'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Arthritis help ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-10 11:37 PM
9 replies, 4565 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 3:06 AM (#67493)
Subject: Arthritis help ?

Regular

I'm looking for suggestions on a horse that has arthritis in his hocks . The veterinarian has confirmed with x-rays that there is cartilage damage on a 6 year old horse's hocks . I had a injection done on the hocks which only helped for 3 months . I have been giving the horse bute before riding , and it seems to help for part of the time . The vet's advise for now was try the bute , and then if that doesn't help he was going to prescribe some type of medication that I would rub on the hocks . The other option is for the vet to fuse the hocks , however as he explains it there is some concern with the procedure .

I'm just curious if any body has some suggestions on the over the counter joint supplements or any other treatment I could try . I trust the vet. I'm using , but I also like to hear from other people who have experience with what I'm describing. Thank you .

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 3:29 PM (#67518 - in reply to #67493)
Subject: RE: Arthritis help ?

Extreme Veteran

I have an older mare who has terrible arthritis in her knees.  A few months ago I started her on BL pellets.  It seems to be hlping her.  She moves more freely in the field and spends less time lying down.

BL Pellets are available from Country Supply.

It cannot be given to mares in foal!!

RIDE ON!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 4:19 PM (#67527 - in reply to #67493)

Expert

I've got a mare with arthritis in her hips and have had her on Cortaflx for 3 years now and it has helped her tremendously.  Now she only gets sore if we do a lot of hills.

I started our "new" gelding on it and he has improved quite a bit.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 7:16 PM (#67540 - in reply to #67493)

Extreme Veteran

depends on what part of the hock the joints are fusing.  Just my opinion but I sure wouldn't give bute then ride a horse.   Many times once the hocks fuse the horse will be sound.  also depends on what the horse is used for.  If something like high level reining or jumping maybe you should change his career.  are his feet balanced well?  having shoes on the back will help stablize the hock also. 

one of my endurance horses has horrible hocks but as long as I warmed him up properly before riding he did well  in 50 and 100 mile races.    we went thru several rounds of hock injections, cortaflex, cosequin, adaquin IM, legend IV, etc etc.   I'm not really sure anything made a difference except in my wallet.  honestly I think stretching and proper warm up and a good farrier helped more than anything else. 

he's 21 now and altho not doing endur. anymore we're trail riding for fun and on a dressage quadrille team.  I'm sure on x ray his hocks right now would look pretty scary. 

cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 7:29 PM (#67542 - in reply to #67493)

Regular

We own an older gelding, 25 yr old now. Got him at 16, had been used hard in team roping. Started adding Fluid Flex on top of feed, really made a difference for him. My girls barrel raced and pole bended on him the last 8 years, no problems. He was very sure footed and fast times with this stuff. Pranced around the lot like a 5 year old some days!! Sure could tell if we missed a few days, he would be stiff. Has glucosamine/chondroitin, plus other vitamins. There are many out there, but this stuff works for us. Before we started using this, we could hardly get the old boy to raise his feet for cleaning/trimming. Our farrier even noticed the difference also. This contains the same ingred. we humans use for our stiff joints, which as I get "older" , ( hate that "word" ) I need my gluc/chondr. daily too!!  I have given him bute AFTER a day of working, but not before.......that stuff masks the problem too much. He could possibly hurt himself, without feeling it if you give it before a workout or ride. The liquid we give him daily, increases the synovial fluid in the joints, on a daily basis. Helps lubricate the joints, to reduce imflammation, it's not a pain med. Good luck!

huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 8:21 PM (#67547 - in reply to #67493)

Regular

Thanks every body for the information . I'm hoping the hocks will fuse by them selves . The x-rays are showing some bone growth like they will fuse , but the question is when .

I will have to think about the bute , and then the riding . The vet had suggested the bute a couple of hours before riding , and it had seemed to help some . All my riding is long mountain trail rides , and the horse all ways has shoes all the way around . Based on his actions I would say he is feeling good on the trail , until there is a long steep down hill section or rough and rocky down hills that is the only time he acts like he is hurting . Thanks again .

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 1:08 PM (#67597 - in reply to #67547)

Expert

huntinfool, you should know most horse's hocks fuse by age 5...you may be looking at other more serious issues
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 1:39 PM (#67601 - in reply to #67493)

Expert

http://www.todayshorse.com/Experts/DrJahiel/AskDrJahiel-Fusing%20Hocks.htm

YMMV
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 7:14 PM (#67617 - in reply to #67493)

Veteran

I would suggest that you put the horse on MSM and you look into trying shockwave therapy.  You might also find out exactly what your vet is using in the joint injections he gave your horse.  Different vets use different things in their joint injections, some work better than others.

I have a 14 year old head horse that had severe arthritis in his hocks when I bought him at age 6.  It takes a lot of maintenance to keep him sound, but at 14, he is still going good.  One vet was giving him joint injections and they weren't doing much.  I switched to a vet that specializes in lameness and he's got my horse going great.  We are now going to try shockwave therapy to see if that will help us go longer in between injections.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 11:37 PM (#67632 - in reply to #67617)

Expert

Cortisone injections will speed the process up if in fact it is fusion taking place.  Cortisone softens the bones and allows degeneration to "fast-track."

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)