'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Roof insulation on alum. trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-11 10:17 AM
6 replies, 3204 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 7:50 PM (#67618)
Subject: Roof insulation on alum. trailers

Regular

I've done a search and read through all the posts I could find here on this, but I still can't make up my mind about it. I'm ordering a new trailer from 4 Star so this is my opportunity to have a factory insulation job done. I don't want to have to do this later myself, but am really not sure how useful/necessary insulation might be in central coast Calif. Most people do not have it here, but I might haul inland to parts of Calif. where it gets much hotter in the summertime. I'm getting extra roof vents and dropdowns all around, so as long as the trailer is moving I think it should not get too uncomfortable in the horse area ... but what about when the trailer is stopped for gas, rest, or traffic? It will add about $1,000 to the cost of the trailer to insulate it, second only to the cost of the WERM option. Don't want to get it if it's not necessary, but don't want to cheap out on the horses' comfort either. Thoughts, anyone?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-10 7:53 PM (#67619 - in reply to #67618)
Subject: RE: Roof insulation on alum. trailers

Expert

Absolutely, best money ever spent.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 9:00 PM (#67622 - in reply to #67618)

Regular

I also agree, the money that is spent on insulation is the best that can be spent. Not only does it make the trailer cooler it makes it much quieter.

However $1,000 for roof insulation only seems a bit high to me. Now insulation and ceiling panels is a different story.

I would think that you could do an insulation only job yourself, walls and ceiling in a day for about $300-$400.

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 12:32 AM (#67635 - in reply to #67622)

Regular

Thanks, all. Guess I will go for it. Everything done at the factory is more expensive than DIY but in this case I'm certain the job they'll do will be a lot better (and look a lot better) than what I would do. ;) There are a few things I plan to do myself, based on some good dealer advice, but insulation and WERM are not those things. I want them both in there from the get-go because there's no telling when the job will get done if it's waiting on me to do it. (I know myself too well, LOL.)
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-11 6:33 AM (#67638 - in reply to #67618)

Elite Veteran

Mine came with it and I'm glad.  On those cold nights I find the whole trailer stays warmer and you don't get condensation on the roof dripping down into the horse area which I often keep hay in during the campout.
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 8:42 AM (#67648 - in reply to #67618)

Regular

Living in Monterey, heat may not be as much of an issue as if you were living in the valley. That being said, invest the extra $ for the roof insulation. It also quiets the ride some, and will add resale value to the trailer should you decide to sell. Also, get the WERM installed, this will make your life so much easier and will protect your aluminum floor (again adding resale value). You will love the combo! Just my 2 cents!
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 10:17 AM (#67654 - in reply to #67618)

Elite Veteran

Go ahead and have 4 Star do it. Contrary to what you may be thinking, they'll insulate the roof, then skin it with another layer of aluminum, and then trim the edges. Very materials & labor intensive. If I were doing it, I'd make sure the upper .5 of the sidewalls are done to get that totally finished appearance. Also much easier to clean!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)