'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer too heavy for truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-19 8:56 PM
14 replies, 5206 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 5:12 PM (#77182)
Subject: Trailer too heavy for truck?

I have a 2001 F-250.  Bought an Elite 3hrs with LQ, 10 ft short wall, 8ft wide.  Granted my truck has 200,000 miles on it; but it ran like a charm.  now, ever since i started pulling this trailer, it seems my truck goes in the shop about once a month, always something.  This time it was leaking antifreeze, but they found where the rear axle is leaking also.  I'm beginning to think I have too much trailer for this truck, which I begged the dealer who sold me the trailer to "PLEASE don't sell me too much trailer for my truck."   I'm getting 2 or 3 hundred dollared to death with truck repairs.

Do I have too much trailer for a 3/4 ton? 

Thanks for any advice.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 5:20 PM (#77183 - in reply to #77182)
Subject: RE: Trailer too heavy for truck?

Expert

I'm not a mechanic or profess to be an automotive expert.But just thinking on it,it would seem to me like the factors have added up at the same time: # of miles on the vehicle+it is now almost 8 years old.So,it's about time for things to start happening I would assume.
goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 5:29 PM (#77185 - in reply to #77183)

well, I bought the trailer at the encouragment of others telling me how I could probably get 3, 400,00 miles out of a Ford diesel, blah, blah, blah.  And I know it's going to have to have repairs along the way, but i was just wonderin if it's coincidence or too much trailer taking its toll on the truk.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 5:43 PM (#77188 - in reply to #77182)

Expert

It sounds as if you are getting into the maintenance and repair of high mileage equipment. Adding the stress of the trailer towing exacerbates any weaknesses you may have in an older truck.

A purely economic factor, would be to consider the yearly cost of a new truck to what your repairs entail. Two or three hundred dollar repairs are less than one monthly payment.

If you decide to keep a high mileage vehicle, at some point it would be wise to start including "system" renovations. That is, have all of the components of one system completely refreshed or replaced when one part of that system fails. This would include the brake system, or the cooling system with all the hoses, transmission and axle rebuilds etc.

This results in a reliable vehicle, costs less than individually replacing each failed component, and will keep you on the road at a price that is far less than a new truck replacement.

If you are constantly involved in fixing individual components, your enjoyment and faith in you truck will suffer. By having your truck in a reliable and mechanically fit condition, it can be as rewarding to use as a new one.

As long as you don't have rust issues, almost any truck can be used as long as you want it to. A completely new drive train can be installed at a fraction of a new truck price.

Your trailer is on the high end of your truck's capabilities. You have to determine if it is adequate to the task, and if so, are you willing to spend some extra time and money now to make it reliable?

It all depends on your needs and wishes.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-02-18 5:47 PM
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 5:49 PM (#77191 - in reply to #77182)

Regular

I'd agree, you got a little bit of both going on. Our experience is that around 200,000 miles, little stuff starts to go wrong. It will seem like the truck is starting to nickel and dime us to death. But they are never major repairs. However, my 3/4 ton isn't required to pull our LQ (have a hauler for that), it only pulls a stock trailer. We are big proponents of over trucking, as we have watched friends doing major repairs (transmission, engine overhaul) when they were constantly pulling too big a trailer for their truck. Don't want to go down that path, so we choose to over truck.
goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 6:27 PM (#77192 - in reply to #77182)

Thank you, Gard and Too L Ranch. 

That's myy biggest fear, is that I"m going to start getting into major repairs, like transmission and engine," second only to breaking down on the road (I rodeo) at nite in the middle of nowhere.   Sounds like I may have to consider a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.   rats

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 9:34 PM (#77210 - in reply to #77182)

Expert

A smaller trailer will not cure your older truck issues. If you ran it empty, it would still need replacement parts and proper maintenance.

If properly maintained, your diesel motor can last 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles. Your transmission will probably need a rebuild sooner. The axles (seals, bearings etc), tie rods, ball joints, brakes, cooling system and engine accessories are all subject to wear and will need replacing or repair. Except for the diesel engine, you could change or rebuild all of these components for less than $6K. I was priced a new PSD engine installed at $10k. All of these totaled together is less than a third the cost of a new truck. A gas engine would be a third of the diesel's cost.

