'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Venting...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-16 1:25 PM
19 replies, 5489 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 10:35 PM (#67630)
Subject: Venting...

Okay, so today was not so great with either of my horses...

The 5-year-old Appy mare does great when it's time to come in - I can walk up to her anywhere in the field, put a halter on her and lead her in (leading was an issue for a while, but her ground manners have become much better since I bought her). The problem I have is with lunging her. She will lunge great in one direction (going counter-clockwise), but when it's time to go the other way she stops, backs up, rears, attempts to come toward me (being VERY pushy), anything to keep me from getting beside her and pushing her in that direction. I just found an article online about this very thing and plan to work with her more on that, but if anyone has any additional suggestions, I would love to hear them.

The second problem - and the most frustrating - is my 20-year-old QH mare. She is in a field with a decent sized herd of other mares (15-17), and whenever we attempt to catch her, she runs. She will play this "game" of hers for hours. In the past we've been able to entice her with grain (which I hate to do because of the other horses in the field), but today even that didn't work. My husband and I caught both "girls" and trailered them to Grave's Mountain yesterday (the grain trick worked yesterday morning), had a nice ride and took them home (they're both boarded elsewhere). I went out to get her this evening - with grain - and never could catch her. She would come in close and reach for the bucket, but as soon as she saw the lead rope, she ran - over and over and over again. Other boarders at the farm can walk into the field and she'll walk right up to them! I've only had this mare for 2 years and she was pretty much "ruined" by youngsters before I bought her (she learned if she kicked, bit, etc., it would scare the kids and they wouldn't ride her), but she knows we won't put up with her antics. However, this running away stuff has to stop or I'm going to seriously consider selling her as a broodmare. She has excellent bloodlines (she's out of the King line and can be registered FQHA in addition to her AQHA registration), and I really don't WANT to sell her, but I'm at my wit's end. Any advice?

Thanks for letting me vent. My family - not horse people - just doesn't understand my frustration...

Edited by TrishC 2007-09-10 10:36 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 11:32 PM (#67631 - in reply to #67630)
Subject: RE: Venting...

Expert

If you are truly at your wits end you'd already have sold them.  I've had a few older mares that were nasty to catch but leaving them outside and alone for a few nights can change their tunes pretty fast.  This (both problems) stems from them not seeing you as head mare, sounds like some serious attitude adjusting with some round pen "reasoning" is in order for both of your "ladies."

I like John Lyons round pen methods the best.  When those legs get tired it's amazing how fast they change their way of thinking.  You might round pen them and then let them run with the herd, don't work a horse once you've caught them...it's called negative reinforcement.

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 11:50 PM (#67633 - in reply to #67631)

Originally written by huntseat on 2007-09-10 12:32 AM

If you are truly at your wits end you'd already have sold them. You might round pen them and then let them run with the herd, don't work a horse once you've caught them...it's called negative reinforcement.

Not true. This catching problem with the 20-year-old only started a couple weeks ago, once the trailer and trips were brought into the picture. She would walk away before, then stop and let us catch her, but she never started running until we bought the trailer and started making both horses load as practice. I have no intention of selling the 5-year-old - she's a sweetheart - but am seriously considering selling the other mare at this point. If I had my own property where I could work with them daily, it might not be so bad. However, I'm having to drive 1-1/2 hours round trip to see the horses, so I only go down to the farm 2-3 times a week after work, and try to take them trail riding on weekends. The farm's round pen is currently missing two panels, so round penning is not an option and neither is putting her in a stall/paddock overnight, because there's no available room (all stalls are filled). There are many, many times I do go to the farm just to bring the girls in, brush them and give them a bit of grain, so she's not getting worked after being caught every single time. Any other suggestions?

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-11 12:58 AM (#67636 - in reply to #67630)

Expert

Any other suggestions?

Nope.  Just going to sit here and listen to your excuses about why other folks good advice won't work "in your situation."  (That is if anyone dares offer any after that response.)

