'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
American Horse Council - Your Unified Voice in Washington

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-12 12:42 AM
21 replies, 6640 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-06 9:35 AM (#70544)
Subject: American Horse Council - Your Unified Voice in Washington

Veteran

American Horse Council Press Releases
http://www.horsecouncil.org/pressreleases/releasesindex.html

Edited by KCW 2007-11-06 9:39 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-06 10:14 AM (#70548 - in reply to #70544)
Subject: RE: American Horse Council - Your Unified Voice in Washington

Expert

The AHC,through its' Equine Species Working Group,is a supporter of the National Animal Identification System.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-06 10:46 PM (#70596 - in reply to #70548)

Expert

Is national animal identification a bad thing? With the possible of an out - break would it be good to know were it started? -and from who?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 9:14 AM (#70612 - in reply to #70596)

Expert

Yes,it would be,if that were the USDA's only agenda.But that is not all that NAIDS is about.

I suggest going to the grassroot's organization website www.libertyark.net for the true story.I am surprised that more people on HTW have not addressed this.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-11-07 12:14 PM (#70622 - in reply to #70544)

Veteran

crowleysridgegirl,

Thanks for posting that site!  Great info!  We all need to start banding together to fight NAIS and to educate our NON-animal/livestock friends and family who would be fooled by the backers of NAIS.  BEFORE it's too late.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 12:24 PM (#70623 - in reply to #70622)

Expert

Well I am certainly glad to see somebody agrees with this and is not wanting to start a fight over it to the detriment of horse owners.ALthough I imagine someone that is well meaning but ill informed will add to this before long.

All a person has to do is read this site,plus others,to see the true agenda of the USDA through National Animal Identification.Their goal is to track the movement everywhere of everyone's livestock,horses included.They initially proposed (and will still push through if they get their way) to have every "farm" or even your own back yard 1-2 acres numbered with a farm ID ,then require you to microchip your horses,then require you to call some giant unseen entity to report each time you took your animals off of your premises. I mean EACH time.

They are starting to come to the realization that Americans have freedoms that they are not willing to blindly reliquish to government that professes to "know what is best" for them.There is a Freedom to Farm bill that has a big impact on the NAIDS in my home state.

Don't take my word for it if you don't believe me.Do your own research and arrive at your own conclusions.I can't help but feel that horse owners as a group will agree that we don't want to make a phone call to tell anybody we are going on a trail ride,right?

captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-07 5:01 PM (#70639 - in reply to #70544)

Veteran

If NAIDS was to pass, I would have had to call in 3 times today already!! Absolutly insane. After the "premisis ID" you can bet a tax or fee will follow just to pay for this monster.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 6:05 PM (#70641 - in reply to #70639)

Expert

And not just one tax/fee,either.THe ones that stand to profit are the ones pushing for it.Especially all the microchip folks that came out of the woodwork to lobby for NAIDS.

Imagine the sheer amount of record keeping and tax money involved to have a 24 hour monitoring system in place if you were required to report movement of your animals? It has been determined that it would be the biggest record keeping system the government has EVER encountered.

I'm certainly not for it.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-11-07 6:10 PM (#70642 - in reply to #70544)

Veteran

http://www.alternet.org/rights/62858/

(excert)   Such industrialized meat producers as Cargill and Tyson have three reasons to love NAIS. First, the scheme fits their operations to a T, not only because they are already thoroughly computerized, but also because they engineered a neat corporate loophole: If an entity owns a vertically integrated, birth-to-death factory system with thousands of animals (as the Cargills and Tysons do), it does not have to tag and track each one but instead is given a single lot number to cover the whole flock or herd. Second, it's no accident that NAIS will be so burdensome and costly (fees, tags, computer equipment, time) to small farmers and ranchers. The giant operators are happy to see these pesky competitors saddled with another reason to go out of business, thus leaving even more of the market to the big guys.

I wonder if John Q Public has stopped to think just how much MORE expensive food will become when it's completely monopolized by a few big corporations?  There were some other good points in that article. 