Again, it boils down to which economic situation you wish to embrace. You already own the equipment, do you wish to keep it or change?

BOL  Gard

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-18 9:35 PM (#77211 - in reply to #77182)

Elite Veteran

I pulled a 12ft short wall LQ, 3 horse 8ft wide with a 2002 2500 HD.  The truck pulled it o.k., but I never really felt quite comfortable with it on the down hills.  That 8 wide I think is what made the difference.  Kept the same size trailer, but bought a 1 ton dually.  I now feel like I got it all under control with the bigger truck.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-19 1:24 PM (#77272 - in reply to #77182)

Charter Member

I'm just guessing, but I bet it is a heavier trailer than what your truck is rated to pull and considering the mileage and age of your truck, I would think it is time to get a new(er) truck.

I was looking into these things last week. Granted, this is for Dodge, but a 2006-2008 Dodge Cummins 2500 (man. tranny) is only rated to pull a load up to 12,750 (I believe that was the number).

My best friend just bought a 3H LQ (12'SW) and EMPTY, it weighs about 11,000#. You stick a few horses in there and you are at the limit....not to mention whatever tack, water (1 ga = 7#) generator, etc.

goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 5:27 PM (#77298 - in reply to #77210)

Originally written by gard on 2008-02-18 9:34 PM

A smaller trailer will not cure your older truck issues. If you ran it empty, it would still need replacement parts and proper maintenance.

If properly maintained, your diesel motor can last 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles. Your transmission will probably need a rebuild sooner. The axles (seals, bearings etc), tie rods, ball joints, brakes, cooling system and engine accessories are all subject to wear and will need replacing or repair. Except for the diesel engine, you could change or rebuild all of these components for less than $6K. I was priced a new PSD engine installed at $10k. All of these totaled together is less than a third the cost of a new truck. A gas engine would be a third of the diesel's cost.

Again, it boils down to which economic situation you wish to embrace. You already own the equipment, do you wish to keep it or change?

BOL  Gard

After talking to some guys who know about such things, as you seem to also, I'm going to keep on keeping on.  I LOVE my trailer (and need it), "Maggie Mae" has been a good ole truck, and I don't want a big ole truck note anytime in the near future.   

The good news is I had to have the cam sensor replaced a couple of months ago, and now they've come out with a recall.   So I get my money back on that.  For anyone who is not aware and hasn't gotten the recall letter, you might want to check the Ford website and have it done if it pertains to your truck.   It is a very scary thing to have your truck totally shut down....I mean TOTALLY.  I was lucky and not on a major highway when it happened, but I was hauling my horse at the time.

thanks again!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-19 5:44 PM (#77303 - in reply to #77182)

Expert

Just had my diesel sensor replaced on the same recall. Thanks for the heads up

Gard

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-02-19 6:39 PM (#77315 - in reply to #77182)

Extreme Veteran

If the truck hasn't had a new transmission installed, it most likely will be in the not so distant future. And that is gonna be $3500 give or take.

Ball joints are another area of concern on the Fords.

I've driven one to 300k...that's about the life span in the injectors. The engine internals are good to go more however. Rebuilt injectors? About $1000 plus install.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 6:46 PM (#77318 - in reply to #77182)

Expert

Goponygo................Is your F250 an automatic or standard transmission? 
goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 8:53 PM (#77336 - in reply to #77315)

Originally written by wyndancer on 2008-02-19 6:39 PM

If the truck hasn't had a new transmission installed, it most likely will be in the not so distant future. And that is gonna be $3500 give or take.

Ball joints are another area of concern on the Fords.

I've driven one to 300k...that's about the life span in the injectors. The engine internals are good to go more however. Rebuilt injectors? About $1000 plus install.

ouch....Scarlet's not gonna think about all that today...she'll think about it tomorrow.

goponygo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 8:56 PM (#77337 - in reply to #77318)

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2008-02-19 6:46 PM

Goponygo................Is your F250 an automatic or standard transmission? 

Automatic

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)