'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner Window Grates ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-23 10:23 PM
4 replies, 4385 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-22 9:12 PM (#61166)
Subject: Sundowner Window Grates ?

Elite Veteran

Hum...has this happen to anyone else?My new Sundowner has window grates installed. This allows me to drop down the windows and travel with the grates in place for breeze for my ponies.BUT...this weekend I learned that my da$$ pony Huginn figured out how to unlatch the metal grate! Grrr!!TWICE....twice I looked out my side mirror to see Huginn's head sticking out!I had to pull over to latch the grate up! I thought to myself "How the he## did I forget to latch the grate!?" I drove on.....20 minutes later...Huginn's head was sticking out AGAIN!!I have NO IDEA how he is unlatching it. I crawled into the trailer to see if somehow it was not catching, but it is.My guess is that Huginn is rubbing his nose on the latch release and popping the grate open?? GRRRR!!!The older Sundowner window grates had the bars from side to side. The new ones have the bars up and down...this allows a horse's (MY PONY'S) to rub the latch release. <:\What'cha guys think?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-23 8:13 AM (#61173 - in reply to #61166)
Subject: RE: Sundowner Window Grates ?

Regular

That sounds really strange! I have a hard time getting some of those grates down BY HAND!

You may want to double check it to see if it is latching correctly. It is easy for it to look like its latched, but it is really not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't see how a horse could unlatch these things if they are properly latched. Good luck!

trlmaven
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-23 3:41 PM (#61183 - in reply to #61166)

I'm a Sundowner dealer and we haven't heard of this problem either.  I'm sure you know to make sure the grate is latching into the black holder on the inside of the trailer, right in the center of the window. 

If your horse can still release it, please go back to your dealer and see if they can get the old style (horizontal bar) grates.  If they don't have any, they can call me as we have some on our lot. 

Risa at Trailers America (800) 466-4470 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-05-23 3:42 PM (#61184 - in reply to #61173)

Expert

Same here.I've thought that ours were latched too,but they really weren't.I give them a hard tug or two after slamming them shut to be sure.Have someone stand inside empty trailer and shut it like you normally do,to be sure that it really is latching.I am not saying it's impossible,tho.Horses will do some strange stuff.But they're pretty hard to open.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-23 10:23 PM (#61199 - in reply to #61183)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by trlmaven on 2007-05-23 3:41 PM

I'm a Sundowner dealer and we haven't heard of this problem either. I'm sure you know to make sure the grate is latching into the black holder on the inside of the trailer, right in the center of the window.

If your horse can still release it, please go back to your dealer and see if they can get the old style (horizontal bar) grates.

Hi...I did go into the trailer to make sure that the metal I was going all the way UP into the holder. It was. And he still got the window grate open. Could it be opening with the road bumps? Geez! Grrr! HA!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)