'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
One Spooky Baby

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-22 7:51 AM
18 replies, 5352 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-20 9:51 PM (#77467)
Subject: One Spooky Baby

Expert

We have an almost yearling filly.She is in a large round pen where she's been since we brought her home at weaning age,in Nov.We have 3 other horses running in a small pasture where the round pen is,and another horse in a connected front pasture.

We feed her every day,and try to spend some time with her.I've never had a baby as shy and nervous as she is.Yesterday,it was almost an hour's task to get a blanket on her ahead of freezing rain forecast for tonight.Today,she would'nt even allow me to TOUCH the blanket.She whirls and takes off.If we spend time grooming and petting her,the next day is like back to square one again.Granted we haven't had the weather or time to devote to her on a daily basis,but she does allow us to pet and groom her,but it's almost like she has amnesia the next day.I think when she was weaned,she was roped to get her away from her mother.I don't think much handling time went in at all.You really have to handle her with kid gloves,and she's ready to take flight at the slightest inclination.

I'm worried that she's going to be a handful.Any insights?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-20 10:39 PM (#77475 - in reply to #77467)
Subject: RE: One Spooky Baby

Elite Veteran

I know it's sometimes hard to find the time, but "time" is what she needs.  "Time" with you.  Will she lead?  Take her for a walk.  Since I'm sure you don't have any grass as of yet, drop a little feed somewhere outside of the round pen and lead her to it.  Let her think " hey, this lady is taking me to a nice little surprise".  She was taken from her mama, and hasn't had anyone or anything to bond with since she was weaned.  Kind of a lonely life for a youngster.  Sounds to me like she's just scared.  I think your just gonna have to spend more time with her.   
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-20 10:43 PM (#77476 - in reply to #77475)

Expert

Yeah,I think you're right.She's murder to try to get out of that round pen.She doesn't want to come out of the gate into the pasture.And of course,having 3 adults standing there with ears back on those females doesn't help.We'll try taking her out of the round pen and into the yard when it gets a little nicer.It's just been too raw and nasty to spend much time with her lately.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-02-20 10:44 PM
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-21 8:49 AM (#77496 - in reply to #77467)

Veteran

The more you tiptoe the worse she'll get.  She'll think something's up. Look at doing some roundpen lunging work to get her steam off, then learn to do some desensitizing activities.  If you tiptoe around a horse, the first time you sneeze she'll blow up on you.  But if you act like everything's no big deal and do it with confidence and repitition she'll become less spooky rather than MORE spooky.  There are lots of great instructional videos on the subject.  A good way to start is with basic lunging.....if she's not halter broke you have a roundpen...do free lunging.  Nothing to get hung up on or tangled in.  You don't need to run her to the ground she's just a baby, but it sounds like she could just use some groundwork. 

When training her you need to respectfully TELL her that you will be touching her, not ask for her permission.   Most likely she'll say NO WAY JOSE!  Use an approach and retreat technique.  If she'll let you touch her wither, but not her neck, rub her in little incriments working towards the neck.  Take extra time on the "sticky" spots, but always back your touch away before she gets upset or backs away.  You have a lot of work ahead of you, but your horse is only a yearling....she has a lot of time too.  

Can you put another horse in with her to play? She's gotta be going stir crazy in the roundpen.  And yes, she's going to be timid about going out of it.   I have a 17 year old gelding who is also very timid.  It took him a week before he'd leave the pasture I originally put him in when I brought him home.  It's just a security issue. 

Amanda

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 9:08 AM (#77501 - in reply to #77496)

Expert

I've been doing some lungeing with her in the pen,not on a lunge line,the middle of our pen has turned into a hog wallow.Don't want to run her around too much because it's slippery in spots,but I've done some of this.Also,doing the approach/retreat,when I sense she's interested,and about to approach,I stand still and don't make eye contact,and she usually comes around then.Or if I see that she's going to run,I'll back off before she can do that.We had to wear her down the other day to get the blanket on her.Funny thing is: she's had one one her twice before.

There's no one we can really put in with her.We've got  2 older mares,and you know how that would go.Our gelding that is with the mares is coming 2,and he's a downright pest.I'm afraid he might hurt her playing rough.

