'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone ride in a RL Watson Saddle?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-02 11:25 PM
11 replies, 12784 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-24 10:55 AM (#66395)
Subject: Anyone ride in a RL Watson Saddle?

Elite Veteran

Getting ready to order a RL Watson Continental CT saddle for my MFT. Have tried my neighbors RL Watson Arizona and it fits her and I like the lower seat rise, but was wondering if anyone has ridden a RL Watson for several hours, 3+? Any issues with sore backs etc. Still not 100% sure on this flex-panel design.

I ordered a Dixieland saddle for her in the Spring, which fits her great, but it has too much rise in the seat for my comfort and it is a bit heavy for me place on her back easily. She grew taller than I was expecting.  The allure of fitting more than one horse is appealing too, but does anyone out there ride different breeds/saddle fit type and get along with correct fit too like they claim?

Edited by ponytammy 2007-08-24 1:04 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-24 10:16 PM (#66431 - in reply to #66395)
Subject: RE: Anyone ride in a RL Watson Saddle?

Before you order a saddle, you may wish to look at www.nationalbridle.com  They now have their used saddles up on the website....and you can arrange a try out with those....I have 2 of their Tennessean tree saddles and have found them to be acceptable on a quarter horse that we have as well as our twh.  My current favorite saddle is the endurance by Big Horn made on the Tennessean tree, made for NBS.  They are mostly horse people and if you telephone, they are very helpful.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 11:57 PM (#66814 - in reply to #66395)

Extreme Veteran

I have an RL Watson saddle... I ride endurance and have decided the saddle is not working for my horse.  His withers have big white patches now, and I have been unable to adjust the saddle back or forward without causing some kind of issue for him.  I orderded a treeless saddle and it'll be here in 2 weeks.  I tried one out and it was wonderful for him.  I do not think any saddle will work for every horse.  It could be a combination of how he moves and how I ride.  Bottom line is that it is hurting him so it has to go.    He finished his last ride with the treeless saddle, in A+ shape!  His back was not sore at all which made me very happy.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-08-30 6:44 AM (#66823 - in reply to #66395)

Elite Veteran

Cowgirl.......Do you ride an Arab? I have that problem with only the withers having dry spots on both sides. Wider tree and or wider gullet?

Edited by Gone 2007-08-30 6:45 AM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-09-04 8:32 PM (#67177 - in reply to #66395)

Extreme Veteran

We have 3 of them. I don't believe you can beat a well made flex panel saddle. They are the only design that moves with the movement of the horse's back.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2007-09-17 9:32 PM
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-09-06 4:12 PM (#67352 - in reply to #66395)

Veteran

Ortho-flex saddles are my hobby.  I have seven Arabian horses.  These saddles solved alot of my comfort issues and behavior issues for my horses, however-- I prefer the old system 1 saddles.  I have had the problem of dry spots corresponding to where the flex hardware attaches on the front with two of my horses, unless I use the system 1.  I have an old Caliente with this system that fits all my horses and a Traditional that they like but it's a bit too small for me.  RL Watson uses a modifyed version of the system 2.  Great saddle maker! Great quality and a nice girth system-- but it is really hard to beat an old Ortho-flex with the centerfire rigging. I have an Ortho-flex trail pardner and my Traditional up on ebay now if you're interested. 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-07 7:38 AM (#67394 - in reply to #66395)

Expert

I too, have an older Caliente, not a Watson, but closest I can compare.  Works well on my 24 yr old gelding (imagine his back) as well as a mutton withered mule.    It is a system 1 and does work well, hope this info helps some...
NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 1:38 PM (#67415 - in reply to #66395)

Out of curiosity, have you happened to look at the Parelli Fluidlity saddles?  Parelli has 3 tpes of saddles:  an english, a western, and a working western with slick forks and a working horn.  These are very light, leather saddles and the real fit secret is the pad concept.  It is made in conjuction with the Thermarest company (maker of pads for backpackers to sleep on) and a shim set of pads to build up the front of the saddle to keep it level on the horse just behind the shoulder blades.  I have a Arab gelding that I was having a heck of a time fitting up and finally ended up with a Tucker endurance saddle (for fit and weight) and went through a 1/2 dozen pads before my wife bought me the Parell pad.  Amazing difference in fit and performance and the horse moves better.  I am not sure what type of riding you do, but it may be worth a look and save money over time in saddles / pads that just don't seem to fit right.  Maybe just the pad will solve the problem and not have to buy a new saddle??
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 6:29 AM (#67449 - in reply to #66395)

Veteran

We both have RL Watson saddles. We ride long hours and camp for weeks at a time and our horses (TWH)show no signs of soreness. They move out great with these saddles. As far as comfort, I love this saddle!

j&j
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-11 4:33 PM (#67682 - in reply to #66395)

Elite Veteran

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a RL Watson Continental CT. Tried out my neighbors RL Watson Arizona a few more times and it seemed to work well for both my Old Arab and Young MFT. For those of you that reponded with the Orthoflex thumbs-up, Richard Watson was one of the original saddle makers when Orthoflex was made in Missouri. Thanks to all who replied. Can't wait to try it out on the trails later this fall.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 10:54 PM (#68974 - in reply to #67682)

Extreme Veteran

Just curious as to what you think of your saddle.  I wrote on the thread a few months ago, and yes, I do ride an Arab.  His withers were getting really big wihte patches.  The saddle seller suggest that I move the saddle forward due to the horse having sore loins after an endurance ride... on one side the patches were getting calloused so I stopped riding in that saddle.  There was no perfect position for me to get that saddle to fit him.  It was frustrating because I really liked the saddle and it was very comfortable, but it was not a good fit for my horse.  A friend put the saddle on him with no pad and said the saddle was not level on both sides, ie, it obviously put more pressure on one side than the other just resting on his back.  So either my horse is very uneven, or the saddle is.

I have been using a Sensation Treeless Hybrid for a few months now and so far it is working out great for my horse.  I think I might need a crupper to keep it right where it needs to be.  I love the way it feels when riding... you can feel the horse moving under you.  I can tell when my horse is tense and hollows his back when he raises his head up... that will cause a sore back if I don't address it.  I can also tell when he brings his back up under the saddle the way he should which helps me keep him sound.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-11-02 11:25 PM (#70416 - in reply to #66395)

Elite Veteran

Got my RL Watson Continental PT saddle 4 weeks ago and have been using it extensively on my MFT and QH and a little bit on the old Arab. All I can say is that the saddle is awesome for my MFT and QH.

I am truely impressed with the comfort and fit of this saddle. The seat rise in this model is perfect for riding gaited horses... it has a low rise which helps with chaffing. I also really like the narrow twist. I can actually feel my horses now.... much better than a traditional western saddle that I have been using. The craftsmanship and leather quality is excellent also. And even though the saddle is new, there is no squeaking. And the best part of all is it fits my horses very well and I can actually lift the saddle onto my MFT mare without getting winded. The only thing I would change is I would like to see the dropped rigging also be adjustable for length and not just for girth position. I had to go to a 26" girth which was hard to find in neoprene to get the right fit around my young MFT.

I have had no dry spot issues as the previous poster has stated. Richard Watson will work with you to make sure the fit is appropriate for your horse. I would contact him and see what can be done to correct your issue.

Edited by ponytammy 2007-11-02 11:29 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)