'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to draw the line at "updating" a LQ trailer??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-12 11:42 AM
9 replies, 4404 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jetgetset
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-12-12 12:21 AM (#72808)
Subject: Where to draw the line at "updating" a LQ trailer??

I bought a 94 sooner that already had a LQ conversion done in it. This was installed by factory or conversion company so it's done right. However it is "dated" It's small 4 foot short wall but has all the stuff one would need, shower, stool, ac, microwave, TV and so on.. Had some water damage under windows and other misc things that needed elbow grease or fixed.

I'm a little bit like a kid in a candy store, up until buying this trailer I was pulling an old UGLY stock trailer for years and ALWAYS went through Menards and Lowes going I would put this or that in a LQ trailer if I ever had one.. SOOOO NOW I have my chance! LOL

I keep getting this "your crazy" look or speech for wanting to update something that is already fine. However I got the trailer at a fixer upper price and have a little bit of room to work I think

I am putting faux leather on the walls, taking out some of the cabniets and then adding them in other places. Mirror on celing with LED lights.. Tin celing around the mirror, headboard, new trim and so on.. Actually it is turning out every bit as nice as one of the custom high dollar conversions, but it is costing a little bit of money! (spent $300 on the celing alone) LOL
Probably have $1-2K in the LQ to have it done up real nice, with high end quality items...

Is it crazy to put this high end of a conversion in such a small LQ in an older trailer??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-12-12 1:41 AM (#72809 - in reply to #72808)
Subject: RE: Where to draw the line at "updating" a LQ trailer??

Regular

Go for it... its your trailer  have fun with the remodeling, might not increase its value by as much as you spend on it but what the heck.. have fun,Hey nice web site  great what you're doing with the rescues...best wishes.. 

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 2:28 AM (#72811 - in reply to #72808)

Expert

Q: Where to draw the line at "updating" a LQ trailer??
A: When check book is empty???

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-12-12 8:44 AM (#72821 - in reply to #72811)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2007-12-12 2:28 AM

Q: Where to draw the line at "updating" a LQ trailer??
A: When check book is empty???

What he said.

Its your money, and your trailer. Why are you asking us?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 8:46 AM (#72822 - in reply to #72808)

Expert

Why should there be a limit on to how much enjoyment you are receiving from the conversion and the results? You are obviously proud of what you have accomplished.

If you are placing the value of the customizing of your trailer on its resale value, then economics would be an issue. However if its for your personal enjoyment, why should there be limits as long as you don't exceed your budget?

In my lifetime, I've seen the various resulting efforts of amateurs and professionals. In many cases, the only difference was the cost of the project, and many times, the amateur's skills far exceeded the "professional's".

You can make your older trailer a more enjoyable one to own than a new one. Look at the owners of older cars, whose restorations often end up with a vehicle whose character and beauty far exceeds any new offering.

I would say congratulations on taking a project like this on. The pride of ownership you will receive as a result, will reward you with every usage.

BOL  Gard 

Edited by gard 2007-12-12 9:13 AM
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-12-12 8:56 AM (#72823 - in reply to #72808)

Veteran

I'm so glad someone has started this thread, because I've had the same thought as you...we actually have a newer model - with a separate bunkhouse bedroom....my husband sleeps on this teeny bed! We have been thinking of seeing if Sundowner can put a slide in the bunkhouse - to turn his area at least into a full size bed! What the heck...we only go around once? Right?Has anyone ever added a slide?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 9:02 AM (#72824 - in reply to #72808)

Expert

Check with Harmer in IN. They work on every brand and can customize your trailer any way your budget will afford. There are many other conversion companies that can modify specific parts of a LQ. You are not limited to the original manufacturer.

BOL  Gard

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 10:23 AM (#72826 - in reply to #72808)

Elite Veteran

Definitley do what you want. It's yours! You are not trying to please anyone but yourself. If it was your home you probably wouldn't think twice about putting new carpet or paint. This is for your enjoyment and pride! Good luck!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-12-12 11:41 AM (#72831 - in reply to #72808)

Elite Veteran

This thread hits home!  My LQ is relatively new, but I told my husband, a finish carpenter, I wanted crown moulding and nicer bath hardware in the LQ.  He thinks I'm crazy.....It's "just" a horse trailer.   I took him to a dealer lot to see some high end conversions and he had an aha moment - I think he realized he is getting off easy with just crown and hardware.  I'm hoping to get crown for Christmas ;-)

A Friend In PA
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 11:42 AM (#72832 - in reply to #72808)

Always remember...this is NOT a dress rehersal. This life we are living is the real thing. You won't get a second chance. ENJOY IT (and keep us posted on your progress - I may get some ideas for my own upgrade!)53
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)