She hasn't really had the head start that our other youngsters had by being weaned a little rough,I think.No other ones,the ones we've had,or the gelding that we bought as a weanling,have been so hard to handle or had a trust issue.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-21 11:19 AM (#77511 - in reply to #77467)

CRG  How long has she been there?  We bought 2 youngsters at a farm sale about 2 years ago;  brought them home, just fed them, talked to them, and did not try to do too much with them....for about a year, but were able to turn them out with the herd and let them grow up.  They were terrified and totally insane when we got them, bless their little hearts.  It just took time.  Also I think they learned a lot from watching how the other horses were treated/acting.  Slow and easy did it for ours.    Maybe a goat or cat for a companion?  Also, vitamin B1 in her feed, but you have seen me recommend that endlessly.  Best of luck with your youngster.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-02-21 11:53 AM (#77515 - in reply to #77467)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-02-20 9:51 PM

We have an almost yearling filly.She is in a large round pen where she's been since we brought her home at weaning age,in Nov /QUOTE]You need to get this filly out of the round pen. A growing horse must have the space to move, run...etc. This is important to growth, both physical and mental.\

try to spend some time with her.I've never had a baby as shy and nervous as she is.
Please spend more time bonding with her and doing some basic ground work and hand walking. If she is not handle, how can you expect her to get used to being handle? You need to lay down a good foundation NOW...because when she is 1,000 lbs it will be too late. Is there a local trainer who can give you some help/tips in working your filly? By work...I mean handleing, ground work, etc.
Granted we haven't had the weather or time to devote to her on a daily basis,but she does allow us to pet and groom her,but it's almost like she has amnesia the next day
Oh..for heaven's sake! What the heck do you expect? She's a baby and you need to MAKE The time to spend with her. PLEASE MAKE THE TIME!!!!!!!
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-02-21 11:57 AM (#77517 - in reply to #77501)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-02-21 9:08 AM

I've been doing some lungeing with her in the pen,not on a lunge line

Please do not lunge this filly!!! She is way to young for that and lunging is very stressful on young growing legs.PLEASE FIND A TRAINER OR EXPERIENCED HORSE PERSON TO HELP YOU.Gezz...I get real upset with folks buy baby horses and have not taken the time to educate themselves...first. Grrr!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 12:39 PM (#77521 - in reply to #77517)

Expert

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-02-21 4:13 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 12:50 PM (#77523 - in reply to #77515)

Expert

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-02-21 11:53 AM

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-02-20 9:51 PM

/QUOTE]You need to get this filly out of the round pen. A growing horse must have the space to move, run...etc. This is important to growth, both physical and mental.\

Oh..for heaven's sake! What the heck do you expect? She's a baby and you need to MAKE The time to spend with her. PLEASE MAKE THE TIME!!!!!!!

You wanna come try to catch her for me when I am ready to catch her,running free in a big pasture with 3 grown horses when she is like she is now? Be my guest.

The weather in the US hasn't exactly adapted itself to standing outside in rain or 20 MPH winds spending time with her.We spend what time we can with her.That's not much considering it is dark by 5:30 and we're both home a little before that to feed and hay.Appreciate your comments tho.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 4:14 PM (#77548 - in reply to #77517)

Expert

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-02-21 11:57 AM

.Gezz...I get real upset with folks buy baby horses and have not taken the time to educate themselves...first. Grrr!

Gezz,this isn't the first one we've ever had.Make it # 7.

I just said that for some reason,she's the ONLY one we've had like this.The others spent their first year in a round pen,also.That's so we can be sure that they get their share of the youth feed (plus her hay)we feed for 2 years,instead of competing against 3 adult horses.She wouldn't get anything that way,I assure you. 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-02-21 4:17 PM
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-21 5:57 PM (#77558 - in reply to #77467)

