'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shavings in trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-14 9:20 AM
30 replies, 10487 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrbotat
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 2:09 PM (#71088 - in reply to #70898)
Subject: RE: Shavings in trailers

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 2:25 PM (#71089 - in reply to #71086)

Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2007-11-13 1:59 PM

"Wood Pellets"? You talkin about the kind that the Tractor Supply sell to burn in a wood heater?
Well, they are the same, but different.  Pellets for horses are broken down much smaller to alleviate the sliding and the "marbles on the floor" effect that the larger wood burning pellets could cause.  Regardless, both types are great products for bedding - super absorbent and easy to work with.  I don't use them anymore because I get 6 yards of shavings for $30 delivered now. 

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-13 3:57 PM (#71101 - in reply to #71087)

Veteran

Saw the concern re species of trees for the sawdust. We use only oak or maple. We have been warned to never use walnut. The local mills only saw oak and maple so its not a problem and its course sawdust because of the circular saw blades. Bandsaw mill sawdust is way too fine.
Thats all most use here locally for stall bedding. Its cheap, 5-10bucks a full pu truck load and that is enough for 4-5 stalls for a few weeks if you keep them clean every day. It makes good liner for the horse trailer although if you keep the same bedding (of any kind) there for a long while it gets dry/dusty/moldy etc. We usually change it out every long trip. You can also dampen it down with a water hose a little to cut down on the dust.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 12:59 AM (#71131 - in reply to #70898)

Expert

Its BLACK Walnut that is the dangerous wood...

Black walnut shavings and wood chips contain the toxin juglone that is suspected to be a principal agent in causing laminitis. This is a problem to horses if they contact or eat the shavings. However, the toxicity apparently only occurs if the black walnut shavings are fresh. If they are well seasoned, then the toxicity is negligible.

http://www.thehorse.com/Search.aspx?tbKeyword=Which+Trees+are+toxic

Oak Trees

Oak trees--more specifically, their acorns, buds, leaves, or blossoms--are toxic to all livestock, including horses. Oak poisoning is not very common in horses, but is seen more commonly in cattle and sheep, which are less discriminate eaters. The acorns, leaves, and blossoms contain tannins, which when digested are converted into toxic metabolites inside the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants and horses.

Horses with oak poisoning can develop colic and bloody diarrhea. They also develop renal disease as the toxic metabolites of the tannins damage the horse's kidneys. Treatment of oak poisoning is aimed at maintaining hydration with intravenous fluids and protecting kidney function. The good news is that horses must eat a large quantity of acorns to become ill. Prevention is better than treatment--remove oak trees from your pastures or paddocks.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=3058&kw=poisonous%20plants

Then scroll thru the list for the following...

Poisonous Plants

May 01 2001, Article # 3058

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-11-14 1:17 AM
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 9:06 AM (#71160 - in reply to #70898)

Regular

I use the Mallard Creek Pellets. My experience is that the pellets have much less waste, absorb the ammonia in the urine and are easier to pick through than shavings. In my opinion, they are far superior, but you must follow the directions on the bag. I have a 4H GN and I put 6 bags of pellets in the trailer and when you get them wet and fluff them up, it results in about a 4-5" layer on the floor. No complaints.
mrbotat
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 9:20 AM (#71162 - in reply to #70898)

Hank --- wish I could get 6 yards of sawdust for $30

Our closest mill will still delive.  10 yds and now is $75!  I think I need to buy my own trailer and go get it myself.  $20 if you pick it up yourself!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)