'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ford 150 and trailer handling?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-30 9:13 AM
4 replies, 3324 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jsnow
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-29 10:58 PM (#73482)
Subject: Ford 150 and trailer handling?

We are considering a F150-2005 and had it out today on trial with our trailer. This is a 4x4. We usually pull with a 4x2 1500 dodge- and the trailer is a 12 foot stock bp. It usually pulls like a dream behind the truck. For various reasons we are considering an upgrade to the ford 150. On the trial today with our trailer, we didn't have it "completely" level due to using the the drop bar/hitch from our slighlty lower (like 3inches maybe) dodge. The ford didn't give as nice a ride as I would have liked- it seemed to bob up and down and bounce a little more- kind of like the back end of the truck and the front part of the trailer were bending up and down(yes they weren't but I don't know how else to describe it). We don't feel anything at all with the dodge- no bump, bounce or sway unloaded or loaded. Could this all have to do with the drop bar height (only a difference of 2-3 inches from dodge to higher ford) or the fact that the ford is a 4x4 and the dodge is 2x4? Any other thoughts? We were considering this ford until we towed with it today...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jsnow
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-29 11:25 PM (#73484 - in reply to #73482)
Subject: RE: Ford 150 and trailer handling?

In addition to the shocks/4x4 possibilities, could it be as result of a looser fit of the drop bar into the receiver? The dodge has a very snug fit, the ford, possibly a 1/16 in wiggle. Sorry if this sounds wierd- just trying to figure out why the newer ford doesn't give a smooth trailer ride...
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-12-30 12:02 AM (#73485 - in reply to #73482)

Veteran

Check the Ford tire pressure.

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-12-30 9:12 AM (#73490 - in reply to #73482)

Regular

In 2005, I purchased a new F150 4x4 with the 5.7 gas engine to replace my 2003 diesel dually . I sold the dually after selling our LQ trailer. I just wanted an easy daily driver and horse trailer hauler. I did negotiate with the dealer on our new purchase to have an electric brake installed since I am a safe driver/hauler. Our F150 needed brake repair/maintenance every 8000 miles. We worked exclusively with our Ford dealer and brake controller installer. THe dealer's solution was to drive with the brake controller turned all the way up!!! (second unit performed same as first). Of course our F150 bumped as you described--BUT I had gotten used to pulling with a diesel dually!!! The stability or "I can't tell the trailer is back there" feel is not the case with the F 150. Since we had the large engine, gas mileage on long trailer hauls was less than ideal--we just were not used to stopping every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a tank of gas. Again, I had gotten used to the dually. I will say , the F 150 is fantastic to drive around town and to haul a trailer short distances. Unfortunately, I had to get another diesel dually!! I did feel safe in the F 150 but ALWAYS gave extra stopping distance to suit my needs. Best of Luck to you !!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-30 9:13 AM (#73491 - in reply to #73482)

Expert

Is the Ford a short wheel base or a long one? A regular cab 4X4 short bed will pitch much more than a full size bed with a larger cab. If the trailer hitch is low, extra weight is placed on the trailer's front axle which will effect how it will handle. It won't be balanced correctly and can cause some of the problems you describe.

Until your trailer is correctly hitched, it will be difficult to determine where the problem is developing. Again, if you are using a short wheelbase truck, it will cause more pitching than a longer wheelbase. Another thing you should check on if this is a used vehicle is the condition of the shock absorbers. If they are worn, the truck will bounce. What was the tire pressures of the truck? If the rear tires were set up for an unloaded condition, a lower pressure, this can also cause an improper ride.

There are many F150's on the roads, pulling many types of trailers. When set up correctly, they do a very good job.

BOL  Gard 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)