'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Water Tank...is this possible

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-23 9:30 AM
19 replies, 7661 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-20 7:42 PM (#74900)
Subject: Water Tank...is this possible

Charter Member

I am considering mounting a water holding tank in my hay rack. If nothing else, I was going to use it as a source for water for my horses when travelling or when somewhere either without water or with it really far away.

Would it be okay/possible to also use this water tank as a source for water for my shower/sink in my weekend package?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-20 8:49 PM (#74904 - in reply to #74900)
Subject: RE: Water Tank...is this possible

Expert

Yes.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-20 10:32 PM (#74910 - in reply to #74900)

Veteran

The only problem I might see with that is you might have trouble with the water freezing if you use it when it is really cold versus having it inside if you have heat. We camped thanksgiving and our friends has their water tank up on top and their water froze up. Ours did not. I have seen a lot people mount the tank on top for just an extra spare water tank.

Edited by classygirl98 2008-01-21 9:16 AM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 10:33 PM (#74911 - in reply to #74900)

Elite Veteran

I don't know if your hayrack is covered or or not, but you may want to treat the water if it exposed to a lot of sun or extreme heat. Mold spores can grow quickly in warm water.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-21 9:02 AM (#74927 - in reply to #74900)

Expert

The is one consideration you will have to contemplate. If you are going to add the water tank to your hay rack, in addition to the generator installation you had planned, you may be running into a roof weight/strength issue. If you add the combined weight of 7 lbs/gal of water, plus the hay rack structure, plus the weight of the generator, you will have a significant amount of weight sitting high on the back end of your trailer.

It will not be adequate to simply tack weld a hay rack to your roof. The original roof bows are not structurally strong enough for this amount of additional weight. The inside roof structure will have to be reinforced, transferring the centre load additional weight, outside to the sidewalls. If the stall area has a ceiling and is insulated, the area under the fabrication will have to be removed. If you have a removable centre door post, the top pin will be directly in the area where the roof will have to be strengthened.

A second approach would be to fabricate a very strong platform in place of the hay rack, with the outside supports attaching directly to the side wall joists. This would entail cutting out the roof only for the vertical supports. After they were welded, the roofing could be repaired and sealed. This would eliminate the ceiling reinforcement when a hay rack is used. Either way, it will take the skills of a custom fabricator to manufacture the necessary structure for this modification.

If your trailer is under warranty, these changes will void your warranty.

BOL  Gard

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-21 9:23 AM (#74929 - in reply to #74927)

Charter Member

Originally written by gard on 2008-01-21 9:02 AM

It will not be adequate to simply tack weld a hay rack to your roof. The original roof bows are not structurally strong enough for this amount of additional weight. The inside roof structure will have to be reinforced, transferring the centre load additional weight, outside to the sidewalls. If the stall area has a ceiling and is insulated, the area under the fabrication will have to be removed. If you have a removable centre door post, the top pin will be directly in the area where the roof will have to be strengthened.

A second approach would be to fabricate a very strong platform in place of the hay rack, with the outside supports attaching directly to the side wall joists. This would entail cutting out the roof only for the vertical supports. After they were welded, the roofing could be repaired and sealed. This would eliminate the ceiling reinforcement when a hay rack is used. Either way, it will take the skills of a custom fabricator to manufacture the necessary structure for this modification.

If your trailer is under warranty, these changes will void your warranty.

BOL  Gard

The trailer came with a pre-installed hay rack so we won't be welding one in place. It also has cross beam type structures (I guess for the original purpose of keeping the hay off the roof directly). These are welded to the hayrack which is mounted so that it bears all the weight on the side structures of the walls. No weight is on the roof sheeting at all. All items that are placed up there will be on those beams.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-21 9:40 AM (#74934 - in reply to #74900)

Expert

most hays racks are designed for the weight of hay; a half dozen or so bales with their weight of a few hundred lbs spread over a large area. You are considering a higher amount of weight in a more concentrated area. The hay rack is not designed for that purpose.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-21 10:35 AM (#74939 - in reply to #74900)

Expert

Gard is correct, shows I am not paying attention, missed the hay rack mounted generator plan...The concentrated weight is another matter from wide distribution of hay, as stated above.  We have a 35 gal hay rack water tank, and I have used it for horse water, and in a pinch, ran a hose from that tank to refill my living quarters water tank (not to drink ) Our generator is in the tackroom, with remote start in the LQ, so that weight is not up top.  I will put about 10 gal up top in the tank when travelling, as a bit of horse drinking water is nice to have enroute, altho mine, altho seasoned travelers, often drink miserly amounts while onboard.  Being mules, they are more water efficient than horses (a generalization).  I haul with a dry trailer often, then either fill just before reaching my boondock destination, or haul dry to a place with hookups, just to reduce wear and tear, and less weight.   At the fuel cost of today, any little bit helps!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-01-21 10:36 AM
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-21 11:13 AM (#74942 - in reply to #74900)

Charter Member

Thanks for the info. These are things I hadn't considered and as I stated before, this was just something I was considering.

I may go with a water tank behind the saddle rack instead and use that for the horses (though this is where I usually stuff my little push broom and fork that I use for cleaning out the horse area of my trailer.