Elite Veteran

Since I DO know that you are an experienced horsewoman who has raised several young horses, I would take offense by someone suggesting that you're not educated.  This filly is just going to be DIFFERENT than the others.  Your handling tactics will probably have to be slower and more deliberate.  It's a shame she was taken from her mama in such a harsh way, but that's the way it happened and now you got a lot of trust to rebuild.  I own a Mule who's been with me for years, but for whatever reason, on no particular day , she'll decide that I must be demon seed with 3 horns sticking out of my head, and be as boogery as they come.  And if my daughter comes outside with her green jacket . ? . ?  Oh man, surely she must be packing a mule killing grenade or something.  Ten minutes later, all is well and calm.  Maybe a little "Bi-Polar"??
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 7:28 PM (#77564 - in reply to #77558)

Expert

Thank You,Nancy.I guess only someone that knows that we're not ignorant hillbillies understands that we didn't just wake up one Am and say "let's go get a baby horse to play with!"

She'll come around.She's got a bigger engine and breeding than some of our others.She's more "show" breeding.She's going to be a nice one,I know that! She's not crazy or wild running around there like she's scared to death or anything.And in a 80ft round pen,I think she's got plenty of room for growth and development.I guarantee you if she doesn't want you to catch her in there,YOU WON'T.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-21 9:09 PM (#77568 - in reply to #77467)

Hi Nancy  Just came back from the barn....petting on babies and youngsters....one still won't let me pet him.  They are just all individuals.  CRG your baby probably will be just what you said, a special princess!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 9:17 PM (#77569 - in reply to #77568)

Expert

Well,thanks to you too,Rose.

the breeder's wife told us that when he separated her from her mother,he roped her.I know she hasn't forgotten it.None of the ones we've ever raised has ever been this way,and we've raised good ones,too. we weaned each one of ours,and this one is the third one we've kept in the round pen until we were sure she could fend for herself,was big enough not to get hurt running with 2 mares and a 2 yr old gelding,and that she is getting her fair share of quality feed while it counts the most. Not to mention we're positive we can catch her willingly instead of her running full tilt across 6 acres going  "NA NA".If we ever get together down at Village Creek to ride you'll see ,we don't have "cobs" that we ride,we ride real horses. HA!

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-21 9:35 PM (#77573 - in reply to #77467)

Expert

She is just gonna be a while, you are on the right track.   Have had some here like that over the years, woulda killed ya over the winter blanket... she is just really suspicious right now and when the weather gets better and the footing improves you'll make more progress.  Have had a 3 yr old TB filly come in here, 1400 lbs of snot blowing hysteria couldn't catch in a stall with a butterfly net, and she eventually got it figured out.  Shoot, you shoulda seen the 9 YEAR old mare that came in like that, a snakey lady fur sure.... and she got to riding ok after a while, tho in the 5 months she was here she would never eat if a person was in the barn, she would only eat after you left...now THAT is spooky!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 9:43 PM (#77574 - in reply to #77573)

Expert

Yep,I agree there! Guess we aren't doing so bad,after all! We have a big beautiful 11 year old gelding that used to jump out of his hide if another horse let one,you know? He's not nearly as bad after we sent him for some additional trail riding at the trainers that we use to break our horses for trails.But he's still a nervous individual,and I think he always will be.(His mother is also his half sister.One of those Arkansas horses you know!!  HA HA!)

He has well-bred well known horses on his papers.Has a big motor.We have this 2 year old gelding that could already be a plowhorse.I swear,I think you could throw grenades off his back.First time I threw that canvas horse blanket on him,he looked around,grabbed it in his teeth,and jerked on it,and when he saw that it wasn't coming off,went back to eating!!! I nearly fell out.He's a dead head,for sure.But the filly? NOT.She's going to have a big motor,too I believe.

Don't know about your place tonight,but,it's raining ice here.I'm glad for those blankets (all 5 of them!) but I sure do wish WE had a barn for then on nights like this.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-02-21 9:45 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 9:45 PM (#77575 - in reply to #77574)

Expert

PS  one thing I've been able to see while she's busy going around the round pen avoiding me is this: she's sure going to be a gaited little toot! THAT'S a good thing!
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-22 7:51 AM (#77588 - in reply to #77467)

Elite Veteran

Rose !!  How have you been girl !!?  Hope you guys held up in the rain and storms.  My poor horses are standing in mud, our pastures are so flooded.  Gotta get started on these run-in sheds SOON !!

Nancy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)