'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What to put in Equine First Aid Kit?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-10 10:47 AM
10 replies, 6121 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-05 6:31 PM (#78745)
Subject: What to put in Equine First Aid Kit?

Veteran

I've been looking to see what's out there in terms of an equine first aid kit.  I've found that they vary greatly in the items offered. They're also overpriced.

What do I really need, and don't I need?  Any interesting items you wish you would have packed in an emergency?  I've never had more than a little scuff on my horse after a trail ride, but I want to be prepared for the worst.

I found one good one on ebay, but I think it had some unnecessary items, and it was VERY priceyhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310028665304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-03-05 8:53 PM (#78760 - in reply to #78745)
Subject: RE: What to put in Equine First Aid Kit?

Expert

the ones on line are well stocked for everything they could think of if you go to usrider they also have a list of thing you may need. If you think you need it then bring it with you ( it is better to have it and not need it then  need it and not have it ) an old friend told this to me
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-05 10:28 PM (#78768 - in reply to #78745)

Expert

I'd have to say you'll need to ask your vet about what they want you to have in your kit.  I say this because every vet "thinks" differently.  When you call them and they tell you use product X, you'd better have product X with you.  When I'm out on the road I always call my home vet first, this allows them to know what happened, help me use my kit to stabilize the problem and when to know if another vet should be contacted (my equine vet has awesome staff and they'll find a vet in that area and pre-call the situation in for me.)  Once the other vet fixes the problem I call back to my vet and update the situation so follow-up care is planned and treatment can be continuous, the last thing you want to have is your vet trying to figure out what another doctor did to your horse after the fact.  (You'll also want the fax number for the treating vet so things can be sent back for your files at your vet.)

*Another good thing about calling your vet first is sometimes they can help you avoid a costly call to another vet and if you do need to call another vet in your location they'll know if you can have them come to you or if you must haul in for treatment.*

Edited by huntseat 2008-03-05 10:30 PM
Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-03-06 9:04 AM (#78790 - in reply to #78745)

Veteran

Try the Forum - Trailer Talk - Has some great advice about preparing your trailer for travel and you can look up US Rider Motor Plan -they have some useful information - Vet Approved First Aid Kit.  Also there are messages on this subject every now and then.  I read them but I did not put down the information, which I regret now since it is good advice. 

From Gone:  If you go camping. About snake bites. http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0100reptilian.shtml

Good Luck on your search.

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-06 9:39 AM (#78792 - in reply to #78745)

Regular

I made my own, starting with a plastic tackle box from Wally World.   I also have a large plastic bin full of "stuff".   I probably do a bit of an overkill being a nurse.

Here are some things I have in mine:

hydrogen peroxide, wonder dust, betadine, antiseptic spray such a furacin, scarlet oil, or the purple stuff.    rolls of vet wrap, ace bandages.   I keep both injectable and tube paste of banamine.   So, I also have an assortment of needles and syringes....even if you arent skilled at injections, there may be someone around who is.    I keep 4x4 gauzes pads, larger abd pads, (a diaper would work for these)   just as long as it is large and absorbent.    scissors,  different kinds of tape,  for standing leg wraps I keep roll of cotton gauze, quilted wraps, and the long stretchy wraps.    I also keep a jar of nu-stock which is a very thick paste to cover a wound.    A tube of electrolyte paste, tube of probios paste.  Bag of epsom salt.

I think that about covers it lol.    Can never have too much cause sure as you take something out, you'll need it the next trip out!

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-06 10:31 AM (#78794 - in reply to #78745)

Veteran

We also take along emergency kit(Equine/people) misc in our saddle bags(out on trails/woods).Not as much as trailer kit but  few items just in case/quick fix till back to camp etc.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-06 5:49 PM (#78836 - in reply to #78792)

Expert

ntcowgirl, a good substitute for a diaper is feminine pads (they stick to the wrap which makes them very easy to apply.)  You forgot your tube of bute.
ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-06 6:55 PM (#78845 - in reply to #78745)

Regular

Lol, you are right Huntseat...I never leave home without Bute and Banamine!   Thanks!

Hehe, no femine pads in this house now!     More in the grandma mode so more likely to have a diaper lol! 

Ps--I also have a small kitchen sink in my big emergency kit!    JK.  

Edited by ntcowgirl 2008-03-06 9:30 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-06 9:46 PM (#78859 - in reply to #78845)

Expert

No fem pads for me either...I'm 30 weeks along and realizing that very soon I'll be taking orders from some little man in diapers (and this is not a joke about my last boss!)
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-03-09 9:39 AM (#79073 - in reply to #78859)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I used to bring everything and the kitchen sink, but now stick to the basics that will get me home or to the vet. I'd start with the cell phone with your vet on speed dial for more local trail rides and keep the phone on you and not on the saddle. I also always have my handy dandy little pocket knife.

As for the first aid kit: What you really need is some kind of gauze (feminine napkins are really good for this, diapers tend to be too large and hard to handle for most things that occur on trail. That is, most things that you wouldn't want a vet to come where you are right now. Vet wrap (two or three rolls. Not to mention for those of us that still need them it's a good item to always have handy anyway.). If you have room, stuff in a pillow wrap or quilt. Bandaides for the humans. If you like stuffing your saddlebags with tons of other things, go for it, but over all these are the items most needed for an emergency, both human and equine. Standing wraps can make a nifty sling for injured human arms or shoulders. Pillow wraps or quilts can pad a leg or arm splint.

At camp (even if you aren't camping I still refer to where the trailer is parked as camp) you might want to keep on hand your prefered antibiotic ointment and/or spray.

banamine and such are fine if you have a place to keep them at the prescribed storage temperatures. Which is why so many lament them taking Dyperone (sp?) away from us in the states as it did not need to be refrigerated.

The most used item from the overstocked first aid kit I had years ago, before I went more basic, was bandaides. More often for other people and their children. I always thought it was odd the single person without kids would be the only person in camp to think to bring bandaides.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 10:47 AM (#79164 - in reply to #78745)

Veteran

I reviewed all the entries and don't see a thermometer. That's the first thing the vet asks when I call. "What's his temperature?" Even if I am calling about something that is seemingly not related to infection etc - he inevitably asks for the temperature.Sorry if I overlooked this in someone else's post...Oh, and those feminine pads are wonderful! My mare had a nasty cut on the back of her pastern and the pad fit perfectly, secured with vet-wrap.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)