'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tire pressures RE: Firestone tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-11 8:37 AM
0 replies, 2353 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 8:37 AM (#67647)
Subject: Tire pressures RE: Firestone tires

Expert

This forum is remarkable in that so many knowledgeable people freely contribute their wealth of information. It is a perfect venue to learn what you need to know before you go out and make mistakes.

The Firestone tire issue I initially posted, has produced a large number of opinions on what is the proper inflation pressure for various equipment. There are apparently two different groups that consider their recommendations the best. One abides by the placard on the vehicle, the other by the tire ratings posted by the tire manufacturers.

I have always been a member of the second. My goal isn't to have a comfortable ride, it's to have my rig at it's most efficient opperating capability. I want the highest load factor I can get from my tires, while running at the coolest temperature for the longest lifespan as possible.

To run at this level, I have to use the presssure recommendations posted on the tire's sidewall. Each manufacturer has its ratings displayed on each tire. There are many specifications listed, including tread wear, adhesion,  load rating and opperating psi..

The truck manufacturer doesn't provide these, the tire manufacturer does. It has determined that based on its manufacturing materials and testing that its tire has certain capabilities. If that tire is used as specified, it should perform to the provided ratings.

I am currently using Bridgestone and Goodyear tires on my trailers. My truck had Firestone and now has Goodrich tires. All of these have an "E" range load rating and as marked by the manufacturers, need 80 psi to provide their maximum load ratings.

As I stated in my Firestone posting, the tire dealer, who sells many brands, recommended that with my heavy loads,  I run them at 80 psi, and he inflated my new set of Goodrich tires to that pressure.

The vehicle placard on the door is a best all around pressure recommendation for a good load factor and comfort. This is where Ford and Firestone got into a pissing match. Ford wanted a softer pressure for a better ride. The tires ran hotter and many failed. Firestone initially agreed with Ford that it would work, the rest is history. They were running tire pressures in the mid to high 20s on SUVs weighing 2 - 2 1/2 tons!! My cars run 32 - 35 psi.

When show season ends in a few weeks, I will drop my truck pressures down to aprox 65 psi when my trailers are pickeled for the winter. I rarely use my truck for heavy hauling during the winter, and don't need the extra load capacity.

BTW my original Firestones had almost 60% of their tread left when one failed at 29k. The wear was even across the tread, indicating that it was not overinflated at 80 psi.

Thanks again for all of your input. Keep safe and happy. Best of luck

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)