Unfortunately, I think that all the info out there has been so difficult to trudge through (the stuff that actually talks about what NAIS "really" is) or has been so watered down that the average person out there doesn't think it will affect them. 

(excerpt)

Third, the Cargills and Tysons are eager to assure Japan, Europe and other export customers that the U.S. meat industry is finally doing something to clean up the widespread contamination of its product. A national animal-tracking system would give the appearance of doing this without making the corporations incur the cost of a real cleanup. The health claims of NAIS are a sham; NAIS backers assumed they could sneak their little package of nasties past the people before anyone woke up. Wrong. Because it does not touch the source of E. coli, salmonella, listeria, mad cow and other common meat-borne diseases. Such contamination comes from the inherently unhealthy practices (mass crowding, growth stimulants, feeding regimens, rushed assembly lines, poor sanitation, etc.) of industrial-scale meat operations, and NAIS will do nothing to stop these practices. Moreover, tracking ends at the time of slaughter, and it's from slaughter onward that most spoilage occurs. NAIS doesn't trace any contamination after this final '"event" in the animals' lives.

HUMMMMM........

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 6:33 PM (#70643 - in reply to #70642)

Expert

Wendy,thanks a bunch for posting that,further clarifying what NAIDS is about.

In the grain farming business all of my life,first as daughter of a small rice/soybean farmer and now involved in the operation myself,I can tell you exactly what has happened in our sector echoing what you stated about food prices soaring when a few big boys are naming their prices.("Middlemen.")

We have seen this for one example that has put a lot of us over a barrel.Used to be a farmer could hold back a select seed variety for planting the next year if that seed was disease resistant,good yielding and hardy.This practice has been stopped.Now the god of seed companies,Monsanto who recently purchased Delta Pine & Land Company,Cargill and the like tell US what we can plant.Resulting in varieties that are sensitive to weather patterns that are off the chart and other maladies.

Welcome to the new world of freedom.I'd still rather live in America than anywhere else there is,that is a certainty,before some military minded folks jump me as the guy did (or tried to) in the recent thread about "Trouble Hauling Across Iowa." But if you think for one second you are free to do as you please even in an honest occupation such as we run,think again.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 6:36 PM (#70644 - in reply to #70642)

Expert

Originally written by wendmil on 2007-11-07 6:10 PM

I wonder if John Q Public has stopped to think just how much MORE expensive food will become when it's completely monopolized by a few big corporations?  There were some other good points in that article. 

It's already happening.Check out the prices of groceries especially milk,meat and the like.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-09 11:06 PM (#70816 - in reply to #70644)

Expert

I think it is about taxes ,I know they say it is not but???? If they  think that all farmer are not  on to them they should think again the cost of shush record keeping would be put on the small farmer I just joined the farm bureau in my state to help fight this
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 4:36 AM (#70819 - in reply to #70816)

Expert

Be sure to join the Liberty Ark Coalition,it is free and they have strong support going.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 5:43 AM (#70820 - in reply to #70544)

Elite Veteran

Wow........I've heard a few things on this subject but never has it hit me until now. I'm not agreeing with this at all.

Edited by Gone 2007-11-10 5:53 AM
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-10 8:08 AM (#70824 - in reply to #70544)

Veteran

can you get us more contact/info on the Liberty Ark Cooilition?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 9:31 AM (#70830 - in reply to #70824)

Expert

Their website is:http://www.libertyark.net

They are the unified voice in Washington for those of us that are opposed to a National Animal Identification System involving horses.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-11-10 9:37 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 9:36 AM (#70831 - in reply to #70830)

Expert

And KCW,didn't mean to hijack your thread about the American Horse Council,but just wanted others on this forum to be aware of their position on NAIS.If anyone wants further information from this point,you can PM me here.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-11-10 9:39 AM
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-10 10:38 AM (#70833 - in reply to #70831)

Veteran

crowleysridgegirl,

Your input is always very welcome!
Feel free to post whatever you want,
enjoyed your comments.