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-11 7:31 AM (#67643 - in reply to #67630)

Expert

Nothing to offer here. if your not able or willing to change up your situation in order to solve problems, then your stuck.

kraigrrr
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 8:33 AM (#67646 - in reply to #67630)

how long has she been at that barn??? when I moved my daughters horse I could not catch him for 2 months.... I used every method possible.... finally started to use sweet feed and now I can catch him every time no problem.... but I also see him every day..... that makes a huge change in their personality.

as for the lunging... it all starts with setting who is in control... I would hobble her and then work with getting her to move ... this will get her to know that you are in control.... you can also do a lot of flexing work on the ground and this will build a level of respect as well...... I do alot of ground work with my horses but very little lunging... I think too many people lunge and don't know why they are doing it... if you spend more time working on flexing and bending/softness you will find the horse will lunge naturally because it knows who is the boss.... I hope this makes sense??? if you call me I can explain better.... 214-402-8898

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-11 11:05 AM (#67657 - in reply to #67630)

Veteran

I had a horse out of the King Blood Line, I would not have sold that horse for a Million Bucks, he had to be put down this time last year due to COPD, anyways. I don't know how big the pasture is that your mare is in but,if my horses don't come to me right away I make them run,I chase them, and then after a few minutes they want to stop I don't let them, I keep chasing them and chasing them until they are plum worn out they eventually they figure out if they run from me it means much more work for them. And I don't mean chase her at top speed just make her keep moving even if it is at a slow trot make her move.Then when she is caught it makes it seems like a reward because she gets to quit moving.
JMO I know that some pastures are just too big for this and you would wear out before the mare, but its just a suggestion.
Or you could use the old Dog collar trick, put a dog collar around her ankle and attach a small chain to it so that when she runs it is painful for her.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 12:58 PM (#67663 - in reply to #67657)

Veteran

Originally written by Monsterhorse on 2007-09-11 11:05 AM

I don't know how big the pasture is that your mare is in but,if my horses don't come to me right away I make them run,I chase them, and then after a few minutes they want to stop I don't let them, I keep chasing them and chasing them until they are plum worn out they eventually they figure out if they run from me it means much more work for them. And I don't mean chase her at top speed just make her keep moving even if it is at a slow trot make her move.Then when she is caught it makes it seems like a reward because she gets to quit moving. JMO I know that some pastures are just too big for this and you would wear out before the mare, but its just a suggestion.

I agree with this for the most part.  It is time consuming and hard work, but it pays off in the end.  I wouldn't want a 40 acre pasture to try it in, but it does work for me.

Hobbling a horse that's never had em on is not a smart idea.  And the dog collar trick?  Heck, there was a "good ol' boy" around here that used to take an old red rider (bb gun) and shoot his horse if it ran away in the pasture.  Worked, but not a well respected idea. 

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 2:18 PM (#67670 - in reply to #67630)

Veteran

Huntseat and Farmbabe-how is she suppose to make those changes? She explained why those things that you suggested won't work for her. That does not mean she is refusing your help, but she needs another suggestion that might work better for her.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 3:57 PM (#67678 - in reply to #67630)

oh heck, I'll wade in here.....I like Monsterhorse's suggestion, but if it is impractical to do on foot, perhaps you could use a 4 wheeler, lawnmower or some other conveyance.  I have used my truck in this type of situation.  Had new knees put in on June 18 so I'm not going to run very far or long but I will make the horse come up, even if it means using a vehicle.  Our place is 46 acres with no cross fencing so I understand the issue of the size of the field.

As to lunging, I use a lunge whip which helps the horse to turn and go on.  I point with it, smack the ground behind the horse, and if that doesn't work, then a quick smart whack on the rump.  If available, using a round pen without a lunge line, just the whip, is my preference.

And as I often do, I recommend Mark Rashid's books.  Valuable advice and wonderful stories too.

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 4:42 PM (#67684 - in reply to #67670)

Originally written by stablemom on 2007-09-11 3:18 PM

Huntseat and Farmbabe-how is she suppose to make those changes? She explained why those things that you suggested won't work for her. That does not mean she is refusing your help, but she needs another suggestion that might work better for her.

