hello, all!

I am mostly an infrequent lurker here, but...a driver(of horses!) posed a question on a driving forum, and I thought to see what the 'frequent and knowledgeable' haulers here would advise, and pass it along to her!

In a trip from NH to NC, her hubby thinks it would be just fine to put a hitch on what she called a 'tiny Saturn sedan'-a 4 cylinder, that she says weighs only @ 2K lb., and pull a 'little' flatbed trailer of @ 100 lbs., with a motorcycle of @ 400 lbs.(her figures) on it, point to point. Poster thinks it would be better to use the big 'gas-guzzling' truck,'overpowered' though it might be(which they usually use to pull horses(and carriages!), and just suck it up and spend the $$ for said gas--in the interests of safety. 'Tail wagging the dog' was a term she used in describing how the first option might play out...what do you guys think? '

If it were me, I'd advise using the truck.

And while I'm here-could you all refresh me on a tire replacement recommendation? I asked here several months back; I drive the truck as little as I can get by with anymore, as fuel costs rise(I am retired and on a fixed income; every unnecessary trip I can avoid means another I might be able to take to do something I LOVE-like driving horses(I used to ride, but I got old and brittle, darn it!)Anyway, it is time to replace the load range E tires of my 9 yr. old F-250 SD 4 X 4 truck. The most recommended tire, when I asked here before, was a Michelin, but I don't recall the exact designation. I don't '4 wheel', and SELDOM encounter any really serious muddy roads(my gravel road is well drained/maintained), and I don't go into the 'back country' much at all, so don't need 'off-road' tires, but do want something of quality that will last(and a good ride wouldn't hurt!)   Can some of you guys who weighed in before remind me of what you advised? I have been saving toward this, and
WILL be getting these tires soon, now, to be 'ready' for spring and summer! You have my deepest appreciation for your help and advice!

Best wishes to all, 

Margo 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-02-29 11:53 AM (#78318 - in reply to #78315)
Subject: RE: a 'different' vehicle tow capacity ??, and please, refresh my memory!

Expert

I think the Saturn would be perfectly safe with 500# behind it, I suspect the Saturn is a little heavier than 2,000#. However by the time you spend $$ for a hitch and the trailer lowers the mpg I belive it would be a wash.

Sorry, cant help you with the tires, I only run all terrain.........and still spend a lot of time stuck.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-02-29 12:06 PM (#78322 - in reply to #78315)
Subject: RE: a 'different' vehicle tow capacity ??, and please, refresh my memory!

Expert

I run Michelin LTX M/S tires on my dually. So far as the bike deal, I would throw it in the back of the "gas-guzzling" truck, but that's just me.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-29 12:06 PM (#78323 - in reply to #78315)

Expert

If you can buy a hitch for the Saturn, I would pull the bike with a trailer. But I would recommend that the trailer being used is not one of the cheap flat beds with Chinese bearings and 8" tires. Use one that has at least 13" tires for reliability.

For over 40 years I have been pulling many types of trailers using my automobiles without any difficulties. Most states don't require single axle trailers with gross weights of 2995# and less to have brakes. My boat trailers are towed yearly by my cars with no problems. The tongue weight is most important. Mine is set to about 150# with the trailer loaded. This is about the same as couple of people sitting in the back seat.

I used to pull a Volvo to the races, using a 4 cyl Volvo and a tow bar, all over NY for several years with no difficulties.

I'm sure you will get opinions that say you will need a turbo diesel and a sport chassis to do the job. Not so. My travels are 1000 miles round trip and it costs only about four MPG off of my car's fuel consumption of twenty nine MPG to do it. I have four such trips planed for this summer. My truck gets 14 MPG empty or loaded so there is a great savings by not using it.

Michelin are some of the best tires, but are very expensive. For your limited driving you could be well served with any number of other name brands at more reasonable costs. A standard E range mud and snow works well on the street and occasional off roading. Two brands to avoid are Carlisle and Firestone Steelex, and also any rebadged Chinese brands.

BOL  Gard

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-29 12:10 PM (#78324 - in reply to #78315)

Veteran

Longest lasting Michelins will be the XPS Ribs. Strictly a road tire, and pretty expensive. If you want to save money, a lot of Ford owners speak highly of the General Grabber AT2 tires. It's an all-terrain tire and won't last near as long as the XPS, but it's only half the price. For a nice riding tire, take a look at the Goodyear Silent Armors.
olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-03-01 12:29 PM (#78421 - in reply to #78315)

Regular

Thanks for the replies(esp. since you had to find the 'real' post to do so...!)

Anyone else care to weigh in? All opinions welcome!!

(Gard--I am removing the 'original equipment' tires, which have just under 65 K on them(or, three of them; lost the other in a sidewall blowout on I-25 about 3-4 years ago--no discernible cause---they are Firestone Steeltex!) Interesting, huh?  I chose the features I wanted, not the brand, when I ordered the truck....)

Again, thanks to all of you for your help--this is a great place to get the benefit of some excellent viewpoints and experiences!

Olehossgal(Margo in NM)

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-01 3:08 PM (#78424 - in reply to #78421)

Expert

Originally written by olehossgal on 2008-03-01 12:29 PM

Again, thanks to all of you for your help--this is a great place to get the benefit of some excellent viewpoints and experiences!

Olehossgal(Margo in NM)

Well---- It CAN be that,too. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World