'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Firestone tires WARNING

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-11 9:33 PM
19 replies, 6569 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-06 9:27 AM (#67328)
Subject: Firestone tires WARNING

Expert

This weekend my family and I were driving back from an OH horseshow. At 65 mph while passing a semi on a four lane highway, our left front tire blew out. The explosion lifted the front of the truck off the ground, we jack knifed twice, slid a long way and finally came to rest in the median unharmed. Only the fact that we were pulling a long heavy trailer with good brakes, kept us straight enough to keep from rolling when we were sliding sideways. My wife, daughter, two dogs and one horse were quite shaken but uninjured. It was quite a ride.

Our truck tires were Firestone Steeltex Radial AT tires 265 75 16 e range. They were inflated to 80 psi and this was checked aprox 3 hrs before the accident. The air temp at the time was aprox 75 degrees in the evening. The road way was recently repaved and was in very good repair.

I found out that through the NHTSA website that these tires were recalled when installed on Ford Excursions vehicles, but NOT on oem equipped Ford pickups.

In many conversations with various telephone representatives of Firestone, they are denying any responsibility for the accident. Yesterday our local Firestone dealer tried his best to convince his powers to be that they had a liability issue and all five tires should be changed at 29k miles. He determined the thread had separated, and the blowout was not caused by striking any object.

Firestone has denied any and all solutions and any further involvement. My follow up conversation with their consumer affairs person this morning met with the same results. I then told her that this would become a legal matter, when I would initiate litigation for not only the cost of the tires, but the destroyed wheel well, the bumper and suspension damage, tow truck fees and my cost for legal representation. Her reply was in effect, "do what you have to do"

If any other member of this forum have vehicles equipped with these tires, I would seriously consider your safety in a continued use of them. If any of you have had any problems with this brand, I would appreciate hearing from you.

My truck as of yesterday now has BF Goodrich tires with road hazzard warranties and a lifetime service contract.

Best of luck

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-09-06 3:16 PM (#67348 - in reply to #67328)
Subject: RE: Firestone tires WARNING

Regular

I think you have a good solid case. My neighbor up the road from me went through a similar deal, except he just blew a tire on his trailer. This incident did damage to the rim and trailer fender and the tire company denied the claim and first verbally. Once they saw the tire and damage to the trailer, tire company paid for all damages. These tires were several years old, but less then 6 month's in use. I am certain once they see the letterhead from an attorney, they will pay.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-09-06 4:05 PM (#67351 - in reply to #67328)

Extreme Veteran

Be sure to file a formal complaint with NHTSA about the tire and what happened with all the details.  This will also give you some leverage against Firestone since it will be on record with the feds.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-06 6:22 PM (#67357 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

I didn't think 80 psi was recomended on front axels or at least I've never seen 80 on any door jam for fronts in a 16 inch tire.Thought it was 65? 80 is only on the weight bearing at max load.(rears) Won;t have much bearing on a tire seperation but it just might on how big a bang it has when coming apart.My 17s on my dually only calls for 65 front fully loaded.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-06 9:09 PM (#67369 - in reply to #67357)

Veteran

I have ran 3 sets of these tires on my f350 hauling a 4 horse slant with no problems...but I never feel comfortable with this SRW truck...I usually set pressure right at 80psi also.  I dont recall hearing many issues on the web pages from folks who tow with these type issues with the steeltex tires.  One never knows.  Good luck with trying to get some warrenty from the manufacturer...probably going to be a battle...keep us posted.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-07 4:49 AM (#67391 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

What was the "build date" on those tires? Were they 5, 6, 7 years old?
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-09-07 10:36 AM (#67404 - in reply to #67357)

Originally written by hounddog on 2007-09-06 6:22 PM

I didn't think 80 psi was recomended on front axels or at least I've never seen 80 on any door jam for fronts in a 16 inch tire.Thought it was 65? 80 is only on the weight bearing at max load.(rears) Won;t have much bearing on a tire seperation but it just might on how big a bang it has when coming apart.My 17s on my dually only calls for 65 front fully loaded.

My Silverado 1500HD calls for 70 front and 80 rear.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-07 6:45 PM (#67441 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

Bet the 1500 Chevy has a differant size tire and a whole differant load range. My dually cals for 65 front MAX. The 93 W250 I owned with LT235/85/16 Load Range D? also called for max 65 front.Max on rears fully loaded calls for 80 as well as the 03.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 3:36 PM (#67470 - in reply to #67328)

Veteran

This is one reason why I won't run Firestone tires again.  I've run Bridgestone Heavy Duty/Commercial tires with no problem (aren't they the same!?!?) and prefer Coopers when I can get them (for the 3/4 ton truck and passenger car; haven't looked to see what Cooper has for commercial grade tires.)

My '06 Dodge has Generals... Never would have put them on a truck, but they seem to be holding up fine at 17,000 miles.

