'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brand Inspections

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-11 10:16 AM
33 replies, 13781 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-20 6:37 PM (#74895 - in reply to #74845)
Subject: RE: Brand Inspections

Expert

In the old west all livestock was branded and each ranch had a registered brand.  Often times livestock was run together from several ranches. At the end of the grazing season when the livestock were collected, the brands were inspected and the animals sorted by each brand. If you were in possesion of an animal with a brand not registered to your ranch, you needed to prove ownership. If the brand appeared doctored or changed, You would have to tell why.  You often see horses and cattle with 2-3 brands. One from where the animal was born, one from where the animal lived as it grew up and one from where it ended up as using stock. All Livestock requires a brand inspection. Sheep, goats, Llamas, cattle, equine. A brand inspection may detail that it's a Hot brand, a Freeze brand or that no brand is visable. A brand inspection usually details what the brand sysmbols are and where they are located on the animal. If the animals has no brand it details all the markings, color, height, breed, scars etc. Just as a police officer may look for a felon by describing him as a White male about 30. 5'10" , 180lbs and a tatto that says Mom on his right upper arm and a "Z shaped" scar on his left palm.

In today's world a lot of us Kinder - Gentler folks don't want to brand and re-brand our horses with hot irons.  So the horse may have only one brand or no brand on it, but we posses some kind of ownership that proves we have bought and paid for the animal. Since bill of sales can be forged. A brand inspection is a way to get a more recognized form of ownership papers. Here you call the brand inspector, he comes out and inspects the animal. He diagrams the animals markings, looks at your bill of sale, auction reciept, registration papers etc and compares the horse to anything listed in the stolen horse list the state department of agriculture keeps. If everything checks out they send you a laminated piece of paper with a description of your horses markings, which may or may not include a brand.

This Brand Inspection, basically just says, I've had a state agent review my ownership, inspect the brand and verify that it's original.  Kinda like a title for a car.

If you bring an animal into an auction, You will have to prove you have the right to sell that animal. You would present your ownership papers (which may include a BI) and the State Brand Inspector would inspect the animal and make sure it is the animal described. Since brand inspections are usually registered with state agencys. States require you submit for for inspection before crossing state lines.  By this I mean a -BQ  brand on the left hip may be registered to Browning ranch in Utah, but the same -BQ  brand could be registered to the Bennett ranch in Colorado.  So by carrying a brand inspection with you, you basically make it much easier to prove your ownership. As a horse owner traveling from Tennesse to Wyoming, the Wyoming brand inspector has no idea what brands have been registered with the State of Tennesee Department of Agriculture. It could take days to get days to get information back from the Tennesee Department of Agriculture as to whether you really own a certain brand.

Here in Utah, all vehicles transporting livestock are required to stop at the Port of Entry. I think most states have similar laws. Its a $250 fine to not stop. If you stop they want to see your brand inspection, health certificate, coggins, they also casually look at your weight. They can and sometimes do give tickets for horse trailers being too heavy for the tow vehicle, or other safety issues.   But the highway patrol is usually not too worried about horses. When they have a line of semi's lined up on the scale.  Each semi is writting a check for $400 to $600. To miss collecting money from a semi, because they were fussing with a couple of horses is not in their interest. So the burden of checking usually falls on the Department of Agriculture, usually the Brand Inspector. They occassionally hang out at the Port of entry. I've seen them drop in on large equine events, ie Rodeos, Endurance races where they spot check.  And of course they are always present at any kind of livestock auction.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-10 11:01 AM (#76530 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

In Short - Don't leave home without one. At least if you're heading west.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-10 12:51 PM (#76541 - in reply to #74861)

Expert

Originally written by j&j on 2008-01-20 9:43 PM

You need not worry if you are not traveling through, SD (west of the MO River), WY, CO, CA(?), NV, MT, UT.  

Add NM to that list too. Every county has its own livestock inspector and you can stopped in each county you cross, not just at the state line.   

I've found the inspector in Dona Anna county to be quite thorough.  Right after we moved he stopped me and I'd never heard of travel papers.  They didn't tell me about it at the state POE, of course they didn't tell me anything except get out of the way, so he didn't give me a ticket, but he told me I need them and the next day called the live stock inspector in my county to make sure I'd made an appt and to let her know I didn't have papers if I hadn't.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-10 4:54 PM (#76557 - in reply to #74397)

Well I hope the Flying J is either getting some rebate on taxes or rent from the states that use them for brand inspections.  IMO that is a load of crap.  Reminds me of the old jokes about where to to find a policeman.....at the donut shop.    I could have understood it if they wanted us to stop at the state weigh station or something like that.....or is the Flying J  state property?  And what the h---l do I want with a plastic card mailed to my home long after the trip is over?  That assumes I will be traveling out west with my horse again.....NOT.

BBSmfg.....I did not miss anything.....I just do not like arid areas with bare rocks and 25 year old trees that are 2 feet tall.  Nor do I like manual pitcher water pumps that have to be primed (since I am physically unable to operate them).

The rampant poverty in SD, WY and CO was very sad to see....also the strip coal mines.....  JMO

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-10 5:44 PM (#76565 - in reply to #76557)

Expert

Well,Rose,you already live in one of the prettiest states in the union anyway.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-10 6:38 PM (#76569 - in reply to #74397)

CRG   why thank you ma'am....Arkansas is right darn pretty too......like to ride/camp there too!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-11 6:11 AM (#76588 - in reply to #76569)

Expert

I don't believe you'll have to have a brand inspection to drive here,or to leave either.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-11 9:31 AM (#76607 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

Rose, The SD Brand Inspectors will come out to many campgrounds as well as the Flying J in Rapid City. You get a temporary card on-the-spot that is good for 30 days. The permanent card is mailed to your home. Or, you can get a temporary card good for one year for 70 cents. There is also a mileage charge, so much per mile, that is added to the total. One reason we chose the Flying J is that we were stopping for fuel anyway. The mileage charge was about $1.40.

Too bad you had a bad experience. But, TN is a beautiful state to ride. We have often been through AR. It's beautiful and much closer to home. That's important with fuel costs over $3 and going up.

Edited by Cloud9 2008-02-11 3:39 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-11 10:16 AM (#76610 - in reply to #74397)

Cloud9   Let me refer you to Izzy's post as that explains it  better than I do.  Anyway I cannot see where there would be a lot of money in stolen horses and most thieves want to steal stuff they can readily turn into cash.....but what do I know.....most thieves are not over run with brain power either.....

Anyway, for me and mine, we will stay east of the Missouri River.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)