'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
We had a little accident : (

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-07 2:05 PM
13 replies, 4507 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Luckyduck
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-04 8:40 PM (#65131)
Subject: We had a little accident : (

I took my first trip ever in my BRAND NEW 3 horse LQ to a ride this weekend and misjudged a corner and took out the front tire on the driver side on a curb. saw the tire go up and over the edge of the curb, and the fall off. Bent the rim, and flattened the tire (Thank God we got a spare). Once we got the spare on, everythign seemed ok, but once we got home my husband noticed that the tire looks tilted a bit. its not rubbing when it rolls, but you can see that it rubbed the inside flashing in the wheel well. we got up underneath the trailer and everything looks ok, but the tire is definately not exactly in line with the other tire. It drove perfectly all the way home (1 hour), but my husband is freaking out that I bent the axle. If I did bend it can it be fixed? Will it drive the same when they fix it? I've heard that metal has a memory and that twisted axles and such usually don't stay once they are fixed. Any suggestions? I feel like the biggest idiot in the world, I'm just sick about this!!! 34
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-04 9:33 PM (#65135 - in reply to #65131)
Subject: RE: We had a little accident : (

Expert

Luckyduck ... Poop happens... don't continue to beat yourself. 

No one was injured.... right?    People and horses are unique and can't be replaced.  Axles are only metal constructs and can be replaced.  It'll only cost a bit of money and hassle.   Accept a loss of a few hundred dollars (worse case) and be glad you're okay.

I've been there too... (busted stuff)

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-05 9:08 AM (#65158 - in reply to #65131)

Extreme Veteran

We have an older (late '70s) Ponderosa stock trailer that we use for short trips.  Two years ago, hubby ddropped it off the side of the road (sightseeing while driving).  When we stopped a few miles down the road, we found the front wheel on the passenger side was completely GONE!   The axle had broken right at the shackle.  We limped home on three wheels and called the local RV place.  They contacted the company that made the axle.  We took pics and sent them to the company and they sent us a new axle...FREE!  They said that regardless of the age, the axle never should have broken like that.

So, my advice would be to first contact the place where you bought the trailer - since yours is new, there may be a warranty.  If that doesn't work, then find out who made the axle and contact them.

Trailer axles should be able to withstand taking a curb once in a while.  If the axle is bent, it may have been defective to begin with.

Just my two cents.

RIDE ON!

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-05 9:41 AM (#65162 - in reply to #65131)

Veteran

Been there done something like that too.Just can't see why NEW lqs trailer axle would be outa line and in such bad condition when never ruined tire or hada flat????POOR axle POOR trailer constuction.....DEALER should repair or replace it.Please let us know what brand trailer it is.Accidents happen and yours never should of bent axle.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-05 10:20 AM (#65167 - in reply to #65162)

Expert

Originally written by Paints on 2007-08-05 8:41 AM

Been there done something like that too.Just can't see why NEW lqs trailer axle would be outa line and in such bad condition when never ruined tire or hada flat????POOR axle POOR trailer constuction.....DEALER should repair or replace it.Please let us know what brand trailer it is.Accidents happen and yours never should of bent axle.

Paints... OP hit a curb during a turn.  That implies a sideway impact force component.  Axles and wheels are designed to take some abuse from potholes and road debris in a straight line.  Side forces are another story. 

The DEALER  or trailer builder isn't an insurance company to pay for all sorts of abuse or misadventure.  That sort of attitude makes all the dealers look at legitimate warranty work with an eye toward abuse.  And, I can't blame them.

No... I am not a dealer or connected to a trailer builder.

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-08-05 10:57 AM (#65173 - in reply to #65131)

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-08-05 11:02 AM (#65174 - in reply to #65131)

if you hit a curb hard enough to bend the rim, you have, most likely, bent your axle.  If it's torsion-around $800, if its the old springs, probably can bend it back? You may have loosen the axle box that holds the axles to the trailer??  Manufacters have NO liability for your driving decisions, like hosspuller said.

Edited by beenaround 2007-08-05 11:03 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-05 11:41 AM (#65178 - in reply to #65131)

Expert

Originally written by Luckyduck on 2007-08-04 7:40 PM

I took my first trip ever in my BRAND NEW 3 horse LQ to a ride this weekend and misjudged a corner and took out the front tire on the driver side on a curb. saw the tire go up and over the edge of the curb, and the fall off. Bent the rim, and flattened the tire (Thank God we got a spare). Once we got the spare on, everythign seemed ok, but once we got home my husband noticed that the tire looks tilted a bit. its not rubbing when it rolls, but you can see that it rubbed the inside flashing in the wheel well. we got up underneath the trailer and everything looks ok, but the tire is definately not exactly in line with the other tire. It drove perfectly all the way home (1 hour), but my husband is freaking out that I bent the axle. If I did bend it can it be fixed? Will it drive the same when they fix it? I've heard that metal has a memory and that twisted axles and such usually don't stay once they are fixed. Any suggestions? I feel like the biggest idiot in the world, I'm just sick about this!!! 34

I didn't answer some of your questions.