Sorry to hear of your accident.  GOOD LUCK with your case--Firestone needs to come clean about problems with their tires, if you can indeed prove they still have trouble (sounds like you can...)

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-09-08 3:44 PM
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 3:56 PM (#67472 - in reply to #67328)

Regular

Hey glad you guys are OK ... seem to remember something a few years ago about ford explorers and firestone tires???  
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-08 10:27 PM (#67492 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2007-09-06 10:27 AM

This weekend my family and I were driving back from an OH horseshow. At 65 mph while passing a semi on a four lane highway, our left front tire blew out. The explosion lifted the front of the truck off the ground, we jack knifed twice, slid a long way and finally came to rest in the median unharmed. Only the fact that we were pulling a long heavy trailer with good brakes, kept us straight enough to keep from rolling when we were sliding sideways. My wife, daughter, two dogs and one horse were quite shaken but uninjured. It was quite a ride.

Our truck tires were Firestone Steeltex Radial AT tires 265 75 16 e range. They were inflated to 80 psi and this was checked aprox 3 hrs before the accident. The air temp at the time was aprox 75 degrees in the evening. The road way was recently repaved and was in very good repair.

I found out that through the NHTSA website that these tires were recalled when installed on Ford Excursions vehicles, but NOT on oem equipped Ford pickups.

In many conversations with various telephone representatives of Firestone, they are denying any responsibility for the accident. Yesterday our local Firestone dealer tried his best to convince his powers to be that they had a liability issue and all five tires should be changed at 29k miles. He determined the thread had separated, and the blowout was not caused by striking any object.

Firestone has denied any and all solutions and any further involvement. My follow up conversation with their consumer affairs person this morning met with the same results. I then told her that this would become a legal matter, when I would initiate litigation for not only the cost of the tires, but the destroyed wheel well, the bumper and suspension damage, tow truck fees and my cost for legal representation. Her reply was in effect, "do what you have to do"

If any other member of this forum have vehicles equipped with these tires, I would seriously consider your safety in a continued use of them. If any of you have had any problems with this brand, I would appreciate hearing from you.

My truck as of yesterday now has BF Goodrich tires with road hazzard warranties and a lifetime service contract.

Best of luck

You may want to post over here...

http://www0.epinions.com/Firestone_Steeltex_Radial_R4S_Truck_SUV_Tire/display_~reviews

You were correct on the recall...

Bridgestone announced an additional Steeltex tire recall. Data generated by 6 accidents, 5 fatalities, and 20 injuries triggered the new NHTSA early warning system. The system, which was established by recent federal reporting requirements, linked 2000-2003 Ford Excursion SUVs with Firestone Steeltex Radial A/T tires. There are about 80,000 Excursion’s involved with a cost of $30 million to conduct the recall. These tire failures involved several factors:  under inflation, overloading, hot operating conditions, and high speed driving. Bridgestone estimates there are almost 300,000 tires involved that could suffer from blowouts or sidewall failures. Free tire inspection and/or replacements are available at any Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, or Firestone tire dealers. Just for the record, the fatality count associated with the earlier recall of Firestone tires and Ford Explorer rollovers has reached 271 deaths so far. 5

http://www.motorwatch.com/safety/images/2004-03+04.pdf

What has the attorney had to say?

It seems that this should be a contingency fee type of case...i.e. you don't have to pay up front but the attorney gets the lion's share of the winnings, if you win...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-09-08 10:48 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 9:44 AM (#67497 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

As a follow up to my earlier posting, Friday I spoke with my attorney about the Firestone issue. He welcomed the opportunity to address my problem as he already was representing other people who have had problems with Firestone tires. Most cases like this are handled on a contingincy basis, whether individually or in a class action.

My truck is a Ford super duty 4x4 with PSD. The dealer recommends because of the heavily loaded front end that the tires be run at the max tire inflation of 80 psi when pulling a heavy trailer. I have a single wheel rear axle.

BTW the tires on the Explorer were the "P" series and not the "LT" tires used on heavier pick ups. These are common to suvs, and not to trucks.

Thank you for all of your responses. This sounds as if it might become an interesting process as the lawsuit progresses.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 9:40 PM (#67551 - in reply to #67497)

Expert

The dealer recommends because of the heavily loaded front end that the tires be run at the max tire inflation of 80 psi when pulling a heavy trailer. I have a single wheel rear axle.

You want to get that in writing!!!

I get the feeling this might be another pissing contest between Ford and Firestone, with each trying to push the liability on to the other...