Thank you Stablemom. My ultimate plan is to go out later this week - once the weather is a bit more tolerable here in Virginia - and run the stubborness out of her. There's a "Gator" (four-wheeler) at the farm that we can use, so I'll use that and my lunge whip if needed, but her fat, stubborn butt is going to move until she's tired of moving! I love her to death, but I just don't have hours to spend chasing her every time I go down to ride her, so I'm going to make her adjust her thinking to MY way of thinking - lol

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 5:09 PM (#67686 - in reply to #67684)

Veteran

No CHASING with the Gator.  Just keep her moving, but not to the point she's freaked and flying around.  She's gonna stop every now and again and drop her head to graze - get off the dern machine and see if she's willing to aproach you - if not, follow her around summore.  Then IMMEDIATELY when she shows a sign of coming to you, you have to look unoffensive - (oh, how to make a Gator look unscary?).    So much easier to relay your body languange on foot and without an ATV.  But, gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.  How big is this pasture?  Also, don't think this miracle will happen in one short lesson.  You may have to repeat this a few times, and each time you have to back off that pressure at the right moment.  Once you do get that halter on her, lead her to the gate, praise her (treat) and that's it, lesson over.  Go home, have a beer.  Done for the day, then repeat the next day.  I preceed the reward with a big ol' whistle.  Now I whistle, they come.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 5:10 PM (#67687 - in reply to #67684)

Expert

My daughters mare used to run from me in the pasture.  I would just keep walking after her.  The first couple of times it took hours.  Then when I caught her I would pat her or brush her (carry the brush) right where I caught her and walk away.  If she walked away from me before I was ready we started all over.  I walked away first. 

I know it probally wont help you, but I also would catch my other horses and leave her in the field alone.  She hated it and would come to me.  The first few times I ignored her while I brushed/fed the others.  She is still not always the easiest horse to catch, but normally she will only walk away a few steps before stopping. 

Oh, and for this mare, she was abused/starved when I got her and I had to learn that when I walked up to her head she took that as an agressive move and was frightened.  Now when I approach her I look at her shoulder and talk to her.  I've had her for almost 5 years now and still if I look in her face while I approach she will start backing off.

Edited by Terri 2007-09-11 5:14 PM
TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 5:14 PM (#67688 - in reply to #67686)

Originally written by Hank on 2007-09-11 6:09 PM

No CHASING with the Gator. Just keep her moving, but not to the point she's freaked and flying around. She's gonna stop every now and again and drop her head to graze - get off the dern machine and see if she's willing to aproach you - if not, follow her around summore.

I'm not going to "chase" her. The horses LOVE the Gator - they are in no way afraid of it - so it's not going to be scary to them. The girls at the farm use the Gator to go check on the horses in the field all the time and usually end up giving them treats, so the horses have learned to look forward to the Gator approaching. My plan is to keep her moving and there's no way I can do this on foot, because their pasture is HUGE and I'm not in tip-top physical shape. I would wear out much quicker than she would, which would only defeat my purpose. Hope this makes sense now...

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 8:41 PM (#67701 - in reply to #67630)

Regular

I just bought a new horse and the guy said he often walks off when you have a lead rope in your hand. My pasture is a hilly 3 acres. If I don't have a lot of time, I catch my other horse first and lead him to the barn, the new horse follows and I halter him at the barn. (I usually bare back the older horse because I'm too lazy to walk the hills back to the barnjavascript:smilie('9','%3Cimg%20src=HTTP://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/emoticons/icon_aug1.gif%20border=0%3E'); )Lately, I've been working on better trailer loading with the new horse. My older horse usually comes running up to the fence or barn when we call because he gets a little sweet feed from us. The new horse is catching on and is coming up first now. We also bought some crappy sweet corn and I feed them an ear over the fence each day or so. Last night when I was on the deck, the older horse heard my voice and went right to the fence. I didn't have any treats, I just talked to him from the deck. The new horse came up too. It seems that giving food works best for my spoiled brats. Before we had the barn, we kept the grain in our basement which is near the fence -sort of. My husband spoils them worse than I do. It got to the point that when he heard the door open, he come up quickly and calling out for treats. So, I recommend giving treats or some sort. My mom has horses that are purely pastured and don't "rely" on her for anything. They are INCREDIBLY hard to catch. She has to lock them up at the barn the night before to ride. But she also doens't put any time into teaching them anything better.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 7:57 AM (#67726 - in reply to #67688)

Veteran

Originally written by TrishC on 2007-09-11 5:14 PM

I'm not going to "chase" her. The horses LOVE the Gator - they are in no way afraid of it - so it's not going to be scary to them. The girls at the farm use the Gator to go check on the horses in the field all the time and usually end up giving them treats, so the horses have learned to look forward to the Gator approaching. My plan is to keep her moving and there's no way I can do this on foot, because their pasture is HUGE and I'm not in tip-top physical shape. I would wear out much quicker than she would, which would only defeat my purpose. Hope this makes sense now...