"...The wheels looks tilted AND it's rubbing the trailer..."  The spindle or axle IS bent / displaced.  It didn't drive perfectly, it just got you home. Did the other wheel hit or go over the curb?  You may have more damage than you can see.  Take it back to the dealer and ask if they're equiped to check, repair and align axles after this sort of damage.  (not all dealers have a full repair shop.  some just sell trailers ) If not, find a shop that can.  You don't have to use the dealer although most dealers will have the parts and capability.  If the repair is done correctly, the trailer will pull as it was when new.

Steel generally does not have a memory.  It does have a yield point.  Steel forced past its yield point is somewhat compromised.  BUT... axles can be straightened depending on the amount of bend.  Only some one looking at your axle can tell you if it can be repaired.

Luckyduck
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 12:07 PM (#65179 - in reply to #65131)

The other tire did not go over the curb just the first tire. and when we were looking at the flashing, the rub marks look like it only rubbed when I hit the curb, not the whole time I was driving. I'm not looking to try and get a new axle for free, I just want my trailer to be safe for me and my ponies. I'm going to take into the dealer (also repair shop) on Monday and see what the damage is. hopefully the warranty can take care of some of the damage (do they have a stupid driver clause?) I know everyone down at the shops going to have a laugh, seing as I nitpicked about this and that on the trailer and now I do this to it. Oh well, I guess I just broke it in real well. From what  y'all are writing it sounds like it maybe a straight forward fix. Thanks for the help!@@@

Edited by Luckyduck 2007-08-05 12:09 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-05 8:04 PM (#65206 - in reply to #65179)

Expert

Originally written by Luckyduck on 2007-08-05 12:07 PM

The other tire did not go over the curb just the first tire. and when we were looking at the flashing, the rub marks look like it only rubbed when I hit the curb, not the whole time I was driving. I'm not looking to try and get a new axle for free, I just want my trailer to be safe for me and my ponies. I'm going to take into the dealer (also repair shop) on Monday and see what the damage is. hopefully the warranty can take care of some of the damage (do they have a stupid driver clause?) I know everyone down at the shops going to have a laugh, seing as I nitpicked about this and that on the trailer and now I do this to it. Oh well, I guess I just broke it in real well. From what y'all are writing it sounds like it maybe a straight forward fix. Thanks for the help!@@@

USUALLY if the front wheel hops the curb so does the rear one - and more so because it short tracks even more than the front. It doesn't suffer as much impact, because the trailer is already lifted.
Anyway, from your description(s) it sounds as if you bent it. I think you should get it to the dealer for a THOROUGH check-out. It is most likely a Torque-Flex, i.e. NOT just two wheels on the same axle that runs straight across.

This is a LOT easier to do on right hand turns when you're starting out with a goosie, because you are already on the right side of the road - etc.
Seems to me you may need some basic trailer handling practice. I think of it as taking my turns "later", more than I think of "wider" as some folk describe it. The other thing to keep in mind is "truck on the outside of the curve", especially when the road gets twisty.
Luckyduck
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 12:29 AM (#65215 - in reply to #65131)

Yeah I do need more practice. I thought a few dry runs around town would be enough, but obviously not. I understand what you mean by later turns, driving farther out and then make the turn, that makes sense. I think I panicked a bit too, becase I was turning off a hiway onto a very narrow bridge and that is when I hit. I was rushing a bit becase I didnt want to get hit by a car from behind coming fast down the hil. Anyway, the salesman who sold us the trailer is also a family friend and he came over and said it was probably a $500-600 fix. I guess our axles bolt on, not welded on, which means it's easier to change out? Thanks for the advice everyone!
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-08-06 9:47 PM (#65285 - in reply to #65131)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for sharing that.I have noticed that if you turn a gooseneck and stop about half way, the tires look out of alighnment then look ok when you are straighened out.Those darn goosenecks cut corners and scare the heck out of you sometimes.

Don't feel bad you are not the last or the first person to do that.

Did you have springs or torshon bars ?

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-08-06 9:48 PM (#65286 - in reply to #65131)

Elite Veteran

Letus know how it turns out. Thanks.And sorry.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-08-07 2:05 PM (#65335 - in reply to #65131)

Extreme Veteran

Everyone makes a bobo from time to time. The longer the trailer the worse it gets to move them about. I have dragged my dang steps twice since I got my trailer. Once turning onto the road from my dirt road. It's on a small curve that has a slight banking which can high side my trailer. I didn't have a problem the first couple of times and then, crunch....., Yeap, I threw a fit all in the road because I did it. The other time was making a right hand turn out of the riding club. Car flew up on me and I had to pinch my turn to be out of his lane. Not much damage but just makes you mad as fire because you got in a hurry. Now I just take my time no matter what. People will just have to get POed and be patient. Ain't that a hoot, like people these days have patients. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)