'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How old is too old?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-09 10:23 AM
21 replies, 7224 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 9:57 AM (#77148)
Subject: How old is too old?

Veteran

I was just curious how many of you ride older horses? I have a 26 (soon to be 27 in may) year old Paint Mare. She has been X Rayed recently with no signs of Arthritis, she still has plenty of energy to finish the trail and the vet says that the fact that I am still riding her is probably why she is in such good shape. But, I get to feeling a little guilty sometimes about riding her so much.

I have other younger horses to ride but just like her better than the rest.

So, how old are your old horses..that you are still riding???

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 10:26 AM (#77151 - in reply to #77148)
Subject: RE: How old is too old?

Veteran

I have an old QH/Welsh cross that has been 26 for the past 3 years....I just can't bear to let him be any older! He still goes on rides, just not hilly ones.  He has had several bouts of founder in his later years, and has recovered well and still does fine on trails.  We just take it slow (we like to putt along anyhow) and avoid big hills or muddy days with him.  I think using older horses is the best thing for them.  It's just like with old people...use it or lose it as far as bone and muscle mass.  Ole Lucky will take care of any rider and while he can't do as much as he used to, he is still ridden regularly with limitations that WE place on him.  I'm sure he'd trot all day to keep up with the gaited horses, and I'm sure he'd gallop across any field we asked him to...but we just don't ask it of him anymore. 

Amanda

Brkncircle
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 12:24 PM (#77158 - in reply to #77148)

I rode a mule on the Shore to Shore ride (250 miles in 10 days). At the age of 29. He actually started to have more health issues when I retired him the following year.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 1:35 PM (#77164 - in reply to #77148)

Extreme Veteran

This question is sort of on topic.  In talking about older horses I am wondering what supplements or "senior" type feed gives the best results.  I recently acquired a 19 year old TWH who has plenty of get up and go but is a bit thin.  His teeth are in good condition and he doesn't drop much feed at all.   We feed Purina Horse Chow 100 to our younger trail horses and have great results with it but I know the seniors have special needs.

Thanks,

JacciB

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 2:13 PM (#77170 - in reply to #77148)

Expert

We have a 25yr old that my 7yr old rides.  When we got her she was emaciated so we decided to just retire her and keep her as a pasture ornament.  She started acting depressed.  We'd go for rides and she would follow along the fence as far as she could and wouldn't let us near her after the ride.  She would also go off her feed regularly and keeping/putting weight on the mare was impossible.  The vet suggested riding her and giving her a job.  He said some horses NEED to be acitve and feel useful and unless she started showing signs of pain/discomfort there was no need to retire her because of age.  We avoid the hills since she has arthritis in her hips and as long as she gets her corta-flx and we avoid hills she is fine.  She is great with the little ones, but still wants to go when I get on her.  She has been on many 15-20 mile rides in the past few years.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 2:17 PM (#77171 - in reply to #77164)

Expert

JacciB

As my vet said any feed they will eat is a good one.  I was told that older horses don't need a SR feed as long as they are able to eat hay and are holding their weight.  My old girl(25) is on SR feed because she can't eat hay, but my old man (22) is just on hay and a bit of sweet feed. Just enough of the sweet feed to mix the corta-flx with and he is a bit fat right now.  We don't ride much when it' cold, I'm a cold weather wimp.

Edited by Terri 2008-02-18 2:18 PM
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 3:35 PM (#77175 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

My vet said the same thing about retiring my mare, as long as she is not showing signs of pain to keep her moving.
She can still be a handful when she wants to be. I feed her SafeChoice, it is really good at keeping her at a good weight, I have noticed that I need to worm her more often than I use to. But maybe thats because I have more horses in the pasture than I use to.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 4:13 PM (#77179 - in reply to #77148)

Elite Veteran

My oldsters did great on Strategy for a number of years. When that seemed to no longer do the trick I switched them to Senior Glow (Moorman Feeds) and they did great for another few years. I took lessons on one until he was 26 and retired him about 28. The other got ridden until he was about 29, when he started stumbling with a rider. If you listen, they will tell you when it's time.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-18 6:56 PM (#77195 - in reply to #77148)

Expert

Totally agree with above comments-keeping an older horse active is very good for them. I'd feel gulity if the horse was clearly lame or sore or anything else that indicated this was doing more harm than good. It would appear in your case, its not. Horses need to have a job even if its outsdie babysitting weanlings.

BTW- soybean oil is very good an older horse as it adds fat to the diet increasing claories without increasing grains fed. helps with joint health and hoof growth as well....

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 10:54 PM (#77225 - in reply to #77148)

Expert

Have 2 retiree's... a 25 year old cutter, and 22 year old halter , you can still use them, no really hard work or bute needed, but they trail ride fine! 

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-02-19 12:13 PM
cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 6:17 AM (#77232 - in reply to #77148)

Regular

Glad to hear you are still using your "older" horses. My favorite ride is my 26 year old roper, barrel racer, polebending, gelding who just won't quit! Just about lost him last spring, worm impaction in colon. Did a wormer power pack for 5 days, you would think he was reborn!! Yeah, he doesn't look as pretty without the saddle on( high withers, a little dropped back) but he rodeo calf roped for 10 years before we got him, and was both of my girl's game horse for the past 11 years, never a buck, sure footed and SAFE!! I wish that I could clone him! He is first to the gate when I back up the trailer. We still lightly ride him on trails, but when you get on him, you have to REMIND him that he IS older. Still has a lot of get up and go (sometimes, a lot more than me!!) I have fed him Senior feed by Purina for the past 10 years, guess it works, ( he's still here) along with good grass/alfalfa mix hay and pasture. Took him in 2 years ago to get his teeth floated, my vet was amazed that he still HAD all of his teeth!! I am hoping he is still around when my granddaughter is able to ride with me....he is a keeper!! My husband wants me to sell him, since we have 4 others, no way....this farm will be his final resting place, he has been a loyal friend for years, and I think I owe him that much!!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-19 6:29 AM (#77233 - in reply to #77148)