Sounds like you've got the right idea.  It's all about pressure, and when to give.  Terry's got some good points, too.  Give it a try, and don't give up.  Soon enough she'll figger out it's easier to get caught than it is to keep away.  Good Luck!

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 9:41 PM (#67780 - in reply to #67630)

Went out and got the 5-year-old today. Did some ground work, then fed and brushed her and turned her out. Got the Gator and some grain and went out to catch the 20-year-old. As we pulled up on the Gator, she gave a short burst of running away, then stopped, turned around, walked up and promptly put her head in the grain bucket, at which time my son dropped a rope around her neck. I then put her halter on and led her in. After giving her grain and doing a thorough grooming on her, we turned her back out. All in all, a MUCH better day than Monday!

Now to see if we can catch her again on Friday and put her in a stall for the night (there are quite a few empty stalls the rest of the week due to the owner and some others from the farm going to the QH Futurity in Lexington VA). We're leaving Saturday for our week-long camping trip and I don't want to spend half the day trying to catch her, so I'm putting her in a stall to be safe - LoL

Thanks for all the tips :)
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-13 7:51 AM (#67800 - in reply to #67630)

Veteran

Try it without the grain pail next time.  The reward has to come after the catch.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-09-13 11:29 AM (#67814 - in reply to #67630)

Extreme Veteran

I've used a gator for the last 5 years to catch horses that didn't want to be caught.  They soon learned that if they didn't run from it, they didn't get tired out because I made them go until they wanted to be haltered.  They were never afraid of it even at the beginning.  It was just fun and games time with them.  I don't have to waste hours chasing them over a 40 acre pasture and it's especially nice when the pasture's muddy or covered with a rare occasional snow.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-09-16 1:25 PM (#67983 - in reply to #67630)

Extreme Veteran

As for your lunging issues, I'm always reluctant to give help on a forum without actually seeing the person interact with the horse. Mostly as people get offended more than they really want help with their problem. You know, the, 'No your wrong it's the horse that's the problem not me.', but I'm feeling daring and going to try anyway. Unless the horse has had an injury that makes moving in one direction less comfortable than the other, it is usually the person that is not as clear giving their signals in one direction than the other. Even an ambidextrous person that doesn't practice using both hands will have a weaker side. So I say practice lunging without the horse until you feel as comfortable holding the whip and lunge line, ask a friend to play horse, they can tell you when you are pulling on the lunge (even if you don't realise you are doing it) in both directions. Switch hands when you switch directions. Clear signals and consistency are the key. You can use your own signals, but I tend to hold the whip parallel to the ground for walk, at a 45* angle up for trot, and a 90* angle for canter. I use voice commands as well, I give them time to respond ask again, then I will hit the ground with the whip solidly until I get the desired response. I find using a 4 ft stock whip with a short popper most effective for this and way more effective than cracking a whip, and especially than hitting the horse with the whip. I keep my lunge sessions short and don't always lunge, but my horses are turned out every day.

As for catching your other horse. One of the things that works in a pasture full of horses, is go pet some of the other horses first. Your horse will often get curious and come over to you, especially if you are petting her buddy. I'd go out on the days you don't want to ride her and just pet her out in pasture and leave. I'm with you about not wanting treats in a pasture full of horses. Tends to get everyone excited and once your horse and the others are excited, just makes it harder. I like the suggestion of a treat at the gate (after exiting I'm thinking) and blowing a whistle. Make catching a pleasant experience.

I'd be careful chasing your horses around the pasture with motorized vehicles. It may work for one person, but I'd think there would be too much risk in sending your horse and the others through the fence.  Also not keen on kick chains or bb guns. But I like to keep the interactions between me and my horses as pleasant as possible.

Edited by Yvette 2007-09-16 1:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)