KCW

Edited by KCW 2007-11-10 11:23 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 10:49 AM (#70834 - in reply to #70833)

Expert

Thank you very much.
olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-11-11 10:57 AM (#70881 - in reply to #70544)

Regular

Thanks, KCW and crowleyridgegirl, for the reminders!

I have been a member of our state Horse Council for MANY years. I also have heard and read about NAIS, but had 'dropped it off my radar' for awhile--and it should NOT be forgotten about! I just went and forwarded the Liberty Ark web address to a bunch of horse people on my address list, with hopes they will take it as seriously as it NEEDS to be taken!

Margo(aka olehossgal) in NM

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-11 8:28 PM (#70912 - in reply to #70881)

Expert

That's exactly what the USDA is hoping you and everyone else will do,just sort of forget it while they lay low and proceed to get ready to shove their invasive agendas down our throats .after the fact that we're no longer able to do anything about it.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 12:42 AM (#70918 - in reply to #70642)

Expert

Originally written by wendmil on 2007-11-07 6:10 PM

http://www.alternet.org/rights/62858/

(excert)   Such industrialized meat producers as Cargill and Tyson have three reasons to love NAIS. First, the scheme fits their operations to a T, not only because they are already thoroughly computerized, but also because they engineered a neat corporate loophole: If an entity owns a vertically integrated, birth-to-death factory system with thousands of animals (as the Cargills and Tysons do), it does not have to tag and track each one but instead is given a single lot number to cover the whole flock or herd. Second, it's no accident that NAIS will be so burdensome and costly (fees, tags, computer equipment, time) to small farmers and ranchers. The giant operators are happy to see these pesky competitors saddled with another reason to go out of business, thus leaving even more of the market to the big guys.

Unfortunately, I think that all the info out there has been so difficult to trudge through (the stuff that actually talks about what NAIS "really" is) or has been so watered down that the average person out there doesn't think it will affect them. 

(excerpt)

Third, the Cargills and Tysons are eager to assure Japan, Europe and other export customers that the U.S. meat industry is finally doing something to clean up the widespread contamination of its product. A national animal-tracking system would give the appearance of doing this without making the corporations incur the cost of a real cleanup. The health claims of NAIS are a sham; NAIS backers assumed they could sneak their little package of nasties past the people before anyone woke up. Wrong. Because it does not touch the source of E. coli, salmonella, listeria, mad cow and other common meat-borne diseases. Such contamination comes from the inherently unhealthy practices (mass crowding, growth stimulants, feeding regimens, rushed assembly lines, poor sanitation, etc.) of industrial-scale meat operations, and NAIS will do nothing to stop these practices. Moreover, tracking ends at the time of slaughter, and it's from slaughter onward that most spoilage occurs. NAIS doesn't trace any contamination after this final '"event" in the animals' lives.

HUMMMMM........

It's already happened... think back to the 1980s...

http://www.rrojasdatabank.org/agrib1.htm

Anyone here everheard of...Lonrho???

Lonrho, the London-based transnational comprising over 800 companies
operating in over 80 countries. Its principal activities embrace mining
and refining of minerals, manufacturing, general trade, agriculture,
motoring and equipment, distribution, and financial services.

Wholly-owned subsidiaries are in the U.K., Angola, Belgium, Bermuda,
France, Kenya, Luxembourg, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Nigeria,
South Africa, Swaziland, Switzerland, Tanzania, U.S.A., Germany, Zambia,
and Zimbabwe.

Agriculture and mining concerns are mainly in Africa. Lonrho is Africa's
largest food producing company, with a ranch and crop cultivation spread
of over a million and a half acres, a total herd of 125,000 head and
seven sugar plantations, which in the late 1980s were producing half a
million tonnes. Major crops are maize and wheat, tea, coffee, chilies,
macadamia and cashew nuts, palm oil, and cotton lint. Some cattle
interests are in the U.S.. Mining and refining in Africa includes gold,
platinum, copper, coal, and asbestos. A joint venture with the