Elite Veteran

Thank you for this post! I love you who don't "discard" your older horses. We have a 24 year old barrel horse (out of Easy Jet) who we love and he manages our barn. I believe he has had a hoof in raising our geldings from weanlings and teaching them how to be horses. His home is here for all time...
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-02-19 11:52 AM (#77262 - in reply to #77148)

Elite Veteran

At least 10 friends have older horses and they still camp and trail ride with them.  It really depends on the horse, what kind of riding you do, etc 

One rode her QH until he was 33 - he was gray as could be, but still loved to go out on the trail.  He passed away last summer at 36...

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 2:41 PM (#77280 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

Thanks everyone for your replys!!
I am gonna keep riding my mare until she lets me know that she has had enough!! I gave her the month of February off due to a little weight loss she had experienced. But she got real upset when she saw us hook up the trailer the other day and she didn't get to go with us.
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 4:59 PM (#77295 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

at what age do you think a horse should be put on a senior feed?
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 6:07 PM (#77304 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

My vet says by age 16 for sure!!
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 6:28 PM (#77309 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

I think Senior feeds depend on your horse's needs not age.  If your older horse can still chew, has his teeth, and is an easy keeper, then normal grain would probably be okay.  Save your cash!  But the senior feeds are softer, more palatable, and suited for more geriatric horses who need the extra help with calories and digestability. The feeds I get are low carb (Buckeye Senior GC)because my old guy has both cushings and insulin resistance and is prone to founder.  I love buckeye feeds, I travel 45 minutes to the only feed store that carries it.   Do you know they make a feed with Glucosamine and Chondroitin built into it?  It's cheaper than separate supplements.  They make senior with G & C as well.  It's perfect for the older arthritic horse.  It's pricey but it does work.  My mare had a click in her stifle or hock area and it stopped after a few months on grow & win with glucosamine & chondroitin.  MMM mmm good feeds!

Amanda

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-02-19 6:53 PM (#77321 - in reply to #77148)

The hint about adding oil to the feed (we use corn oil) really helps keep weight on the older horses, esp. in cold weather. My vet said up to a cup (total) per day-but you would of course want to check with your vet on that-and work up gradually starting with just a couple of tablespoons. I agree on the senior feed too-it really helps the horses who don't have many teeth left-and of course there is chopped timothy for just a little more texture...it can add up money wise but it is worth it to see the old ones still thriving and happy. Joint supplements help so much too! I just try to think, hey, when I get really old and broken down (provided I live that long), I hope someone will care enough to take good care of me!
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-20 3:39 PM (#77430 - in reply to #77321)

Veteran

We have two seniors at the barn. Sally is a 26 yr old Mustang. (her pix is in the album here). She has plenty of get up an go and I would not hesitate to ride her most anywhere. I dont ride her as much as I used to because I have been training a 4 yr old Red Dun to take her place as my main horse. I also have a 28 yr old TWH, retired from show ring (flat shod, racking) and he still likes to be ridden. You can see it in their attitude, they love to be ridden and go places with you. Both seniors are on Nutrena, Life Design Senior feed for the past 4 years now.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-20 7:00 PM (#77449 - in reply to #77148)

Expert

I remember seeing Milne bring his horse to Region 4 CTR rides. His arab was 28 years old  and doing a 40-50mile CTRs every other weekend.  It caught West and died.  But that horse at 28 years old was still actively competiting and winning and doing 500-600 competive miles each summer. Who knows how many conditioning miles. ( I think Milne was in his late 70's too boot ,  What a pair)

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-22 7:22 PM (#77652 - in reply to #77148)

Veteran

Old just depends on the horse. Just this fall I sold my son's 30+ year old gelding to another family a little ways from here who needed a teacher for their daughter.  I had to warn them that they needed a fast walking horse to keep up with him, cause he can outwalk every other horse I own.  He was 100% sound and healthy, and think it's due to the fact that he has great big well-balanced feet, and spent almost his entire life in a string of horses touring people through the Rockies.  Lots of walking and aerobic exercise obviously worked for him.

The old boy, Danny, had all of his teeth, but they were worn down too short to grind hay.  We discovered this when we were trying to figure out why he kept losing weight - I'm sure he was at death's door, he was so thin.  To put the weight back on him we used alfalfa pellets, canola oil, and a pelleted senior feed.  An equine nutrionist worked out the balance for us.  She said that as he gained his weight back, slowly drop the senior feed, then slowly drop the oil, until he was only being supplemented with the alfala pellets. If the only problem he had was his teeth, then this should work.  Sure enough, in 6 weeks he went from a rack of bones to FAT!  We actually had to limit his alfala to keep him from getting obese.  So, from my experience, if you don't need senior feed, why use it?  If hay, water, and mineral does the trick, go with it.  And who cares how old your horse is - it's just a number.  If they can do the job, let them.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-03-09 10:23 AM (#79077 - in reply to #77148)

Extreme Veteran

Last time I really rode my old horse was when he was 29. We drew a second place team at a team penning. The next winter he tore up his digital flexor in pasture pretty good and that pretty much retired him. If he hadn't done that I'd consider penning off him now as he still has the go, but I wouldn't stress that tendon like that. So we just hack around now, he's 32 this year. So I guess what I'm saying is, as long as the horse is healthy fine and still full of go, ride 'er.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)