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 10:00 PM (#67556 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

All of the big three diesels are a heavy loaded front end but I've never seen a door jam thats said 80psi in FRONTS max load.80psi is one rough ride in fronts as well as hard on front end parts.

kid lena
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 7:42 AM (#67567 - in reply to #67328)

I have run firestone tires in the past, never had a problem with them on three different f350s DRW. I always run mine at 80 psi. I deal with a guy here that has a large tire wholesale business as well as commercial tire recapping facility. Very knowledgable about tires. He recommends running load range E tires at 75-80 psi no matter what you are hauling, if your rig requires load range E tires I assume you are not just getting groceries. Tires run at their recommended pressures operate cooler than at lower than recommended pressures. The recommended pressures on the vehicle door jam is not necessarily the recommended pressure of the tire manufacturer. As long as you don't exceed the tire manufacturer max recommended pressure, I say that the tire manufacturer should be more knowledgable than the car dealer. I also feel that the tire manu. is at fault if your tires came apart at 17k miles. I no longer run firestone, not because I had problems with them but because my local dealer no longer carried them. If I recall Ford and Firestone could not agree who was responsible for the tire problems and I think the recommended pressures had a lot to do with this. Ford recommends a lower pressure on the tires than the tire manufacturer almost exclusively no matter who the manufacturer is, if it is michelin, bfgoodrich, general, or who. I think it all has to do with ride quality and not so much as safety.
Thank God you all were O.K.
I hope you get this problem taken care of.
God bless and good luck.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 8:19 AM (#67569 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

Don't wanna take away from the orignal post and I am glad no injurys.BUT(and I'm not always correct)I spent 30 odd years in auto repair.Including 3 years with Firstone Tire and Rubber USA(back with Radial 500s!) Fully aware of tire loads/psi/door jams.The only times I've had anyone advise 80psi front or 80 psi rear on the size tires being discussed is some one that dosen't have a clue to weight,inflation ratios etc.Try 80 psi front and test drive it on a rough road without a kidney belt and watch tire wear(will be center only) As a truck is loaded its NOT the front taking the load.A dually NEVER needs max inflation REAR unless fully loaded.Lots of guys I know UNLOADED on duallys run between 50 and 60 unloaded rear as I do.SRW I will inflate rear to 80 psi lots quicker then a dually for obvisous reasons.Try reading and posting on a truck forum(dodge,G.M.or Ford) and see what the majority of the answers are.Its not 80 psi all around.
kid lena
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 2:13 PM (#67602 - in reply to #67328)

I don't claim to be an expert on tires or trucks but I can tell you that I have hauled several thousand miles with tires inflated both ways. I get better tire wear at 75 psi than I did at 55 psi which a previous dealer had me hauling with. My tires got much hotter and the outer edge wore off much faster than the center even on the rear duals which we all know normally wear fairly even. My front tires wear much better now that I run 75 psi. I do not rotate my tires now that Ford has come out with the polished aluminum wheels as you have to dismount and remount the tires to rotate them. I still routinely get 50k miles out of a set of tires. I pull a 17000 lb gooseneck. I was pulling a 12000 lb GN running 55 psi and I got around 40K miles and that was rotating the tires at 10k miles. I am not going to take the time to adjust the tire pressure every time I load or unload and I doubt that most of the readers here are either.
Again I am not an expert I am merely giving an opinion of my experiences and hope that whoever reads this understands I do not recommend doing anything that your dealer wouldn't endorse. I don't want to take responsibilty for anyones life or limb. I am merely stating an opinion.
Thank you.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 9:20 AM (#67652 - in reply to #67328)

Expert

To Houndog

I appreciate your input and respect your knowledge. I have also driven many miles over many years using max inflation tire pressures. I know what a hard ride is, and know the damage an under inflated tire can do. Until this episode, I have never had a tire failure, only flats caused by foreign objects.

The front end wear you allude to will not increase with higher tire pressures of 5-10 psi. It will change with higher weight loadings and will be significantly affected by damage due to underinflation. I have worked as a mechanic for over 35 years in the avaition field, 10 in the automotive field and seen many failed tires and attached structures.

For various reasons I only run trucks with SRWs and need a high load capacity to haul heavy weights. I am meticulous about maintenance and tire pressures for the safety of my family and my livestock.

Each truck owner has his own requirements and needs. To satisify these, each one of us purchases what he feels is the best combination for his situation. The result is a wide variety of products, all doing the same basic thing; carrying a load down the road.

To compare the load rating of a dually to a single rear wheel tire truck, one manufacturer to another, one size of truck to another is an apple orange issue.The issue at hand is "what load is the tire capable of carrying?"

Best of luck

Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-11 9:11 PM (#67704 - in reply to #67328)

Veteran

So glad no one was hurt! I just went out and checked and these tires are on my 2002 Dodge. I bought the truck used and they were on there. So I am understanding there was a recall but only on certain vehicles? So I need to cough up some money and put new tires on my truck?
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 9:33 PM (#67709 - in reply to #67704)

Expert

Check and see if your tires were recalled, if they are it shouldn't matter what vehicle they are on.  Most people think of the Explorer with firestone recalls because they came from the factory with them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)