I'm just trying to find ways to save space in the tiny area for the weekend package.
gerilynn
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-21 12:21 PM (#74949 - in reply to #74900)

I have a water tank on top of my hay rack, it had to have a steel frame around it. There is one line out of it and a line to 2 stalls with shut off's for waters in the stalls.  I love this! There is an easy drain plug. Go to Google and search "water hay rack" there are great ones to choose from.  I've seen them in the corner of the rear tack and hoping I will be able to do this with my next trailer the exiss! But the faucet will have to be outside.  Here are photos of the trailer with the water tank on top, and one you can kind of see of water valves in the stall

http://www.gerilynn.net/listings/listings.aspx?FileName=defaultlistings.x&ListID=598344

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-21 12:43 PM (#74954 - in reply to #74900)

Charter Member

I got the idea from this website:
http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/watertanks_accessories.ht...

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-01-21 11:46 PM (#75030 - in reply to #74900)

Extreme Veteran

I recently bought a 39 gallon corner water tank that fits perfectly behind my rear tack saddle rack. It has the same dimensions as smaller corner tanks, but it's taller. Very easy to install!   I will use it to refill my small LQ water tank so I can take a shower on those long hot dusty endurance weekends :) It seemed to be the best way to transport the water, and is safe from the sun too. All I need to do is run a hose from the spigot to the LQ water fill. Horse water is always available at endurance rides... water for showers isn't. I usually take bottled water for drinking so only need the extra water for a quick shower and the bathroom.

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-01-21 11:48 PM
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-22 7:42 AM (#75041 - in reply to #74900)

Extreme Veteran

I have one of those 48 gal. lay flat water tanks and put it in the back of my truck when I go somewhere with no water. It works out fine. I have a hose with one of those cut off valves on the end so I just open the water at the tank and use the shut off on the hose.
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-22 8:19 AM (#75044 - in reply to #74900)

Regular

I think the biggest issue you will have with a water tank on the hay rack is properly securing the thing. You should really use something other than the straps that come with the water tank itself.

Many of the corner water tanks will fit in the rear tack behind the saddle rack, you can easily modify the tank for filling and draining from the outside of the trailer (if you are handy). If space is an issue, you may want to do some measurements and see if one will fit in this space.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-22 10:11 AM (#75060 - in reply to #74900)

Expert

I used a 25 gallon corner tank for several years, then the horses decided they didn't like drinking from that tank anymore so I went back to the Reliance 6 gallon cans. I fill onecan for each horse for traveling from home to the show grounds. If we were camping somwhere in the wild blue.....Then I guess I would need to carry a few more cans!! But, they work for us and you can put them most anywhere.

http://www.outdoorcooking.com/catalog/item/11/209/0/341110/1252/Reliance+Desert+Patrol+6+Gal.html

Edited by retento 2008-01-22 10:12 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-22 6:49 PM (#75088 - in reply to #74900)

Expert

My previous trailer came with a 35 gallon roof mount tank. It was held in the hay rack with 2 nylon straps. I added two more of my own straps just to be sure. I never had a problem with it moving.  35gallons is only seven 5 gallon buckets. I found I ran out of horse water pretty fast on a dry weekend.

Nice thing about it in the hay rack, was that gravity works very well to move the water. With a 8 foot drop from tank to bucket on ground, the water comes out with pretty good force.  My tank now is an angle tank behind the saddle rack. Since the bottom of that tank is only 14" off the ground. The water comes out much slower.

I made sure to never ever put anything but drinking water in the tank.  (No lake water, or water from uncertain sources) I drained it, if it ever sat more than a weekend. Always a fresh tank before heading out.

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-22 11:57 PM (#75100 - in reply to #74900)

Believe it or not on my Exiss they installed a large hayrack and told me it was capable of 1200 lbs.
I've got 2 35 gallon water tanks up there and with them full of water and me walking up on the rack itself (because i hate thinking of denting the roof) it feels fine.

Mine may not be the same as yours but that's just what I was told and I've loaded the heck out of it and never had any problems.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-23 12:40 AM (#75101 - in reply to #74900)

Charter Member

I sent an email to Elite yesterday, but of course I haven't heard back, I believe the racks are made the way they are (with cross beams and such) so they can support a heavier load.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-23 7:41 AM (#75108 - in reply to #74900)

I have used 2 of the 35 gallon tanks in the hay rack on my Elite trailers for several years and had no problem. In addition to the water (570# when full) I regularly carry hay, coolers, etc. up there with the water tanks and have probably been close to 1000# at times.I have a hose run down the ladder to fill the tanks from the ground and a hose that runs down into the tack with a pump hooked on with a hose attached that I can rinse my horses or fill my trailer tank with. The pump also feeds the stall waterers and misters in the trailer.
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 9:30 AM (#75115 - in reply to #74900)

Regular

I've used a tank such as this one ....http://www.valleyvet.com/trailering-watering/63-Gallon-Pickup-Bed-Water-Caddy

for a number of years and found it to be a great solution to a number of water hauling issues. Since it is in the bed of the truck, you don't have to worry about the engineering issues on the hay rack.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)